Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.06.2017, 09:51 PM   #49101
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
It's fine if it's not for you. But surprised you'd like Everything Will Be but not White Album. Shrug.
Old 09.06.2017, 10:00 PM   #49102
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
the thing about Weezer is they were never really cool. Think about it. Even Blue Album, that was kind of a fluke. They weren't moody or edgy or anything. They weren't really like the bands that were popular even then. But they did capture lightning in a bottle with that album.

Pinkerton? I loved it. And it was weird, but it didn't sell well and was slammed critically at the time. It was only deemed "cool" in hindsight. It grew a cult following or whatever you want to say.

Green/Maladroit - still not cool. They sort of fit in with some of the shit getting play like Strokes, Jimmy Eat World, White Stripes at the time. But they more appealed to Weezer FANS.

It's never been exactly cool to like Weezer. But whatever. To me it's almost the thing where they care so little about being cool that they're cool. I bet their moms think they're cool.

I'm happy to say that they're one of my absolute favorite bands.

In a weird way it's things we've talked about.... trash culture? I don't know. To some degree I feel like listening to this stuff hiding in plain sight is now more interesting to me than weird underground shit. Oddly, stuff like Weezer for example probably flies under more radars than way out-there stuff thanks to the internet and Spotify and Youtube and all.
Old 09.07.2017, 09:03 AM   #49103
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
the thing about Weezer is they were never really cool. Think about it. Even Blue Album, that was kind of a fluke. They weren't moody or edgy or anything. They weren't really like the bands that were popular even then. But they did capture lightning in a bottle with that album.

Pinkerton? I loved it. And it was weird, but it didn't sell well and was slammed critically at the time. It was only deemed "cool" in hindsight. It grew a cult following or whatever you want to say.

Green/Maladroit - still not cool. They sort of fit in with some of the shit getting play like Strokes, Jimmy Eat World, White Stripes at the time. But they more appealed to Weezer FANS.

It's never been exactly cool to like Weezer. But whatever. To me it's almost the thing where they care so little about being cool that they're cool. I bet their moms think they're cool.

I'm happy to say that they're one of my absolute favorite bands.

In a weird way it's things we've talked about.... trash culture? I don't know. To some degree I feel like listening to this stuff hiding in plain sight is now more interesting to me than weird underground shit. Oddly, stuff like Weezer for example probably flies under more radars than way out-there stuff thanks to the internet and Spotify and Youtube and all.

Interesting.

And you do whatever you want. Don't give a second thought to coolness. Cool, like punk, is really an illusion, and never something you can really be if you think it's what you are. Hah.

Personally, I thought Weezer was cool as fuck in the '90s. I remember, oddly enough, my father thought they were pussies (which is a weird thing for my father to think, since he knows goddamn well that he is a pussy). When the Blue Album was big and I talked about it, he'd kind of scoff. Like, "Weezer? Isn't that pretty much the farthest thing from Kurt Cobain?" I eventually played him the album and he made it through exactly 1.5 songs. Made me turn it off. Too loud. ��

Pinkerton sounded good to me when it came out too. I liked it from the start. But honestly, even if they'd come back in 2001 with another natural progression in the direction of the weird, I think my adolescence was just too wrapped up in these guys for the effect to last into adulthood.

Too many songs about girls and stuff. I think the era for me has been over forever, and I can't really appreciate it beyond nostalgia for the time. Every once in a while.

Also, I don't think I really "like" Everything Will Be Alright in the End, but I don't have beef with it, I guess. I don't own it or listen to it, I just didn't turn it off after one song. If I were to listen to anything else from Green to present, I would maybe not even last one song.

I can appreciate the pocket of sub-culture within mainstream culture that they've formed though. Really, I can. They have loyal fans and they seem to get new fans all the time. They're almost like Phish in that regard. Hated by millions, but adored by a constant and ever-growing (if slowly) number of new fans. I work with some fresh out of college kids, as I've mentioned, and they're not counterculture types, but a few of them really like Weezer. They were probably not even alive when The Blue Album came out... well, possibly... I think the youngest is 23. (Feel old yet, NR?)

Anyway, you do you man. I refer you again to my unapologetic love of Nine Inch Nails, who were kinda cool in their '90s heyday, then kinda not cool when everyone started following the "underground or nah!" trend, and then kinda got cool again, then broke up, then came back, and are now elder statesman of a specific kind of purist hip culture. They were just on Twin Peaks: The Return, by the way (rocked it) and have they have also found their place at the intersection between '80s industrial nostalgia, '90s alt-rock nostalgia, "serious" cultural auteurism and the quasi-underground. That tends to happen with old favorites who simply refuse to quit.

So... good for Weezer and good for NIN (fuck You Guest ) and good for everyone who listens to what they like without giving a fuck.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2017, 09:23 AM   #49104
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It's fine if it's not for you. But surprised you'd like Everything Will Be but not White Album. Shrug.

Let's not call it the White Album. Let's just call it White. It's not the White Album. The White Album is one of the greatest things in the history of music.

To WeezerWhite's credit though, I was surprised to hear how crunchy some of the riffs were. Crunchy and catchy at the same time, not just crunchy and tossed-off like on Maladroit or whatever. Also, "Endless Bummer" sounds like hi-hi Elliot Smith. Not that I am a huge Elliot Smith fan, but I had my "XO" and "Either/Or" eras just like everyone else, and I appreciate the influence.
I also think Weezer does best when they combine their love of sun and girls and dumbass shit with a kind of tortured sadness and some good old fashioned sexual frustration, which they seem to be doing a bit on That White Thing That Isn't The White Album.

It's not like it's the shittest shit ever shat. It's not like it's Drake and "DJ" Khaled, or the new Taylor Swift song, which is horrendously bad to a disappointing degree. It's not like it's... y'know... Train. Or Twentyonepilots.

Just not for me.
Old 09.07.2017, 03:39 PM   #49105
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Bush
Sixteen Stone

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2017, 05:51 PM   #49106
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Why does what I'm listening to bother you?
Old 09.08.2017, 06:32 AM   #49107
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Because Stone Temple Pilots are so much better.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2017, 07:21 AM   #49108
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Because Stone Temple Pilots are so much better.

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a dig at me or him or what. But I have to tell you guys, it was a lot more fun around here back when we all had different tastes and it was like... okay to discuss them. This thread is called "what are you listening to?" right? Like, I thought that's the question we were supposed to answer. Whatever I'm listening to, I've been putting in the effort to write up my thoughts here. But when I'm met with little memes saying "stop talking about that" it's encouraging me to just not bother posting my thoughts here.

Remember back in the day when atsonic would talk in depth about Korn? Or DrEugene would rave about ICP? Regardless how you felt about Korn or ICP, it was really interesting to me to hear thoughtfulness applied to music that normally isn't discussed that way. And personally I found the diversity interesting. But if it's preferred that we all only post in this thread as long as we're discussing some specific list of "SYG Approved" bands then whatever.
Old 09.08.2017, 07:40 AM   #49109
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Relax.

I'm sure I listen to some stuff that you'd find laughable.

But I hated that radio-friendly alterna-shit then and I hate it now. Your posts are more interesting than the records. Post about an interesting record and we have a winner.

I mean, post whatever you want, but don't be hurt if not everyone wants to get on the Bush train.

Besides, half (at least) of the fun of music is ripping on other people's taste. It's a rich tradition.

---

Replace the B with an R.

Been listening to a lot of Rush lately. Very frustrating. So silly, then brilliant; exciting, then a boring ass guitar solo.

At the moment I'm focused on their mid-80s synthy period. It's like new wave pop with brains, if Flock of Seagulls went to grad school or something.
Old 09.08.2017, 07:45 AM   #49110
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Lol at Bush/Rush.

It's not that I expect anyone to like what I'm posting about, it's just some of the dismissive comments. Like I said I'm at least trying to put thought and effort into what I'm listening to and sharing it here, which if think better than just posting an album cover and no comment. I mean if reactions were "never liked that band and here's why" that's one thing. When the response is something like soup's meme literally telling me to stop it makes me question why I would put in the effort to make a thoughtful post. That's all.

" Your posts are more interesting than the records."

^I appreciate that by the way. And that's what I was talking about w/ Korn/ICP... my point is that sometimes isn't it more interesting (or at least a change of pace!) to talk about bands (or any art) that you're not already subjecting yourself to? Like, wouldn't it be boring if we all only ever talked about the same bands?
Old 09.08.2017, 09:57 AM   #49111
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a dig at me or him or what. But I have to tell you guys, it was a lot more fun around here back when we all had different tastes and it was like... okay to discuss them. This thread is called "what are you listening to?" right? Like, I thought that's the question we were supposed to answer. Whatever I'm listening to, I've been putting in the effort to write up my thoughts here. But when I'm met with little memes saying "stop talking about that" it's encouraging me to just not bother posting my thoughts here.

Remember back in the day when atsonic would talk in depth about Korn? Or DrEugene would rave about ICP? Regardless how you felt about Korn or ICP, it was really interesting to me to hear thoughtfulness applied to music that normally isn't discussed that way. And personally I found the diversity interesting. But if it's preferred that we all only post in this thread as long as we're discussing some specific list of "SYG Approved" bands then whatever.

Hey, fuck that shit man. Half of these losers still think Kanye is millennial Puff Daddy. Hah. Don't worry about it.

If someone bites you, bite back. I think it's all in good fun anyway. Just say, "Shut the fuck, Soup Nazi," and keep doing your thing. He'll shut the fuck at least for a while. He has Wilco bobbleheads to polish.

I like reading people's thoughts on music even when I hate the music. And to be perfectly clear, I do strongly dislike a lot of the stuff you talk about (like Bush), but who gives a shit? I still read what you have to say about it.

"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum, bitches!"
Old 09.08.2017, 10:02 AM   #49112
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Lol at Bush/Rush.

It's not that I expect anyone to like what I'm posting about, it's just some of the dismissive comments. Like I said I'm at least trying to put thought and effort into what I'm listening to and sharing it here, which if think better than just posting an album cover and no comment. I mean if reactions were "never liked that band and here's why" that's one thing. When the response is something like soup's meme literally telling me to stop it makes me question why I would put in the effort to make a thoughtful post. That's all.

^^ He's talking about me you guys. Right, NR? Cuz I put in effort and engage? Cuz I'll shoot the shit about the music even when I think it's shit, and not bust your balls about it?

I'm pretty sure he's nodding.

Be more like me, assholes.
Old 09.08.2017, 10:21 AM   #49113
noisereductions
invito al cielo

the "bite back" thing, that's just not me. It's not my personality. Two assholes don't make a non-asshole. Or something.

I like when you discuss those albums w/ me. I don't need you to like what I like. But conversation is fun. Granted, if you just say "I want to punch him in the face," that's not great discussion. But talking about WHY you dont like something (or do like something) is fun and interesting to me.

I guess my point is that ANY conversation is preferred by me than just lazy memes or simple "that band sucks" kind of talk. If the thread turns into an echo chamber, or just each poster talking to themselves than what would be the point really?
Old 09.08.2017, 11:26 AM   #49114
evollove
invito al cielo

For some reason it's harder to communicate why something's good vs bad. And why bother when we're talking about crap designed to make a few people a bit richer a few decades ago?

Some things just suck.

btw, I really like the first Barenaked Ladies album, GORDON. Tons of witty songs and poignant moments. Possibly in my top 50. But I don't expect anyone else to enter into a comprehensive conversation around it.
Old 09.08.2017, 11:32 AM   #49115
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
btw, I really like the first Barenaked Ladies album, GORDON. Tons of witty songs and poignant moments. Possibly in my top 50. But I don't expect anyone else to enter into a comprehensive conversation around it.

this made me laugh. Thank you.

But at the same time your'e kind of proving my point. It's like you're saying there's this thing that you like but because you assume that nobody else will want to talk about it, why bother bringing it up? Right? You're actually sort of admitting that at this point the forum has this like singular taste that we should adhere to. Or something?

That kind of sucks though. I mean, I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. Like I said, I found writings about friggin' ICP interesting when the person writing about them was so into them.
Old 09.08.2017, 01:21 PM   #49116
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
i've been on a sonic youth-athon for like a week now. except for playing animal collective's 'tantrum barb' a couple of times it's been nothing but sy.
first it was bad moon on repeat, then gila monster a few times, then confusion on repeat, then i jumped ahead and picked out my favorites from the daydream through dirty era, then my favorites from the jammy 2000s era.

i know that's a probably 'who cares?' on this board, but it had been a long time since i've turned them on. such a great band. hence my brief reappearance.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2017, 10:53 PM   #49117
noisereductions
invito al cielo

That's great man. I still listen to them often. So I care! Haha
Old 09.09.2017, 12:25 PM   #49118
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
the "bite back" thing, that's just not me. It's not my personality. Two assholes don't make a non-asshole. Or something.

I like when you discuss those albums w/ me. I don't need you to like what I like. But conversation is fun. Granted, if you just say "I want to punch him in the face," that's not great discussion. But talking about WHY you dont like something (or do like something) is fun and interesting to me.

I guess my point is that ANY conversation is preferred by me than just lazy memes or simple "that band sucks" kind of talk. If the thread turns into an echo chamber, or just each poster talking to themselves than what would be the point really?

I don't mean actively argue necessarily. Just, y'know... if someone's a dick, it's fine to tell that person to shut it.

Btw: my desire to punch Drake in the face has evolved beyond language or reason at this point. It's just a fundamental, primal urge. It's probably neurochemical. So I might not be able to expand on that much.
Old 09.16.2017, 06:58 PM   #49119
Severian
invito al cielo

Zen Mother - "Tsumami Song" live at KEXP.

https://youtu.be/7_mybPuyugQ
Old 09.17.2017, 12:31 PM   #49120
Severian
invito al cielo

I just heard Jamie xx's "Gosh" for the first time in a while and even though I've largely written him off at this point I have to admit it's a good song. So I'm listening to that. I think I'm trying to convince myself it's shit, but I can't.
1956235624062446245324542455 2456 245724582459246625062556 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth