Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Just heard the new album clips and I...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.11.2009, 09:50 PM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry, didn't read steveok's post before posting mine, we both like the word "context".

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2009, 11:00 PM   #22
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
I read SteveOk's post and atsonicpark's post, but regardless:

The album sampler does not offer nearly enough context to judge the music on the album as a whole. Unless a song is pretty much the same all of the way through, hearing 5 to 10 seconds of it will hardly let you know what to expect. If I heard a few seconds of 'Wildflower Soul' from the first minute of the song I'd think it was a snoozer, all the while being obvlivious to the harsh-as-fuck opening and the five minutes or so of pure AWESOME that the mellow beginning opens up to, and I would have unfairly judged one of my favorite Sonic Youth tracks. Furthermore, If I heard a 5 second clip of each song off of 'Sister,' my favorite Sonic Youth album, I can guarantee that my opinion of it would vary greatly depending on where the clips were pulled from (the highlight of a song for me is not the highlight of a song for someone else), and that's assuming that one would even grab the highlight of each song and blow the album's load in such a manner. I assume they just grabbed a few seconds from each song that they thought captured something... not its best moment, but also not a moment that wouldn't convey anything in a few seconds. Ever listen to album samples on Amazon.com? Those clips are much longer and even then they barely give you a feel and can often be misleading. If I had a music editing program on my computer I'd put together such a sampler of some of Sonic Youth's most celebrated albums just to prove the point.

In any case, what the sampler did for me was kill the hype I had built up in my head. All of the weird and crazy expectations I had for the album that I had constructed from my own wildest hopes filtered through tiny bits of information I'd gathered from interviews... all of that was torn down. And that's a fucking good thing. Now I can listen to the album without any baggage going into it.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2009, 11:09 PM   #23
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Hooray for context and superfluous "e"s in my username! I think I might try making that Sister sampler you're talking about with FruityLoops or something.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2009, 11:19 PM   #24
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOK
Hooray for context and superfluous "e"s in my username! I think I might try making that Sister sampler you're talking about with FruityLoops or something.

I've never met a man who's turned down an extra 'e' before. But yeah, I'm all for you making that sampler, I would be highly interested.

Also, here are the Amazon samples for 'A Thousand Leaves':

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000006P0F/ref=s9_sdps_c2_s3_p15_t2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_ rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1CCN5YJXDRABD1RZQ0A8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p =470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

You wouldn't even know Sonic Youth were fans of disorted guitars based on these samples.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2009, 11:56 PM   #25
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I'm really beginning to rediscover Sonic Youth.

I bought all the albums and blah blah blah but that was years ago (which really makes me think of myself more in the context of time - something that 13 year old Alex, didn't do). I probably went a whole 6 months without even considering playing them on the pod or wherever. Recently I've been listening to Murray Street and Evol a lot, and I'm really loving them (the albums and Sonic Youth). So the sample has definitely excited me, and though the lyrics/vocals are not so appealing, the music sounds pretty cool, but as it has been said before, who can judge at this point. Lyrically, Sy has been going south over the past few years, but I've still managed to enjoy all of their output to some extent, and I can't imagine this being any different. I'm excited.
Old 03.12.2009, 01:29 AM   #26
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
From what I've heard so far, this sounds like it has the potential to be much better than Rather Ripped...which wasn't that bad of a release in the first place.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 05:50 AM   #27
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I heard this a few weeks ago, I'm assuming this is the same collage, not going to listen again.. 2-3 minutes long, right?

"lazy songwriting" "sounds like shit"

It's just a collage of tracks, with no real context of how the songs will flow or anything! How can anyone actually judge how the songwriting is from 10 seconds of a song? What I heard was some cool riffs here or there, some sassy Thurston lyrics, some noise. Sounds like the same ol', same ol'. There was a kind of shocking part near the end, if my memory serves me correctly. The collage is kinda silly but also kinda cool. I dunno.

My sentiments exactly.

I didn't really feel anything. I felt a little excitement, since it's Sonic Youth, but it just sounded predictable. I suppose I expected something special this time around, not just Rather Ripped, part 2; but perhaps the collage is deceiving, and maybe the album is spectacular, but if it is then I don't see the purpose of having that clip collage, if it's only going to put people off and plant seeds of disappointment.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 05:52 AM   #28
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Not to sound too negative: I did really like that "mission control to brain police" line/chorus. It must be good if it worked from only one teeny clip -- usually a chorus hook takes a few hearings to click.

And in fairness, I do think the album will be really, really good. In fact I would argue that Sonic Youth have never released a geniunely bad album (although some are far better than others, obv.).

Rather Ripped gets bashed quite a lot, but Pink Steam was one of the most gorgeous things the band have ever done. I just wish there had been more in that vein, rather than the likes of What a Waste.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2009, 12:26 PM   #29
l'voyeur
bad moon rising

l'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's assesl'voyeur kicks all y'all's asses
some Kim's special voice effects are interesting......but I need hear the whole thing...not that small bits.
l'voyeur is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2009, 12:43 PM   #30
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I haven't heard anything to like let alone fall in love with on this one.

You've heard 2 and half minutes of jumbled sounds. For christ's sake people!

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2009, 09:36 PM   #31
baby bulldog
bad moon rising

baby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's asses
Really...how can you even harbour an opinion of the entire work by hearing 5 second frags of the songs?
baby bulldog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2009, 11:34 AM   #32
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
From what I've heard so far, this sounds like it has the potential to be much better than Rather Ripped...which wasn't that bad of a release in the first place.

sounds more exciting than Rather Ripped....though....once again....too early too tell.......
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2009, 02:19 PM   #33
flashlight69
bad moon rising

flashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's asses
itīs definitley one of the more weird albums they made. little bit like goo somehow (marry-christ style) the serious murraystreet-rather ripped art times are over lets go crazy and loud again.
flashlight69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2009, 02:50 PM   #34
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
I hear there a thousand leaves mixed with dirty, and sister.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2009, 02:57 PM   #35
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
I'll be totally honest and state that - just like ALL SPOILERS of all kinds - this crappy collage ruined a lot of the fun for me. I listened to it couple weeks ago.

I think it was pointless to put out such a thing in the first place, while putting out a song would have been much better. Somebody at matador prolly thought they had a stroke of genius, but this shit was just obnoxious.

If any of you didn't listen to it yet - please don't do it.
Luckily enough I'am already starting to forget about it all.

Can't wait to hear the songs the way they're supposed to osund like.
Old 03.17.2009, 04:04 AM   #36
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight69
itīs definitley one of the more weird albums they made.

I'm glad you can tell already.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2009, 07:11 AM   #37
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
yeah sure - it's a nod to Burroughs - but was it really needed?
Old 03.17.2009, 08:34 AM   #38
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
yeah sure - it's a nod to Burroughs - but was it really needed?
of course it is
how would we try to guess pitchfork's mark otherwise? because ultimately, that's all that count, we don't give a fuck about the album, obviously

i predict a 7.1
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2009, 11:03 AM   #39
Sucklechimp
little trouble girl

Sucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to it and I think it sounds cool. This is coming from someone who thought Rather Ripped was one of their worst (still a good record though). Kim's voice sounds nice, clear and powerful on this record and it sounds like Thurston and Kim sing together. Also it sounds like Lee has more than one song?
Sucklechimp is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2009, 01:13 PM   #40
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
it does sound like a WM....hehe

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth