Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Anyone Here Do or Try Meditation?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.12.2006, 01:32 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Recently Ive been interested in it and am thinking about trying it out.I want to have that sense of tranquility and relaxation.

So for the people that have...is it worth the putting in the time for? Can anyone recommend some sites/books that could help out someone new to this idea.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 01:44 PM   #2
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not some fucking hippie.
Old 11.12.2006, 01:53 PM   #3
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=meditation+monk

While in deep meditation, a Tibetan Monk hooked up to an EEG did not flinch (his brainwaves remained unaltered) as a shotgun blast was fired right past his head. So, if anyone has any doubts, then they should be vanquished.

how-to links:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...nce+meditation
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ent+meditation

Thomas Merton was an infamous beatnik that became a Catholic monk that became a famous spiritual author and advocate of ecumenism. He can prove useful since he is a western teacher. D.T. Suzuki and Alan Watts are probably the two other (more) famous pop-philosophers on meditation and Zen & Mahayana Buddhism. Although, the new-ager kooks out there today make these guys seem extremely important. Watts' Way of Zen book actually puts Zen into a historical context that exposes some of its basic fallacies. Personally, I enjoy J. Krishnamurti's teachings.

The symbolic writings in the ancient Tao Te Ching can be useful for understanding the process of how to not try but still clear the mind along with the rhythm of breathing.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 01:55 PM   #4
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I'm not some fucking hippie.

but you are as annoying.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 01:56 PM   #5
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
Recently Ive been interested in it and am thinking about trying it out.I want to have that sense of tranquility and relaxation.

So for the people that have...is it worth the putting in the time for? Can anyone recommend some sites/books that could help out someone new to this idea.

I would seriously advise that attempting to learn from a book or website will either be fruitless or very time-consuming; I reckon just about anyone who has practised meditation would say it's best to learn in the atmosphere of a group with a guide.

My advice would be to join a local group to learn the basics (even for a few lessons), and then go it on your own if you still wish.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 01:57 PM   #6
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i have tried it but it did nothing for me.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 11.12.2006, 02:03 PM   #7
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
The important thing is to have faith that you already know how, because you do.

The breathing techniques act as a mantra without a mantra in mind. Using breathing and a mantra together at first seem to be the quickest way to understanding that there are other states of consciousness that can be reached through meditation.

Eventually you want to condition yourself through the breathing to be able to meditate without trying to meditate and just do it naturally as you breathe normally.

The classic breathing method is to internalize everything into your breath like you are letting the whole world in and then as soon as your long, slow inhalation fills you lungs, you give a deep, slow exhalation of the same duration to let everything out and repeat as you clear your mind of conscious thought. It sounds like it should be easy, but unfortunately, our minds are much more corrupted than the conditioning of your brain will even readily allow you to think.

If I were not a smoker, then I know I could go much deeper, but I seem to have a bit of a knack for having silence space in-between thoughts. It's probably due to a trauma I experienced at age seven.
Old 11.12.2006, 02:25 PM   #8
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Reading, although there are words, is a fairly solitary meditative activity, so reading can help quiet one's mind if you immerse yourself. Playing a musical instrument is great for this too. Making visual art is extremely meditative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I would seriously advise that attempting to learn from a book or website will either be fruitless or very time-consuming; I reckon just about anyone who has practised meditation would say it's best to learn in the atmosphere of a group with a guide.

My advice would be to join a local group to learn the basics (even for a few lessons), and then go it on your own if you still wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
The breathing techniques act as a mantra without a mantra in mind. Using breathing and a mantra together at first seem to be the quickest way to understanding that there are other states of consciousness that can be reached through meditation.

For the same reason, going with a group session can bring some immediate results (EDIT: on second thought...I think those people were full of shit just acting for everyone else) that give one the impetus to continue, but I eschew groups of this nature. If one can truly find a real guru, instructor, master or yogi or whatever, then good for them. I steer clear of those people.
We have a semi-communal settlement within Charlottesville that is called "Yogaville."
Meditation is about going back to true balance which, if uncovered, does make you an individual (& one just may be a freak), but it's not about living like a freak.
You can't deny the world away just like one cannot deny death away out of existence. It's true that one can alter one's environment through the will, It's just that I think that the people out in "Yogaville" are a lot more like the rest of the world than they now allow themselves to think.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
Old 11.12.2006, 03:02 PM   #9
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i thought it said medication. damn.
Old 11.12.2006, 03:53 PM   #10
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i thought it said medication. damn.

Oh shit now that you say it I also thought that's what it said.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 06:16 PM   #11
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
just read that whole thread thinking it said "medication".
that was fucked up.
Old 11.12.2006, 06:24 PM   #12
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
haha! I thought it said "medication" too!
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2006, 07:16 AM   #13
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I've tried it a couple of times while attending yoga classes some 5 years ago. Most of the time, it did shit, but once, I don't even know why, it worked and it felt really incredible! I don't know, all of a sudden, I was just locked up in my own private universe and my skull felt like it was the size of a galaxy. Hard to explain and pretty shitty description as I read it, but yes, now I can honestly say, that you can do pretty crazy fucked up things with your head without smoking anything.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2006, 08:52 AM   #14
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I tried yoga once, but I couldn't shut out the outside world, so I didn't get the full benefit of it. I had the same problem when I was hypnotised.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2006, 08:53 AM   #15
jon boy
invito al cielo

just go for a pedicure. works everytime.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 11.14.2006, 11:14 AM   #16
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
just go for a pedicure. works everytime.

Tell me about it! *aroused*
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2006, 11:25 AM   #17
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a Zen Buddhist. Even went through lay ordination (go ahead and snicker) a few years back. It's kind of like baptism for Buddhists.

For a long time in the 90s, I "sat" regularly, both on my own and in the "zendo" during regular morning services and the longer "seshins". It takes a certain diligence, though, and while I still try to keep the Zen precepts in mind as a guide to living my life, I haven't sat in meditation for a couple of years. I've noticed a difference, too. I'm much less calm than I was when I meditated.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth