Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page "Christmas" vs. "Xmas"...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.03.2010, 10:28 AM   #1
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
"Don't take Christ out of Christmas"??? Ever hear anyone say this? Ever wonder where the "X" in "Xmas" came from in the first place? Some seem to believe it's a means of crossing Christ out of Christmas...I'm not so convinced this is always the case....

(Don't feel like rewording something someone else has already clearly explained. If in doubt, research....thankfully with the internet, which I'm assuming you all have, attending a university is not necessary to do this...OK, bad joke.)

"Xmas is not of modern coinage. The Oxford English Dictionary documents the use of this abbreviation back to 1551. Undoubtedly it was employed before that. Now 1551 is fifty years before the first English colonists came to America and sixty years earlier than the completion of the King James Version of the Bible! Moreover, at the same time, Xian and Xianity were in frequent use as abbreviations of Christian and Christianity.

You see, the X in Xmas did not originate as our English alphabet's X but as the symbol X in the Greek alphabet, called Chi. The Greek Chi or X is the first letter in the Greek word Christos. As early as the first century the X was used as Christ's initial. Certainly through church history we can trace this usage. In many manuscripts of the New Testament, X abbreviates Christos (Xristos). In ancient Christian art X and XR (Chi Ro--the first two letters in Greek of Christos abbreviate his name. We find that this practice entered the Old English language as early as AD 100. Devout believers used X as an abbreviation for Christ. Were they trying to take Christ away and substitute an unknown quantity? The idea is preposterous.

Some may use Xmas today as an unchristian shortcut for Christmas, but the ancient abbreviation by no means originated as such. The scribes who copied New Testament manuscripts had no intention of taking Christ out of the New Testament. They used the abbreviation simply to save time and space. We use abbreviations for the same purpose today, as witness FDR, HST, JFK, LBJ, and a host of others. Xmas is a legitimate abbreviation. I do not use it because of the possible misunderstanding it often causes as a result of its misrepresentation or abuse. But by no means can the use of the abbreviation be a valid objection to the observance of Christmas itself! Is God against abbreviations?"

Of course, I enjoy and celebrate Christmas. And as I've made clear countless times, I do not believe in Jesus as my lord and personal savior. No need for me to celebrate his birthday. I enjoy Christmas, or "Xmas", as a means of fun and something to look forward to each year. Kids like it, my mom likes it, stores/homes typically smell better, and all the lights are really pretty.
Old 12.03.2010, 10:59 AM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses

floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2010, 11:05 AM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
X X X X T T T T I I I N N A A
Old 12.03.2010, 11:06 AM   #4
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Two guys are fighting outside and someone is making noodles.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2010, 11:11 AM   #5
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
wow sway! This post is great! Thanks for the history on this.

It has bothered me when ppl use xmas. I'm not one of those preachin "don't take the christ out of christmas" I just take christ very seriously and do not prefer to abbreviate his name in a holiday dedicated to him. I also do not like to use te term "oh my god" or gosh unless I am really in need of god.

I think it is great that you still enjoy the holiday even though you are not into that shit. That is why it exists. It does not exist so we can start buying shit in september with candy canes on it. It is not a holiday originally intened to have entire commercial industries built around. Christmas makes me sad sometimes because it has turned into a crock of shit. THree months of being barraged with advertisements to buy crap they don't need to show your loved ones how much you care about them.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2010, 11:11 AM   #6
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
Two guys are fighting outside and someone is making noodles.

Raman noodles?

Old 12.03.2010, 11:16 AM   #7
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
It started to smell like chicken broth or something now.

Old 12.03.2010, 11:17 AM   #8
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
X X X X T T T T I I I N N A A

I LOL'ed.

Old 12.03.2010, 11:19 AM   #9
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
this holiday season, my multidenominational household will be celebrating in various ways.

my wife will be dancing naked for Yule and I will most likely sacrifice a chicken (or perhaps, a Cornish game hen) in homage to my patron, Thee Great Elocution, Papa Legba Atibon.

I hope this helps.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2010, 11:20 AM   #10
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
wow sway! This post is great! Thanks for the history on this.

It has bothered me when ppl use xmas. I'm not one of those preachin "don't take the christ out of christmas" I just take christ very seriously and do not prefer to abbreviate his name in a holiday dedicated to him. I also do not like to use te term "oh my god" or gosh unless I am really in need of god.

I think it is great that you still enjoy the holiday even though you are not into that shit. That is why it exists. It does not exist so we can start buying shit in september with candy canes on it. It is not a holiday originally intened to have entire commercial industries built around. Christmas makes me sad sometimes because it has turned into a crock of shit. THree months of being barraged with advertisements to buy crap they don't need to show your loved ones how much you care about them.

Oh, all that stuff bothers me too. Too many people dread it because of the amount of money they feel morally obligated to spend, when they should really only feel morally obligated to (hopefully...) have the day off with their family + have fun. That aspect of it is sad, I agree.
Old 12.03.2010, 11:25 AM   #11
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
It started to smell like chicken broth or something now.

chicken noodle soup...sounds good

Old 12.03.2010, 11:25 AM   #12
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
this holiday season, my multidenominational household will be celebrating in various ways.

my wife will be dancing naked for Yule and I will most likely sacrifice a chicken (or perhaps, a Cornish game hen) in homage to my patron, Thee Great Elocution, Papa Legba Atibon.

I hope this helps.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to floatingslowly again.

Old 12.03.2010, 11:28 AM   #13
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I would ratrher just eliminate it entirely.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2010, 11:30 AM   #14
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

alot of ppl agree

Old 12.03.2010, 11:34 AM   #15
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
I LOL'ed.

BIONIC is awesome. There's a song about oral w/ Nicki Minaj and another jam called "Sex For Breakfast," on the flipside "You Lost Me" might just be Xtina's most vocally accomplished ballad to date.
Old 12.03.2010, 11:54 AM   #16
knox
invito al cielo

I don't take Christ very seriously. Don't know if he'd like that.

Old 12.03.2010, 12:04 PM   #17
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

oh knoxy

Old 12.03.2010, 02:37 PM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray

You see, the X in Xmas did not originate as our English alphabet's X but as the symbol X in the Greek alphabet, called Chi. The Greek Chi or X is the first letter in the Greek word Christos. As early as the first century the X was used as Christ's initial. Certainly through church history we can trace this usage. In many manuscripts of the New Testament, X abbreviates Christos (Xristos). In ancient Christian art X and XR (Chi Ro--the first two letters in Greek of Christos abbreviate his name. We find that this practice entered the Old English language as early as AD 100. Devout believers used X as an abbreviation for Christ. Were they trying to take Christ away and substitute an unknown quantity? The idea is preposterous.

Some may use Xmas today as an unchristian shortcut for Christmas, but the ancient abbreviation by no means originated as such. The scribes who copied New Testament manuscripts had no intention of taking Christ out of the New Testament. They used the abbreviation simply to save time and space. We use abbreviations for the same purpose today, as witness FDR, HST, JFK, LBJ, and a host of others. Xmas is a legitimate abbreviation. I do not use it because of the possible misunderstanding it often causes as a result of its misrepresentation or abuse. But by no means can the use of the abbreviation be a valid objection to the observance of Christmas itself! Is God against abbreviations?"
amen amen. welcome to biblical etymology, the only way to make sense of the Scriptures according to Saint Augustine

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2010, 02:46 PM   #19
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
the 'x' in 'xmas' is a substitute crucifix for christ...

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2010, 02:57 PM   #20
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
the 'x' in 'xmas' is a substitute crucifix for christ...

thanks -- the rest of us just went ahead and read that in THE FIRST POST instead of skipping down to yrs.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth