Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The band you've tried hardest to like but never got there?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.26.2008, 08:05 AM   #101
sarramkrop

Their loss, our gain.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 08:09 AM   #102
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think a better alternate title for this thread would be, "What band did you mildly enjoy at first but then grew to love after many many listens?" That would make more sense than "HEY, WHAT BAND DID YOU FORCE UPON YOURSELF SO YOU COULD BE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AND PROCLAIM YOUR LOVE FOR THEM BECAUSE YOU FELT LIKE YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO AND THEN YOU ENDED UP HATIN THAT SHIT BAND ANYWAY."

Of course I'm kidding.

But only a little bit.

And demonrail, you're a good dude.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 08:11 AM   #103
sarramkrop

And Possibly You Ended Up In A Mental Hospital For Exposing Your Delicate Ears To The Sound Of Katrina On Record. And Deaf For Nothing Too.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 08:14 AM   #104
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
See, I want to hear some legitimately challenging music.

Music that literally challenges me. Hopefully to an arm wrestling contest because I'm pretty good in those.

Old 07.26.2008, 08:16 AM   #105
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
you know, nation of ulysses were a harsh listen at first. grew to love them, and the make up plus weird war. the fall also. in the hip-hop section; company flow (which i mean more el-p) where a bit much at first, but then i started liking him too, his parter big juss was easier to digest at first.
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 08:18 AM   #106
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

MadCapLaughs, no offense, answer the thread however you'd like.

But he's asking for bands you hated no matter how much you listened.

Old 07.26.2008, 08:19 AM   #107
sarramkrop

I challenge the music more than it challenges me. There is literally nothing that a record can do to challenge me personally. That's not the point of why I love listening to music in the first place, anyway. And it's not like I have easy listening on all the time either.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 08:22 AM   #108
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Porkmarras, we haven't had any epic page-long arguments lately. So, I challenge you.

Old 07.26.2008, 08:25 AM   #109
sarramkrop

Go on, then. I'm challenging you to challenge me. Let's see who comes out victorious after our internet duel. Prepare yourself for the worst, and don't leave your records scattered on the floor, or it'll just make me think that they're not worth it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 08:27 AM   #110
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
MadCapLaughs, no offense, answer the thread however you'd like.

But he's asking for bands you hated no matter how much you listened.

ah. i'm a bit hung over. i think i saw the thread and read the last couple posts, one being the one you put up about the alternate titles for the thread. which meant there was probably some battle over a term or definition or how you shouldn't conform or something. but you put something like this thread should be called "bands you mildly enjoyed at first but then grew to like after man ylistens" i think thats what you wrote, i'll check again. as far bands i hated no matter how many times i listened to them, there are so many there is no point in even naming them.
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 08:27 AM   #111
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

eh i give up pork

even if i hadn't, my post score is lucky as fuck, I would've won.

Old 07.26.2008, 02:33 PM   #112
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Again, what I was trying to say....

I just think a lot of people feel like they're "supposed" to like something or don't understand why they don't feel the same way about certain bands as other people. I've seen similiar replies on this thread, "I wish I could like them like everyone else does" kinda thing. It's okay to hate shit that everyone else likes! I do it all the time!
I completely agree.

I've been on many music oriented forums in my 7 years of going on the internet for hours a day, and while some of them including this one have members who know what they like and don't bother with what they don't like, I've stumbled upon forums where some members just suck up to more veteran posters and just seem to follow their music taste even if they don't like it. Yet if I post that I don't like the band I get shit from other members.

Possibly why I like this board more than most of the other ones I've posted on in the past, people are very open here and I like that nature in the internet and real life. I seriously hate stupid elitist internet users who think everyone should listen to the exact same bands as them and bully people into thinking that their music taste is "right". Luckily there is not much of that here and people here are generally very chill about things.

But yeah, I digress, people should learn to just like what they like and other people should accept that other people don't like their favourite bands or whatever. I learned that greatly when I actually started hanging out with people I'm friends with. This goes for movies as well I guess, a lot of people in my life seem to think that I don't like movies because everyone else likes them, when in actual truth I just don't like most modern mainstream cinema.

Whatever, I think I've completely missed the point of what I'm trying to say.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 03:16 PM   #113
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
I don't really try to like anything I don't like. If anything I don't give some music enough of a chance.

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 03:17 PM   #114
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
In that case you ought to learn what the difference between having a modicum of patience for a band that you feel might come up with the goods and feeling challenged by their records is.
Perhaps.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 03:22 PM   #115
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Oh c'mon, shut it mate. This is generally the sort of stuff that you hear people say when they are more enamoured with the idea of listening to 'challenging' music rather than appreciating what's entering their ears for how it sounds.

If you spend time challenging yourself to stuff that you already know that you might get but you won't like, I think that you should really sit down and reconsider where your priorities stand when it comes to music.You can argue all you like about this.
Right, your reply to the other fellow and another day was more than enough for me to reconsider my argument. I was arguing a defense for reasonable patience with music and I took your position as extreme exclusivity. We were arguing the same thing but against polar extremes, I think.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 03:29 PM   #116
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I don't judge a band soley off of one song, but if I hear a few of them and don't like them I won't listen to that band. It isn't so much about forcing yourself to like something because you think you should, or dropping a band or any of that bullshit. To me it's just about your current state of mind when you hear a band.

The first time I heard the Black Lips, I didnt like it (this was a few years ago). I didnt listen to them again.

About a year ago I was at a party and heard them, then saw one of their live shows, and it was the 'right' time for me to hear that music, you know? Cuz taste often changes, and circumstances and moods when you hear a band has a big part to play.

They are now one of my favorite bands.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 03:32 PM   #117
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Also in my opinion,music is about self-discovery, self-expression, and a just getting away. If it moves you, it's for you, if it doesnt, it's not.

I don't get the whole challenging thing, if you wan't a challenge go start a duel, andrew jackson style!

(which could happen sooner or later looking at how this thread is going)
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 06:50 AM   #118
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
I don't judge a band soley off of one song, but if I hear a few of them and don't like them I won't listen to that band. It isn't so much about forcing yourself to like something because you think you should, or dropping a band or any of that bullshit. To me it's just about your current state of mind when you hear a band.

The first time I heard the Black Lips, I didnt like it (this was a few years ago). I didnt listen to them again.

About a year ago I was at a party and heard them, then saw one of their live shows, and it was the 'right' time for me to hear that music, you know? Cuz taste often changes, and circumstances and moods when you hear a band has a big part to play.

They are now one of my favorite bands.

This guy talks sense.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 01:49 PM   #119
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
i like muisccccccccccc
Old 07.27.2008, 02:12 PM   #120
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I never really tried to like any bands. I tried not to hate Dinosaur Jr.
HaydenAsche is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth