Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Underplayed records in your collection
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.14.2010, 10:28 AM   #1
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I was just having a total hallelujah moment with Fugazi's 'The Argument' record, which I've listened to like 5 or 6 times in what is probably 2 years of owning it. It occured to me that it belongs to a special class of records in my collection, which are those which I pretty much always really dig when I put them on, but for some reason rarely do. Anyone else have this? Records you own, where you are kind aware of their awesomeness, and yet have somehow never really put the time aside to get to know them as well as you should? I have a bunch of reading that needs doing, so posting this was my only option haha. A few others of mine, off the top of my head:

The Dead C - DR503 (except for 'Polio', which I've played the shit out of)
EL-P - Fantastic Damage
Sonic Youth - NYC Ghosts & Flowers
DNA on DNA
Most of my Ornette Coleman records
Captain Beefheart - Ice Cream For Crow

A bunch of others I'm sure...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 10:55 AM   #2
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
All my noise stuff that I bought over the years. I think I just got too old for it, but still like it in the long run.

Also all my dance and techno shit, only play it when I'm having parties or about to go out and party.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 11:00 AM   #3
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I've got this record called "Organ Orgy", just strange recordings of people covering classical tunes w/ organs....

It's actually quite good....just strange and not something I often think about putting on.
Old 10.14.2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Tchiakovsky's 6th. Fucking amazing, but I always assume it's another of his swoony romantic 'I'm a closet bumlord' ones rather than one of his 'LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME BLEED FOR YOUR AMUSEMENT! I HATE YOU ALL!' ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 11:07 AM   #5
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
All my noise stuff that I bought over the years. I think I just got too old for it, but still like it in the long run.

Yeah, actually, the majority of my noise/sound art/more extreme improv stuff falls into this category. For example, I've been pretty stunned by Homotopy To Mary every time I've listened to it, but that's been at a rate of like once a year...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 11:14 AM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
most of them...
Old 10.14.2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Here´s some:
Voivod: RRRÖÖÖAAARRR
Dead Kennedys: Bedtime for democracy
Free: Free
Gun Club: Pastoral Hide and Seek
The Stranglers: Black and White
Kinks: Kinda Kinks
the Jam: This is the Modern world
Uriah Heep: Look at yourself
Almost all my classic music records (Sibelius, Tschaikovsky, Beethoven, Brahms and Schubert)
But Mussorgsky´s Pictures At Exhibition I have listened a lot!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2010, 10:41 PM   #8
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Every time i get down to figure 8 by Elliott Smith i remember how its never depressed me as an album, i leave that down to his other stuff

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2010, 03:52 AM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
most of them...

No kidding. Having a quick look through my CDs, I'd say a good 70% I've listened to only once or maybe twice. A few I've not even listened to all the way through.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth