Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Apocalypse (new Bill Calahan album!)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.01.2011, 12:48 PM   #1
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses

Super exited. If this is even half way as good as 'Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle' it'll be the best thing that comes out this year.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 01:03 PM   #2
washer
bad moon rising

washer cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard sucka
Great news. "Sometimes..." was really good, I enjoyed it more than some of the Smog output I already knew.
washer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 01:12 PM   #3
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
cool. smog was one of my favorites back in high school.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2011, 04:35 AM   #4
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses

This album is stupidly great. I'm totally obsessed. He's on such a winning streak with 'Sometimes...' and now this. It definitely feels of a piece with the former record, in terms of being warm elder statesman Callahan, but it's harder, sparser, and noticeably more 'rock'. It really feels like his 'country' album, all twanging guitars and gypsy fiddles, you can taste the dust blowing the whole time. 'America!' is the song for you if you ever wondered what Callahan doing a shit-kicking guitar shredding America-fuck-yeah track would sound like. And it's BADASS. The highlight though might be 'Riding For The Feeling', which joins the pantheon of utterly beautiful Bill Callahan horse songs. Essential.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 04.08.2011, 06:44 AM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
its awesome

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2011, 07:24 AM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
need to get it. Billy Smog is a longtime favorite. SOMETIMES was astounding. I missed that live album though.
Old 04.08.2011, 07:32 AM   #7
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Then you need that too, it's badass. Apocalypse is whole different level though, especially for a fellow Sometimes lover. Don't sleep on it for a second man, seriously. The first half sounds a bit like Sometimes reconstituted as a balls to the wall dirty country rock record, the second is some of the most hushedly beautiful stuff he's recorded.
Old 04.08.2011, 09:27 AM   #8
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I won't sleep on shit. I love Billy Smog.
Old 04.08.2011, 11:25 AM   #9
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
i skipped out on the live LP since it was ridiculously priced for a single LP, but i thought Eagle was the 2nd best record of that year, and love the new one after just one listen. the man's a great talent.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2011, 06:21 PM   #10
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The live LP was a double, so it wasn't too pricey.
Old 04.08.2011, 06:31 PM   #11
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
such a moving album. i didn't expect any less
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2011, 01:19 PM   #12
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i still have never seen callahan live. i need to get around to that soon.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 03:33 AM   #13
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Me neither, but I desperately want to. He's playing Manchester on the 6th of May, so I think I'm going to have to go for it...
Old 04.10.2011, 09:10 PM   #14
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
The live LP was a double, so it wasn't too pricey.

huh. for some reason i thought it was a single. i guess that makes more sense now.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2011, 05:50 AM   #15
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
Really like this, Baby's Breath is a fantastic song.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2011, 10:48 AM   #16
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I Hate This Record! Fucking Hate It!!
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2011, 12:42 PM   #17
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Bill Callahan's "Apocalypse" is currently streaming on 3voor12:
http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luiste...rpaal.44622033
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2011, 01:03 PM   #18
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Smog were a worse band than psycho-tec...
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2011, 04:41 PM   #19
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I Hate This Record! Fucking Hate It!!

Why?
Old 04.13.2011, 09:24 AM   #20
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite Bill Callahan related output since A River Ain't Much To Love. I liked Sometimes, but this album to me is a return to form.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth