Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.10.2018, 05:40 AM   #9441
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Worth considering in England:

FW: Raheem Sterling (9m) is a decent alternative to Kane. Pretty much nailed on and a lot cheaper.

MF: Dele Alli (9m). Has had a bit of a meh season by his standards but is still key to this England set up, so should be fairly safe from rotation. And always a goal/assist threat.

DF:Kyle Walker (6m). Again, he seems pretty nailed on and, besides getting any clean sheet bonuses, is also an attacking threat, so could pick up an assist at some point, and potentially even a goal. Also John Stones (5.5m). Seems equally safe from rotation and does offer an attack threat although maybe not as much as Walker.

GK: Jordan Pickford (5.5m). Looks like he's 1st choice.

There's few real bargains in that team, with anyone remotely cheap either a big rotation risk or offering small points returns even if they play.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2018, 06:03 AM   #9442
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Like Demo I've think we've become wary of every saying "we have an easy group". The last world cup where we came last, and the last euros where we scraped by onl to be beaten by Iceland. Honestly, I'd be glad if we got out the group stage and I think it's safe to say the fervour England fans got into over the decades isn't there now.

The squad
I's a difficult one to talk about cos Southgate actually has a task on his hands in who to choose. The last two friendlies, whilst significantly different teams, were both very good showings (especially the first halves). For me there are only three nailed on should-be-in-the-team players. Pickford (GK), Henderson (MID), Kane (FWD). After that it's seemingly anyone's guess who'll be playing.

In defence there's the elder player of Cahill who looks like he'd be able to keep Stones or Jones in control. With those two there's always a worry a mistake is at hand. Especially Jones. (fun fact-he went to my school). Southgate seems to be keen on a back 3 with two wing backs for support and there's a lot of other players vying for a place. Delph, Young, Alexander-Arnold, and Trippier could all easily start. Again, who he chooses is a mystery, and again, they all had very good showings in the friendlies to stake a claim.

Midfield
This is another tough one. I've got a feeling Alli to start every game and he's certainly got the goals in him, so I don't think anyone will be nervous about him. Henderson as I said should be a nailed on. Sure he plays for the scum, but there's no denying when he's on it he's irreplaceable. He along with Mane were the only players to come out of the Champions League final knowing they did everything they could.
I've chosen Jesse Lingard in my fantasy team. That'll probably be a mistake but there's no doubting he can come at the defence and ruffle a few feathers. Loftus-Cheek and Dier are both vying for the place of defensive midfielder and personally I prefer Dier. Alhough if you asked 10 different people you'd get even split answers I think.

Forwards
It's all about Kane, innit? He's got the pressure on his shoulders but he isn't doing it alone. I'd love to see Rashford start along with him. The shackles of Mourinho's playing style unleashed him and he played well in the last friendly. A tendency to run himself into walls, but he's still young. That'll come in time. Could be a surprise name in the world cup. Hope he is anyway cos I liek the guy a lot.
Sterling. Sterling, Sterling, Sterling... Scoring 20 goals last season Guardiola did what he does so well and get him playing another level. The guy has had an AMAZING league campaign and shushed the doubters. Except when it comes to his international performances...there's no doubting he can do it, but after Rashford's performance his place was put in balance I think.
Welbeck will the key sub to get a goal when we're desperate I think. Like a super-sub thing.

My starting 11

Pickford
Walker Stones Cahill
Trippier Young
Alli Henderson Dier
Rashford Kane Sterling

This is based on my extremely limited knowledge of football and just who I fancy. Obvs.

Demo can add more I suspect.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2018, 07:56 AM   #9443
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Henderson isn't nailed on. He'll be competing with Dier for that position and Southgate reckons both will get game time. Neither are worth the risk IMO.

Rashford should get some minutes, and if Sterling starts poorly he could be worth a punt, but to begin with, anyway, I think it's Sterling's place to lose with Rashford more likely to be used as an impact sub.
Old 06.10.2018, 08:41 AM   #9444
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i wrote a bunch of stuff and got vaporized while i was checking some facts.

anyway i watch bundesliga but have not been able to catch germany’s friendlies.

however i think werner is money in the bank this tournament. he’s the best out and out attacker germany has AND germany is in an “easy” group. looks highly priced vs. other players but not vs. other forwards.

reus is the other good deal i spot there, cheaper than gomez (!) and mueller, but he’s prone to injury and could be easily knocked out. listed on the game as a forward though he's an attacking midfielder.

on defense i think kimmich has already been spotted by “the market”. hummels has been so-so and boateng coming back from injury... boateng is fantastic when in good form though.

keepers another question mark. neuer just returned from a broken foot and ter stegen would be the safer choice but dont know who loew will pick here.

i was getting some notes on south americans but will have to leave for separate post because if i switch tabs again this will disappear.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2018, 10:03 AM   #9445
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Henderson isn't nailed on. He'll be competing with Dier for that position and Southgate reckons both will get game time. Neither are worth the risk IMO.

Rashford should get some minutes, and if Sterling starts poorly he could be worth a punt, but to begin with, anyway, I think it's Sterling's place to lose with Rashford more likely to be used as an impact sub.

Yeah, Henderson who I think should be nailed on. Gonna be interesting eitherway

Old 06.10.2018, 10:04 AM   #9446
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

I had been looking at Timo a fair bit but ended up with Griezzman and Suarez. Sure I'll change my mind and air bit before Thursday!

Old 06.10.2018, 11:19 AM   #9447
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
yeah suarez good idea there. if you're looking for another south american to score maybe peru's guerrero would be the one. he's a star in brazilian football and other than france peru's group looks manageable. the other is flores who is an attacking midfielder but listed her as a forward. i've picked flores.

this is kinda who i see making it from each group. maybe a little american-friendly sure why not (the continent not the country)

A = russia + uruguay
B = portugal + spain
C = france + peru
D = argentina + ?
E = brazil + costa rica
F = germany + mexico
G = belgium + england
H = colombia + ?

per that scheme, ospina looks like a keeper w/ good chances actually
except when he faces lewandowski... just checked japan's squad and dont think honda + kagawa will cause miracles, don't know about senegal though.

-

on another game artifact (or purposeful categorization?), mascherano listed as defender not midfielder.
Old 06.10.2018, 12:10 PM   #9448
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Russia?!

If that team get a 2 points in all the group stages I'll be surprised.

Old 06.10.2018, 12:18 PM   #9449
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Russia?!

If that team get a 2 points in all the group stages I'll be surprised.
im counting on player #12 vladimir putin to get them through

not even joking

this is fifa

plus theyre in russia where anything from sound weapons to low-grade poison are... quite viable?

unfortunately
Old 06.10.2018, 02:41 PM   #9450
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

okay ive reentered the league as O_Mutante
Old 06.11.2018, 04:20 PM   #9451
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Finally got my team to where I want it. Here's the squad

De Gea (SPN)
Godin (UGY) Koulibaly (SEN) Arias (CLB)
B.Silva (POR) De Bruyne (BEL) Paulinho (BRA) Coutinho (BRA) Yotun (PER)
Suarez (UGY) Werner (GER)

That midfield...juicy

Old 06.11.2018, 04:21 PM   #9452
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Btw, who's Werrahesse?

Old 06.11.2018, 04:40 PM   #9453
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i've got

courtois (bel)
boateng (ger) stones (eng) marcelo (bra) varane (fra)
b silva (por) cuadrado (col) james (col)
flores (per) reus (ger) werner (ger)

on the bench are
carvallo (per) fazio (arg) honda (jap) casemiro (bra)

not sure this is final. afeared of reus + boateng injuries tbh
Old 06.12.2018, 12:34 AM   #9454
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I'll make changes before the deadline but here's where I'm at right now:

GK:SZCSEZNY (Pol) SCHMEICHEL (Den)

DF:GODIN (Ur) ALBA (Sp) MEUNIER (Be) MARCELO (Br) IDOWU (Ni)

MF:SAMEDEV (Ru) ISCO (Sp) MEULLER (Ge) NDIAYE (Se) C SANCHEZ (Co)

FW:CAVANI (Ur) JESUS (Br) MOSES (Ni)
Old 06.12.2018, 03:52 AM   #9455
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Actually kinda surprised how few players we have overlapping. I'm now umming and aahing about keeping Werner. Will it be too much pressure on his shoulders? Not cos I've chosen him I mean!

So Belgium beat Egypt 4-1 last night and everyone is bleating on saying they're gonna win the cup. Im praying to the footballing Gods the England batter em. "I would love it if we beat them, love it" *intense stare*

Old 06.13.2018, 03:47 AM   #9456
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

One more sleep!!

*Screams at the top of his lungs*

Old 06.13.2018, 05:59 AM   #9457
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Spain manager sacked! Drama!

Old 06.13.2018, 06:07 AM   #9458
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Spain manager sacked! Drama!
Major wtf moment. Lopetegui's going to Real, apparently. But must be more to it than that.
Old 06.13.2018, 06:12 AM   #9459
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Yeah, it's an odd one. Supposedly the players have all said they're fine with it and we're willing to let him carry on. Gotta love a bit of early world cup drama to get the excitement up a bit.

Oh...see USA, Mexico, and Canada have won the 2026 bid. Been a while since USA or Mexico have had it -_- Yes I'm still bitter about the fact England haven't had it since 66. Cunts.

Old 06.13.2018, 09:05 AM   #9460
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
I don't get the sacking.
Bad timing.
That said, Spain's above most of the other teams.
So, if they win, who'll say the cup is theirs? The most inflated ego of the group? The Spanish federation?
Will I have to get Isco the fantasy boot?
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
423463470471472 473 474475476483523573 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth