Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page vinyl sales continue to increase
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.19.2011, 04:55 PM   #21
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I wish I was here to witness that.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2011, 05:27 PM   #22
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
let's take a little break from the topic of this thread to look at this picture of lil' wayne wearing a psychic tv cap.
http://mishkanyc.verbsite.net/blogli...011/03/155.jpg
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2011, 06:14 PM   #23
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
^^^ Im about to destroy my G-PO devotional candle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Someone who takes the internet too seriously NEG REPPED me for this. Can you imagine?
red is the color of my heart, you fucking sissyboy.

and for the record, I neg rep all of your posts. some just manage to get through.

2 srs lol
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2011, 06:44 PM   #24
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
people like collecting shit and vinyl's very suitable for that purpose: sounds good, looks good and looks spectacular in large quantities on the shelf and thus is great for showing off.

Cd isn't very sensible format when the same stuff is available online and sounds the same. Kinda kills the rarity factor too.
As cd sales continue to decrease, who knows, maybe in ten or twenty years you can't find a cd/dvd player because all information is purchased as downloads.

I'm fairly sure that there will be turntables for the fact that there will be several decades worth of archived stuff on vinyl.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2011, 07:05 PM   #25
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I like owning music and vinyl seems like a better investment and is more funner to listen to than a plain old CD. The end.

this. I just started buying lsat year when my bro asked me if I wanted his record player. and yeah. much cooler than cds. I try to stick to albums I REALLY like or if it's a good deal. Buying new vinyl is expensive....so I wait a little bit sometimes....
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2011, 10:53 PM   #26
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
I'm completely sure this isn't a trend.......
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 02:30 AM   #27
easyrazors
little trouble girl

easyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think it has to be an either/or thing. MP3s are convenient, but I like having vinyl as well. Perhaps the days of small being better are over... pretty much everything before 1990 or so was designed to be played on vinyl, so if you want to hear things as they were heard at the time, vinyl is the way to go. Current recordings on vinyl do have collector/elitist appeal, and there is something nice about the look and feel of the complete package. Personally, I love 7 inch records... since 1955 and Elvis, every band has wanted to make a record - I've never heard anyone say "yeah, we want to make an MP3", hehe. The whole package helps people to think about music as something more than disposable and transient, and I don't think that's a bad thing. I also look forward to buying my letterpress bible once the publishing market has temporarily collapsed due to digital alternatives. I might even make a documentary about it on Super-8 cine film.
This thread reminded me of the sleeve notes for one of the Big Black albums, can't remember which... "The future belongs to the analogue loyalists. Fuck digital".
easyrazors is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2011, 10:49 AM   #28
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Personally I'm more interested in how the album was recorded, not the format in how it was distributed....... Regardless of this though, at some point the music will be converted to digital to be pressed onto vinyl so you're never getting a perfect "analog" sound unless you're buying used records from the 70's...... that's why Electric Wizard albums sound so incredible, regardless of the format........ although recording onto 2" tape is somewhat of a novelty these days anyway to to the insane cost associated with it........
Old 04.23.2011, 05:44 PM   #29
Cooking With Satan
little trouble girl

Cooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's asses
Unfortunately there are labels like Sub Pop who take advantage of the vinyl boom with poor quality reissues.

Most people don't notice.

If you're wondering why Earth 2 doesn't sound so great it's because Sub Pop have dubbed it from the fucking CD.
Cooking With Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2011, 11:33 PM   #30
The Watcher
children of satan

You ever see those Back In Black metal reissues they do? Those look like fucking shit and I hear the sound is ass...... I'll stick with my CD version....... man seriously I was in a store looking at the Burzum ones and it looks like they used a jpg they downloaded from the internet for the fucking cover art.......
Old 09.08.2019, 08:35 AM   #31
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Vinyl Is Poised to Outsell CDs For the First Time Since 1986
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2019, 08:42 AM   #32
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I’m going to buy a fuckton of Melvins eps at their upcoming show. (I am buying them for someone else though...)
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2019, 09:20 AM   #33
BeJimmiereeme
empty page

BeJimmiereeme has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Thats better A little more informative.

US album sales only.

To be honest I could have guessed :- In fact I did But when someone does an article I like to be fully informed. Its bad enough guessing the lineage of vinyl as it is

Itll be US all day long too, nothing exists outside of the US didnt you know :-
BeJimmiereeme is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2019, 09:29 AM   #34
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
and now waiting for the spam insertion edit in 4, 3, 2...

ban!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth