Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.24.2018, 05:26 PM   #22461
hairs missing
empty page

hairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asses
Speaking of Orson Welles, the upcoming release of his unfinished film, "The Other Side of the Wind" is one of my most anticipated releases of 2018. There's no official release date as far as I'm aware, but it's expected to become available on Netflix in a couple of months.

The way he went from directing one of the most highly revered films of all time at the age of 25 to being ostracized by the studio system later in his life has always fascinated me...

"Our songs will all be silenced, but what of it? Go on singing"

Lady From Shanghai is my favorite
hairs missing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2018, 08:15 PM   #22462
hairs missing
empty page

hairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asseshairs missing kicks all y'all's asses
Speaking of Orson Welles and unfinished projects, here's Alejandro Jodorowsky talking about the casting for DUNE, taken from "The Spiritual Journey of Alejandro Jodorowsky:

"For the role of the baron Harkonnen, a vulgar, cruel giant, I thought of Orson Welles. I knew he was in France but that he had become embittered at the lack of producers interested in his own work, and it was said that he wanted nothing more to do with film. Where could I find him? No one seemed to know. I had heard that the master had a passion for gourmet food and drink. I got an assistant to telephone all the best restaurants in Paris and find out if Orson Welles was a customer.

After countless calls, a small restaurant, Chez le Loup, told us that he came there once a week, though not on any specific day. I decided to dine there every night beginning on Monday. It was a discreetly elegant place with a fine menu and a superb wine selection. The owner himself took orders. Almost all the walls were decorated with Renoir reproductions. The one exception was a wall with a window. In front of it there was a broken chair. When I asked the owner about it, he said: 'We are very proud of that piece of litter. One evening, Orson Welles sat in that chair and he ate so much that it broke'

I returned every night. Finally, on Friday, the great man arrived, wrapped in an enormous black cape. I watched him with the same fascination as a child at the zoo. His appetite and his thirst were stupendous. I saw him devour nine different dishes and drink six bottles of wine. For dessert, I sent him a bottle of cognac that the owner had assured me was his favorite brand. When it came, he looked around and amiably invited me to his table.

For a half hour, I listened to his monologue before daring to speak of the role. No sooner did I bring up the subject than he answered: 'Acting doesn't interest me. I detest contemporary cinema. It's not an art; it's a nauseating industry, a vast mirage born of prostitution.' My disappointment was immense, and I swallowed with difficulty. How could I inspire enthusiasm in him so that he would agree to work with me?

I was tense and seemingly at a total loss for words when suddenly I heard myself say: 'Mr. Welles, during the entire month that the filming of your role will require, I promise you to hire the head cook of this very restaurant. Every evening, he will prepare all the dishes you desire accompanied by any wines and liquors that please you.'

With a big smile, he agreed to sign the contract."

Quite a missed opportunity.
hairs missing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2018, 03:42 AM   #22463
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Haha, the more you hear about Jodorowsky's Dune the more it sounds like the greatest film never made. Besides Welles, it was also meant to star Salvador Dali with the whole film designed by H.R Giger. Probably best it wasn't ever made so we can go on fantasising about what might've been.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2018, 04:10 AM   #22464
shawnyadav
empty page

shawnyadav has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
12 Strong

Old 04.25.2018, 05:30 PM   #22465
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Re: Gospel/Pasolini - The fact that he Vatican claims that the director behind Salo made the greatest depiction of Jesus Christ’s life always blow my mind. Most films that depict religious stories are melodramatic and way over the top. I can’t wait to see how Pasolini’s very strange ‘realism’ handles this story. I love Pasolini. To me he is in his own league, it is very hard to compare him to anybody. His films taunt me in a certain way.

Re: Citizen Kane- It’s essential. Nothing to add and don’t want to gush about it to anyone who hasn’t seen it. I piss off a lot of ‘film buffs’ when I tell them I like How Green Was My Valley better (HGWMV won best picture in 1941 instead of Kane, which people are apparently still pissy about?).
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2018, 05:40 PM   #22466
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Interesting. I wanted to see this last month at the cinema but missed it. I'll have to wait till it's on DVD now, but as a big PTA and DDL fan it's my most anticipated film so far this year.

I want to say more but don’t want to ruin anything. When you see it let me know what you think!
Old 04.27.2018, 03:21 PM   #22467
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am so hype for NINJA BATMAN gonna watch that bic this weekend
Old 04.28.2018, 04:43 PM   #22468
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i haven’t yet...

i just finished building my hurried FILMSTRUCK watchlist and... i’m about to vomit with delight haa haaa haaaa

well not really vomit but you know how when you vomit you don’t want to but you’re overpowered by something else you can’t control?

kinda like that. im going nuts with the queue. don’t know where to begin. gave the thing to my wife and said “punch whichever one you want”

here we go...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2018, 07:01 PM   #22469
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ho
lee
fuck
the gates of paradise have opened
Old 04.28.2018, 09:17 PM   #22470
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Flesh Gordon.

Good ole 70s X-rated satire.
Old 04.28.2018, 09:22 PM   #22471
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ho
lee
fuck
the gates of paradise have opened

I’m happy for you! Can’t wait to hear about the journey
Old 04.29.2018, 05:01 AM   #22472
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I can't browse the UK version of Filmstruck without joining but looking at what's on the US site it does look like heaven.
Old 04.29.2018, 06:03 AM   #22473
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom

Re: Citizen Kane- It’s essential. Nothing to add and don’t want to gush about it to anyone who hasn’t seen it. I piss off a lot of ‘film buffs’ when I tell them I like How Green Was My Valley better (HGWMV won best picture in 1941 instead of Kane, which people are apparently still pissy about?).

There will always be films we prefer over films we can still recognise as 'greater'. I can accept a films greatness even if I don't particularly like it but no one will ever stop me preferring The Omen over The Exorcist.
Old 04.29.2018, 06:39 AM   #22474
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

so the whole thing started on a light note

first thing was this thing i had never even heard of, A LITTLE ROMANCE (1979) feturing a superyoung diane lane , a kid who would later quit movies and become a dentist, laurence olivier doing a french accent, sally kellerman, . etc. about two thirteen year olds who go bananas for each other in paris (rich/poor american/french etc).

it’s fun and funny and, you know, nice, and it’s no critical masterpiece so dont know how it ended up on criterion (or is it filmstruck, hard to understand this app), but it’s a pleasant happy way to spend a spring afternoon with the lady. a bit like cinema paradiso last weekend, it’s a kind of movie lover’s movie (a lot of the plot and imagery revolves about movies here too, but here more limited).

i’m thinking due to timing + subject it might have been an inspiration for people like wes anderson or linklater. it’s definitely there.

later finally managed to see the marx brothers’ A NIGHT AT THE OPERA, which was completely ridiculous— and great. what is it about brothers that generates this particular sense of humor? it’s always brothers—these guys, or the stooges, or the zuckers, etc.

meanwhile been getting an eyeful of the curated lists and menus and more and don’t even know where to begin. wanted to find butch cassidy and the sundance kid and couldn’t find it there. or the sting (cuz they were important to that french thing). so it doesn’t have *everything* obviously but it has so much i don’t even know where to begin. guess it doesn’t matter ha ha ha ha.
Old 04.29.2018, 11:16 AM   #22475
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Antarctica, A Year on Ice. Really a nice docu. Not a really full examination of life there, but really nice photography. Lots of very effective time lapse.

ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2018, 01:12 PM   #22476
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Followed up Flesh Gordon with Private School

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086143/
Old 04.29.2018, 02:24 PM   #22477
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Last night I watched Cosmos by Andrzej Zulawski. I quite enjoyed it. Seemed to be quite influenced by Bunel, reminded me a lot of The Exterminating Angel.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2018, 05:23 PM   #22478
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ha ha ha exterminating angel is hilarious

i’ll look for that one you said

—-

just finished watching jane campion’s HOLY SMOKE

aka kate winslet vs. harvey keitel

besides the obvious glory of kate winslet’s breasts (useless to pretend otherwise, and the movie is self-aware in this respect), i really liked it on account of 2... no, 3 more things:

1) it was a really original screenplay, without going into any kind of experimental or “theory” shit. just the kind of story you rarely or never see on... netflix online (ha ha ha).

2) great performances by the two main characters

3) the setting and the australian cast, hilarious/looks awesome

ok.

have to say i had not seen a jane campion movie since... eh... since the piano came out! which was great. but then lost track. and this service has a bunch of them now.
Old 04.29.2018, 05:46 PM   #22479
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ha ha ha exterminating angel is hilarious

i’ll look for that one you said

—-

just finished watching jane campion’s HOLY SMOKE

aka kate winslet vs. harvey keitel

besides the obvious glory of kate winslet’s breasts (useless to pretend otherwise, and the movie is self-aware in this respect), i really liked it on account of 2... no, 3 more things:

1) it was a really original screenplay, without going into any kind of experimental or “theory” shit. just the kind of story you rarely or never see on... netflix online (ha ha ha).

2) great performances by the two main characters

3) the setting and the australian cast, hilarious/looks awesome

ok.

have to say i had not seen a jane campion movie since... eh... since the piano came out! which was great. but then lost track. and this service has a bunch of them now.

You had me at "Kate Winslet"
Old 04.29.2018, 07:20 PM   #22480
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Cheerleader Camp
624102410741114112111221123 1124 112511261127113411741224 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth