Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Lee And Thurston Signature Guitars
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.12.2009, 12:56 PM   #21
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Probably
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2009, 01:00 PM   #22
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Why the fuck did I have to buy the Mascis Jazz last year?

cuz you made a silly decision, why do you have to buy any of these cheesy, mass-produced, over-priced for the low end model, signature guitars? Signature shit is for skate shoes and writing checks..

by the way, these were the best shoes I ever owned, and I sure wish i could find a pair but i'd need the way back machine..
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
This makes me sad. Because I know they're going to be so much money and I'll never have one. And ironically, the "signature" of the Lee and T's guitars from the getgo, was to buy the cheapest guitars that no-one else even wanted.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to noisereductions again.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2009, 01:28 PM   #23
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Well, the Les Paul is a signature guitar if you think about it. I'm perfectly OK with it.
Old 06.12.2009, 01:59 PM   #24
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Well, the Les Paul is a signature guitar if you think about it. I'm perfectly OK with it.

no, not in this context. the post-80s signature guitars are all just a way for guitar companies to sell image on top of their cheaper guitars for a huge mark up. If you get one of these things at a good discount, that is fine, but in truth, they tend to be low-end models in comparison to say, a regular american produced jazzmaster. I can't speak on this particular models, but in regards to things like the Mascis one, and a few other sig guitars from companies like Fender and Gibson, I have to say they are rarely worth it, and are even at times shitty guitars. But guitars are like personalities, everyone likes things different.

this was not a diss to you personally by the way, as much as a diss on signature guitars

Old 06.12.2009, 02:28 PM   #25
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Judging by the components I doubt these are low-end models, but hey, I'm not a gear expert at all, so I'd better shut the fuck up, in all honesty.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2009, 02:31 PM   #26
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

yeah, seems like they're using the 'spensive pickups that Thurston and Lee like.

But still, it's Fender, so I'd have to agree that the markup is ridiculous.

I've never spend over 200 bucks on a guitar, and I love all my guitars.

Though I'm pretty sure some of them I could sell for 500-600 bucks easy.
Old 06.12.2009, 02:40 PM   #27
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
This makes me sad. Because I know they're going to be so much money and I'll never have one. And ironically, the "signature" of the Lee and T's guitars from the getgo, was to buy the cheapest guitars that no-one else even wanted.

^Agreed. I wonder how much they will be?!

Very cool though. Im happy for T & Lee, they look super cute holding their sig-jazz's. Thanks Moshe.

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2009, 02:50 PM   #28
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah, seems like they're using the 'spensive pickups that Thurston and Lee like.

But still, it's Fender, so I'd have to agree that the markup is ridiculous.

I've never spend over 200 bucks on a guitar, and I love all my guitars.

Though I'm pretty sure some of them I could sell for 500-600 bucks easy.

no, they don't use 'expensive' hardware and pickups unless you are buying from custom shop and spending well over $1500

Your best bet is to do what Sonic youth has always done, by a thrashed jazzmaster, or even a squire jazzmaster, and re-wire it yourself, and buy the upgraded pickups on your own. You will save hundreds of dollars, and have a lot more fun in the process

not to hate on sonic youth, but I do not generally enjoy signature guitars unless they are true originals. Just re-packaging a jazzmaster is not exactly a signature guitar.. lets see a new design, something original.

Old 06.12.2009, 03:43 PM   #29
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
That is amazing. I'd love to get one of those.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2009, 03:46 PM   #30
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
no, they don't use 'expensive' hardware and pickups unless you are buying from custom shop and spending well over $1500

Your best bet is to do what Sonic youth has always done, by a thrashed jazzmaster, or even a squire jazzmaster, and re-wire it yourself, and buy the upgraded pickups on your own. You will save hundreds of dollars, and have a lot more fun in the process

not to hate on sonic youth, but I do not generally enjoy signature guitars unless they are true originals. Just re-packaging a jazzmaster is not exactly a signature guitar.. lets see a new design, something original.

Well by expensive, I mean, they use third party ones. From what I've heard, Lee's wide-range pickups are like the originals, where-as the new ones that they use on shit aren't as good.

But anyways, I don't care. I'm happy with my current guitars!In fact I could probably go down to 3 electrics from the 6 I have, as much as it pains me to say.
Old 06.12.2009, 04:04 PM   #31
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses

Old 06.12.2009, 04:05 PM   #32
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Regarding signature guitars, they're cool, and sometimes they're really unique and stand out (Lee's Jazzmaster is entirely different from every other Jazzmaster right now), but I'd feel like such a nerd gigging with one or something like that. Maybe that's just me though.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2009, 04:46 PM   #33
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by o'connor
yeah, that zine looks pretty cool. one of ya'll should buy one of those jazzmasters and post the zine up here.

last i'd heard (couple months ago) a version of the zine will be given away w/ filter mag + then the 'proper' one (which is so unbelievably cool) will be sold w/ the gtrs..

i'm hoping to incorporate parts of it into the gear guide, but we'll see...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2009, 04:53 PM   #34
flashlight69
bad moon rising

flashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's asses
hmm i have a Cort G Series.The Tremolo Sucks.
But beside this it´s a pretty nice guitar.it costs roundabout €190

did somebody else serisously play on a Cort G Series Guitar?

the fender jazzmaster looks pretty cool and the tremolo looks alot better.
i youst need a fender jazzmaster like thurston not the thurston-edition.
i don´t wanna spend much money...
flashlight69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2009, 06:09 PM   #35
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well by expensive, I mean, they use third party ones. From what I've heard, Lee's wide-range pickups are like the originals, where-as the new ones that they use on shit aren't as good.

But anyways, I don't care. I'm happy with my current guitars!In fact I could probably go down to 3 electrics from the 6 I have, as much as it pains me to say.

in Thurson's:

Enlarge Image

Seymour Duncan model 11014-01 Humbucker, Neck

Seymour made this Antiquity™ model to look and sound like a well-worn '50s humbucker as originally designed by Seth E. Lover. The pickups are built to traditional standards. Each has its own character and DC resistance, just like the originals. He wanted to give the player a pickup that looks like it's been played regularly for 40 years, so he aged the nickel silver cover and the poles. Included is a front-tapered mounting ring and the screws that go with it. The pickup is not wax potted, which retains the vintage sound and appearance. Crafted by hand in Seymour's "Antiquity" room, each pickup is signed on the magnet and bottom plate to guarantee you are getting an original Seymour W. Duncan Antiquity™.
$117.95

and in Lee's

"Fender revoiced and improved wide-range humbuckers" (i.e., from the early 1970s reissues)

Both label it as stream-lined electronics but that doesn't necessarily imply 'expensive' pots, switches, wiring, jacks and capacitors , which could all just be mid-grade fender parts. as I said, you generally have to buy the upgrades yourself to get nice wiring, that's what I do with my guitars.

If these things cost under a $1000 you can bet that fender skimped on the wiring which is the veins and arteries of guitars, though if they are in the range of the Mascis pricing, then the Thurston guitar is actually not a bad deal with those Antiquities, they can be pricey for a pair..

Old 06.12.2009, 06:17 PM   #36
acdc518
bad moon rising

acdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's asses
according to a guy on harmony central, the msrp is $1,880.
acdc518 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 09:16 AM   #37
Clegg
empty page

Clegg has much to be proud ofClegg has much to be proud ofClegg has much to be proud ofClegg has much to be proud ofClegg has much to be proud ofClegg has much to be proud ofClegg has much to be proud ofClegg has much to be proud of
Quote:
That they give you a bunch of stickers to put on them is pretty lame.

totally.

I ask myself though, "had I been in Thurston's shoes when he was starting off, would he purchase his idol's "signature series" guitar (theoretically speaking)... I doubt he would have.

Still, can't blame them for putting it out there
Old 06.13.2009, 11:25 AM   #38
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
About the stickers, I'm pretty sure the purpose is just to promote artists they like, and probably they don't give a flying fuck wether or not people will think "yeah, stickers, let's make GTRZ PUNKY LOOKIN'"!!.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 11:36 AM   #39
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
some stuck up 14-year old boy with rich parents is going to get this guitar because he loved teenage riot from rockband. and he's going to put the stickers on it and make it look 'punky' and then not learn how to play the damn thing and unfortunately rot away in a basement with broken strings occasionally being played by drunk assholes who want to impress fat anime chicks by playing the first three chords to a green day song
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 11:49 AM   #40
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
some stuck up 14-year old boy with rich parents is going to get this guitar because he loved teenage riot from rockband. and he's going to put the stickers on it and make it look 'punky' and then not learn how to play the damn thing and unfortunately rot away in a basement with broken strings occasionally being played by drunk assholes who want to impress fat anime chicks by playing the first three chords to a green day song
this makes me frowny.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth