Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Real Music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.15.2009, 06:50 PM   #21
verme (prevaricator)
100%

verme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's asses
the professor seems to be an advocate of the music-appreciation racket.

the sort of thing that has kept me away from classical music.
verme (prevaricator) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2009, 06:50 PM   #22
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I can only imagine that the context is more than enough. I think if you're in a composition class it's more difficult to qualify the Beatles as 'real' music than it is to agree they're not 'real'.
And John Coltrane and various modern composers are easier to qualify as real music? What right does composition have to quality? It should be taken as indicative to the placement of the composition class if it isn't advanced enough to address complex music.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2009, 06:57 PM   #23
Seandi
stalker

Seandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's asses
I suppose any 12 tone modernism is what, the opposite of real music? And Charles Ives composed anti music.
Seandi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2009, 07:50 PM   #24
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
Heh, real music. Real music to me is something that moves you, that can change your mood completely and make you dance like a fucking crazy idiot or sob in a corner.

This. Examples: Andrew W.K., Current 93, and The Cure.
Old 07.15.2009, 07:53 PM   #25
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
IT'S TIME TO PARTY LET'S PARTY
HANG OUT WITYOSELF AND HAVE A CRAZY PARTY

Oh god.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 11:13 AM   #26
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Next time i'm in Tower Records I'm gonna ask them where there 'Real' music section is so i can see what's in it. That should settle it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 11:22 AM   #27
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
And John Coltrane and various modern composers are easier to qualify as real music? What right does composition have to quality? It should be taken as indicative to the placement of the composition class if it isn't advanced enough to address complex music.

I don't care about defining what makes music 'real'. It's something that isn't important to me. 'Real' in most musical conversations is understood as 'authentintically part of x'. Willie Nelson is not 'real' music in the context of a lecture on hip-hop.

Composition, as I either said or alluded to or intended to allude to, defines the parameters of description. It also tends to expand the vernacular of description. This is a null-statement.

The quality in the context of modern composition is not the same quality as in, say, Khoomei singing.

If I was teaching a class on music (and thank fuck I'm not), I would be very inclined to dismiss lots of sorts of music not because they're not good but because they're not conducive to the purposes of education. If, as a lecturer, I'd had 30+ years of people mentioning the Beatles, I'd probably dismiss them out of hands not on the grounds of their merits, but on the grounds that I'd be paid to explain fugues, not whether straberry fields forever is 'really' about acid.

I'm not intimating a sense of quality in any, I just reckon it just seems very self-explanatory that in a classical music class certain sorts of music are not really part of the deal. Obviously, you're right that Coltrane and the like potentially provide a challenge to that, and you could always put forward a Simon Williams-esque argument for Wonky, or whatever, ought to be included in the critical lexicon. But there is definitely a time and a place for that sort of criticism, and I imagine the hitherto mentioned professor was intimating this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 11:24 AM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
It depends. V/VM regularly posts on his forum, the guy from Pink Reason does that too on another forum, and also Jay Reatard, plus William Bennett seems to be on facebook every time I log in, Alec Empire literally posted on the same site that he loved chatting about the recording of his latest album etc etc. I used to think something similar to that, then it started making no sense whatsoever, since chatting on forums/networking sites isn't going to take away any motivation that you might have to make records, if you really have any.

There's always exceptions, and it does very much depend on the individual. Obviously, people like Herr Park are serial forummers as much as serial musicians. I suppose I'm imputing my own ideal-case music made by people who hate music. That's half a joke, obviously.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 07.16.2009, 11:40 AM   #29
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Paul Leary is a gold-star forum-poster.

the "new" album by Carny is almost 2 years overdue (and likely never to hit shelves).

coincidence? you tell me.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 11:43 AM   #30
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
his royalties may have plummeted but i'm sure his rep is triple platinum.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 11:50 AM   #31
Glice
invito al cielo

Butthole Surfers. Now there's a shit band.

Quote:
Old 07.16.2009, 11:52 AM   #32
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Carny > Butthole Surfers
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 11:59 AM   #33
Glice
invito al cielo

Whatever <> whatever.

Quote:
Old 07.16.2009, 01:27 PM   #34
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

If I was teaching a class on music (and thank fuck I'm not), I would be very inclined to dismiss lots of sorts of music not because they're not good but because they're not conducive to the purposes of education. If, as a lecturer, I'd had 30+ years of people mentioning the Beatles, I'd probably dismiss them out of hands not on the grounds of their merits, but on the grounds that I'd be paid to explain fugues, not whether straberry fields forever is 'really' about acid.

I'm not intimating a sense of quality in any, I just reckon it just seems very self-explanatory that in a classical music class certain sorts of music are not really part of the deal. Obviously, you're right that Coltrane and the like potentially provide a challenge to that, and you could always put forward a Simon Williams-esque argument for Wonky, or whatever, ought to be included in the critical lexicon. But there is definitely a time and a place for that sort of criticism, and I imagine the hitherto mentioned professor was intimating this.

This professor played trumpet which explains the Jazz obsession. Yes I do agree that in a classical learning atmosphere you will be taught the fuction, creation, and basic rules of writing and reading classical music. In the reality staying in that narrow minded world would limit the learning oppurtunities of what you can do to move classical music into modern times. The Beatle's music was not just about acid and hidden messages. They intigrated classical souds with Rock n Roll and did so very succesfully. There are many musical scores of the Beatle's that in my mind blow Mozart away.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 01:32 PM   #35
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
When I was in College, my Music Theory Profesor once said that " The Beatles are not REAL Music" To sum up the underlying meaning of that comment he was stating that in his opinion the only real music is Classical or Jazz. This excludes pretty much all of today's music and at least over a hundred years of musical progression that has evolved over this period.

What do you think? Is Classical the only REAL music? Is all Rock n Roll crap? Is Punk Trash? Does pop suck? Is Folk just 2 chords and no brains? Are the bands that we love and respect as serious musicians just making uneducated noise?

My Opinion: That professor has a narrow mind that is encrusted with the shit of the world. I absolutely love classical music, for the fact that I was classicaly trained. I have to admit though that it bores me at times. What is often overlooked is the classical influence that bands over the generations integrated in with thier own style. I have much more respect for them than some composer trying to pump out the same old Mozart style Score that has reused for centuries.
And I have to say that this is one of the reasons that I love Sonic Youth they have managed to take what most consider to be racket and mesh it into "Real Music"
To me music is not about how many notes you know, how fast you can play or even how outrageous you are. Real music is most often simple and arises out of pain and sometimes joy. Real music is hearing what someone is feeling and feeling it with them.
Music is a spirituality that brings you closer to god and you're inner being. It's also quite fun to have around when you get trashed and need to get some of that little troubled girl out of your system.

It's music. Music isn't exclusively an art form. Music started out as folk music. Which is really what rock and roll is to us today. Many great classical composers had appreciation for this and did incorporate that into their music.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2009, 02:53 PM   #36
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
This professor played trumpet which explains the Jazz obsession. Yes I do agree that in a classical learning atmosphere you will be taught the fuction, creation, and basic rules of writing and reading classical music. In the reality staying in that narrow minded world would limit the learning oppurtunities of what you can do to move classical music into modern times. The Beatle's music was not just about acid and hidden messages. They intigrated classical souds with Rock n Roll and did so very succesfully. There are many musical scores of the Beatle's that in my mind blow Mozart away.

That last sentence is massively contentious to me, but it's good that someone thinks it, and I'm not sufficiently versed in classical criticism to negate it. The only question I'd ask is which Mozart?

I think the thing for me is that most musical worlds are narrow-minded, it's not exclusively classical musicians and composers who are myopic. One of the problems with a lot of rock music now is that it's a sufficiently expansive genre for people to not need to venture outside of it. I'd argue that rock, unlike jazz, doesn't become stolid when it's entirely self-referential (the Cramps vs Courtney Pine).

I mean, I think the basic division I'd make is that the classical era is definitely a limited corpus, and a lot of 'classical music' fans are obviously narrow-minded (this is true of fans of most things, in general) but I personally (and naively) believe in a sense of 'art music' which includes Bingen, Tallis, Bach, Mozart, Mahler, Schoenberg, Messiaen, Cage, Feldman all the way through to, say, Sugimoto, Haco or at least Radelescu, Grisey, Parmegiani and Lachenmann.

Quote:
Old 07.16.2009, 02:56 PM   #37
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
ALL music is music.

however, there are only two kinds of music in the world:

good and bad.
Old 07.16.2009, 02:57 PM   #38
Glice
invito al cielo

That was a post so shiningly insipid it can only have been sarcastic.

Quote:
Old 07.16.2009, 03:00 PM   #39
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
you know me so well.
Old 07.16.2009, 03:18 PM   #40
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
I think the whole argument can be resolved by the fact that if there is such thing as "Real music", then there is "False music". Then define it.
You should have answered your teacher "define false music"
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth