Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What About American Shoegaze
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.15.2008, 03:23 AM   #21
sarramkrop

I don't see the point of another 'shoegaze' band existing ever again, let alone an American one in this time and age.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2008, 04:37 AM   #22
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
talking "around now" or olde ? drop nineteens were olde but goodee
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2008, 04:57 AM   #23
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealglenstyler
talking "around now" or olde ? drop nineteens were olde but goodee

The are 3 good tracks on ''Delaware''. the rest is so-so. I like ''Wynona'' a lot.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2008, 05:05 AM   #24
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Well, all I was saying is that the whole "up until very recently" thing was what I perceived as highly inaccurate. I was trying to illustrate that it was more the reverse by using examples from the late 1970s and early 1980s, when the UK and Europe in general were kicking the USA's ass in the extreme sounds department. The only ones from the USA doing comparable work at that time were maybe Non and Monte Cazazza.

Borbetomagus
Glenn Branca
Tony Conrad
Doodooettes
Le Forte Four
Men/Eject
Neef
Lee Rockey
Smegma
La Monte Young
Zorn
Zurich 1916

etc....

Virtually every kinda music that has ever been associated with a specific place also existed at its early beginnings elsewhere on the globe, and perhaps even in many different places.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2008, 05:21 AM   #25
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
The are 3 good tracks on ''Delaware''. the rest is so-so. I like ''Wynona'' a lot.
absolutely, but i'm working on the "isn't anything" principle of shoegaze that states that one or two stone cold classics (wynona) in amongst an otherwise mediocre album work as a counterweight to the so-so stuff and can elevate the album as a whole to legendary status regardless of the overall consistancy of the record.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2008, 05:48 AM   #26
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
There were a lot of shoegaze/noisy pop bands on Trance Syndicate ( Furry Things , 16 deluxe ).
And Belly.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2008, 06:05 AM   #27
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
i dunno if these have been mentioned but medecine, swirlies, velocity girl (the copacetic album, the rest is shite), unrest, drop nineteens (delaware is a fantastic record), maserati (i think they are american).
Old 04.15.2008, 11:09 AM   #28
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
what about scarling?
wouldn't they fall into the 'gaze category?

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2008, 11:26 AM   #29
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealglenstyler
absolutely, but i'm working on the "isn't anything" principle of shoegaze that states that one or two stone cold classics (wynona) in amongst an otherwise mediocre album work as a counterweight to the so-so stuff and can elevate the album as a whole to legendary status regardless of the overall consistancy of the record.

''Isn'Anything'' is an infinitely superior album and has a higher number of good songs than ''Delaware''. Drop Nineteens were an ok band but by the time they made ''Panic On'' it was apparent that they weren't going to stay around for long. I love the sleeve of ''Delaware'' with that girl holding the gun.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2008, 11:40 AM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I give up.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2008, 11:58 AM   #31
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
ceremony
a place to bury strangers
airiel
asobi seksu
skywave (must)
autolux
drop ninetnees
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2008, 12:07 PM   #32
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymoan
what about scarling?
wouldn't they fall into the 'gaze category?

Are we thinking of the same scarling? The one with the chick from Jack Off Jill? I don't remember them being gaze at all. But I don't remember them well either.
dionysusundone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2008, 12:18 PM   #33
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
don't know if they are shoegazer or not, but they do share some sonic similarities:

GALAXIE 500
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2008, 12:21 PM   #34
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i forgot galaxie was american, good call

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2008, 11:42 AM   #35
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
fuck yeah. galaxie 500. amazing band.... how we all forgot them!
Old 04.16.2008, 03:38 PM   #36
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
Borbetomagus
Glenn Branca
Tony Conrad
Doodooettes
Le Forte Four
Men/Eject
Neef
Lee Rockey
Smegma
La Monte Young
Zorn
Zurich 1916

etc....

Virtually every kinda music that has ever been associated with a specific place also existed at its early beginnings elsewhere on the globe, and perhaps even in many different places.

smegma is such an underrated, underaoppreciated, and fucking amazing band! they formed in fuckin 73! they were light years ahead of their time, which was unfortunate for them. i admit it if i was alive back then i woulda found them too nutso as well, white light white head and fun house woulda been as extreme as i woulda gona. their record "pigs for lepers" sounds just as extreme as anything wolf eyes and yellows swans are doing today. theyre still making good music today too, which is needless to say, fuckin awesome.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth