Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Where To Start With Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.05.2007, 04:11 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
another book about SY?

http://mycherieamour.blogspot.com/20...nic-youth.html

Where To Start With... Sonic Youth

<DIV class=post-body>
This'll be the first of a number of these 'Rough Guides' I've written for Kerrang! materialising on the Blog. You need to see them in the magazine, really, to appreciate how well they work - which is tribute to the great art team who work at the mag. Otherwise, they're fun to write, to try and play with the restrictions of the format, and to seduce Kerrang!'s youthful readership into the same music that perverted my music tastes when I was their age.

I'm currently working on a book about Sonic Youth, for publication later this year. More info as I get it.

Hailing from NYC’s cerebral avant-garde scene, but pointedly obsessed with Pop Culture, Sonic Youth have spent the last quarter-century as rock’s most influential mavericks. They pioneered the ‘reinvention’ of the electric guitar (detuning it, attacking it with screwdrivers, and artfully ‘playing’ feedback), covered Madonna and jammed with Iggy and Neil Young, and grunge would never had happened without them. Along the way, their fluorescent, discordant noise split rock’s atom, redrawing the blueprint several times over and breaking every rule with subversive brilliance. Following Nirvana’s Youth-abetted breakthrough, 1992’s Dirty saw the group attempt a thrilling ‘crossover’ of their own, selling pro-feminist anthems and atonal rock’n’roll to MTV, with impressive success. Subtly expanding rock’s horizons and IQ level without ever losing touch with the kinetic thrill of overdriven, abused guitars, utterly committed to their exploration of all things Sonic, and ever-Youthful - fourteen albums later, they’<SPAN>re making the best and bravest music of their career.
Moshe is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2007, 04:25 AM   #2
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
ANOTHER SY book!?!?!

Why'd they suddenly become popular among the authors of this world?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2007, 09:33 AM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
ANOTHER SY book!?!?!

Why'd they suddenly become popular among the authors of this world?
the question is, when did sonic youth fans get old enough that publishing houses take their book proposals seriously?

sonic LIFE!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth