Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page reassessing a thousand leaves
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.30.2007, 06:27 PM   #21
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
it's probably my least favorite sonic youth album, i do enjoy it but i think the songs wander off in too many un-listenable directions.

Thank god somebody speaks sense!! To sum up the album; Sunday is one of their greatest songs ever; Hits of Sunshine is one of their worst, patience testing. The album goes off on these annoying things and rather than sounding cool it just sounds...urgh-to put it simply. This album and NYCG&F are my two worst Sonic Youth albums without a shadow of a doubt.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2007, 09:15 PM   #22
el duderino
bad moon rising

el duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's asses
Also one of my top SY albums, along with Washing Machine (what a great period!). More far out than WM and definitely has a more vivid mood. I always think of the seasons when I listen to this. Hoarfrost is very snowy and wintery, Hit of Sunshine sounds like spring etc Really atmospheric stuff.

Snare Girl is probably my favourite SY ballad and along with Karen Koltrane and Sunday make up the top 3 tracks on 1000 leaves for me. The instrumentation on Snare Girl is amazing IMO - T's/K's droning guitar, L's distant loungy licks in the middle and Steve minimilist drumming = an amazing mood is achieved!

Karen Koltrane is definitely one of the Lee greats and one of the darkest SY yet - its pure Winter until the end when the season changes into spring with the chirpy interlocking guitar thing - amazing!!

Sunday is a really tasteful straight up track which I usually play people who aren't into SY - its oozes cool!
el duderino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2007, 04:31 AM   #23
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
sunday is aye-mazing, there's a bunch of other great songs on ther, "its only a kitten" might be Kims finest lyric but over all this albums a snooze.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2007, 04:32 AM   #24
sarramkrop

[quote=el duderino]Also one of my top SY albums, along with Washing Machine (what a great period!).[quote]

What the duderino above me said.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2007, 07:09 AM   #25
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Lol, kimism.
Probably the most overrated 90's SY album. Still good though, I just think that it gets too much priase.
Old 08.31.2007, 08:26 AM   #26
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
On the Fourth of July '99, the year after A Thousand Leaves came out, a bud of mine and our girlfriends went up to Gatlinsburg, TN, for the freaky sights of redneck carnivale and to stop by Dollywood.

Well, on the way up, buddy's jammin' the Whiskeytown/Steve Earle/Son Volt/Wilco alt-country thing hoggin' the cd player. It's his car and he's driving. So after gritting my teeth to Summerteeth for the umpteenth time, I finally get my turn with the SY disc. And I'm predictably met with despondency by all those in the car.
"Contre Le Sexisme" comes on and makes the others uneasy right away.
Later, everyone makes it clear the only one they like (scratch that) the only song they can even stand for more than a couple of minutes is "Sunday."

So why isn't "Sunday" first on A Thousand Leaves?

Because Sonic Youth doesn't make albums for those dunderheads, they make albums for Art...and appeal to people like me.

And I can imagine most here have had many experiences, as have I, with people being instantly turned-off by Sonic Youth.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2007, 09:06 AM   #27
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I think the albums whole sound mood and design have a very trapped feel, despite many of the songs being long and drawn out.
It sounds and looks like it was made in some kind of mental institution.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2007, 05:26 PM   #28
bananamuffin
empty page

bananamuffin has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
So why isn't "Sunday" first on A Thousand Leaves?
Because Sonic Youth doesn't make albums for those dunderheads, they make albums for Art...and appeal to people like me.
I totally agree with you. The first song on the album sets the tone for the whole thing, and to kick things off with a really accessible rock song when the rest of the album isn't like that would be a mistake.

STarting off with a quieter, more abstract Kim number was a good idea. However, Contre le Sexisme is probably the only song on the album I find a true waste of time and would like to get rid of from the album completely. I would nominate "Female Mechanic on Duty" as the opening number. It even has the album name in the lyrics.
bananamuffin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2007, 05:51 PM   #29
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I'd say the album is a bit difficult but rewarding, I like it much more than Washing Machine actually.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 10:36 AM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
amazing album

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2011, 03:59 PM   #31
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I was just listening to this album again over a good cup of Ethiopian coffee.. my lord it is a perfect and divine album. it takes to so many places, it is ethereal, transcendent, enrapturing.. Especially at moments like the erruption bridge/break down in middle of Female Mechanic on Duty, and again that same kind of eruptive transition from Wildflower Soul to Hoarfrost...

experimental, soundscape driven guitar music doesn't get any more subtly perfect then this, it is exactly what Sonic Youth does best, be it on sonic Death or near 10 years later on Daydream Nation, or 15 years after that with Sonic Nurse..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2011, 04:47 PM   #32
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

9. The Ineffable Me. Kim Gordon's overall contribution to the band during this period just annoys me, sorry. Shame, because some of music here is pretty good.

I see this as an album that shows real signs of a 'new' SY emerging. The vox still suck, and I do believe that KG was a nightmare during this period. In all though, it's a REAL improvement on EJSTNS and, especially, Washing Machine. It also, in Hits of Sunshine and Karen Koltrane, contains two of their greatest ever moments.

yer opinion on Ineffable me is disgusting....That song is fantastic...I love every second of it...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2011, 05:23 PM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Man.. nowadays, I think this is their best album ever, probably, besides confusion. I am even into Kim's nightmare vox now.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2011, 06:12 PM   #34
mindbomb
little trouble girl

mindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Man.. nowadays, I think this is their best album ever, probably, besides confusion. I am even into Kim's nightmare vox now.

atsonicpark deserves a salutation for making this post. Personally, I bought 1000leaves when it came out in 98 if I remember correctly. The albumn had a spring/summery vibe going on as I remember 102.1 in Toronto playing Sunday and announcing the new release. Yah, that albumn really reminded me of a newfound artistic maturity at the time. I remember listening to this albumn at an old friends house and my one friend basically skipped on the cd thru 'wildflower soul' to get to the guitar jam part. My other friend got offended by it, thinking it ruins the tune to skip thru the track. Haha. Anyway, I don't like either of those guys much anymore. This was in like 2000 or something. Makes me laugh now.
Old 01.11.2011, 08:11 PM   #35
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Man.. nowadays, I think this is their best album ever,
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb
atsonicpark deserves a salutation for making this post. Personally, I bought 1000leaves when it came out in 98 if I remember correctly. The albumn had a spring/summery vibe going on as I remember 102.1 in Toronto playing Sunday and announcing the new release. Yah, that albumn really reminded me of a newfound artistic maturity at the time. I remember listening to this albumn at an old friends house and my one friend basically skipped on the cd thru 'wildflower soul' to get to the guitar jam part. My other friend got offended by it, thinking it ruins the tune to skip thru the track. Haha. Anyway, I don't like either of those guys much anymore. This was in like 2000 or something. Makes me laugh now.
and yes

Old 01.11.2011, 09:59 PM   #36
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
So many good things here. I love how Heather Angel feels more of an idea than a song. The sudden ending is brilliant. The "oooh"s in the second verse of Karen Koltrane give me chills every time. The beat that develops at the end of Contre Le Sexisme is terrifying. How clean and noisy Wildflower Soul gets is why it was my favorite song for years. Kim's laughter in The Ineffable Me. The dreamlike ending of Female Mechanic Now On Duty. Lee's Hoarfrost. The joyous Snare, Girl. Hits of Sunshine for Carlo Marx. What an album!

French Tickler is a great tune, but compared to 9 of the others, it doesn't shine. I hardly ever listen to Sunday.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2011, 10:19 PM   #37
logicalharm
little trouble girl

logicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asses
I used to really dislike the Kim songs on this album. Even though I still have to be in the mood for some of them, each song has grown on me some way or another.

Snare, Girl is pretty underrated.
logicalharm is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2011, 10:54 PM   #38
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalharm
I used to really dislike the Kim songs on this album. Even though I still have to be in the mood for some of them, each song has grown on me some way or another.

Snare, Girl is pretty underrated.

actually I kind of think that these are some of kim's strongest vocal tunes..

Old 01.11.2011, 11:10 PM   #39
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
hoarfrost is my favorite lee song next to genetic
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2011, 02:06 AM   #40
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamuffin
I totally agree with you. The first song on the album sets the tone for the whole thing, and to kick things off with a really accessible rock song when the rest of the album isn't like that would be a mistake.

STarting off with a quieter, more abstract Kim number was a good idea. However, Contre le Sexisme is probably the only song on the album I find a true waste of time and would like to get rid of from the album completely. I would nominate "Female Mechanic on Duty" as the opening number. It even has the album name in the lyrics.

I could be cute and point out that "Contre Le Sexisme" has the album name in the lyrics too.

The original track listing had "Ineffable Me" first, I believe. "Contre" was somewhere in the middle. "Snare" was last!

I disliked "Contre" for a long, long time, and perhaps that had some effect on my notorious opinion of the album itself. Don't know...but I like the track quite a lot now...though I rarely listen to this album in its entirety anymore (usually a side or two of vinyl rather than the CD from front to back). I dig that they decided to open the album with a piece snipped from a larger improvisation - it's basically just an injection of the SYR spirit into the lead-off track from the major label album! Then "Sunday" starts and everyone can breathe...for a few minutes...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth