Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Do you still listen to Mellow Gold?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.19.2009, 03:28 AM   #21
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
maybe that's part of the problem.
Hahahaha
Old 01.19.2009, 05:37 AM   #22
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Hehe, I think you mean Whiskey Clone. Whiskey Cyclone sounds like a bad-ass cocktail though.
Actually, I mean Whiskeyclone, you snide bastard.

But really, I've always though it was cyclone. I don't even know what to think anymore.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2009, 05:20 PM   #23
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
What are his two indie records like? Do they have great hip-hop beats or anything?

No.

One Foot In The Grave is a lo-fi blues and folk album and Stereopathetic Soulmanure is a showcase of country ballads, noise rock, banjo instrumentals, stoner diary entries.. etc. Beck at the top of his game. Audible transistions from his early demo tapes like Don't Get Bent Out Of Shape and Fresh Meat
to Mellow Gold.

And yeah, I do still listen to Mellow Gold. Each track is something special. I like how Beck transposes that down-home bluesman feel to his very much metropolitan LA life. There are some touching moments here on this album, also some fun poppin and lockin jams.

Fuck labeling Odelay as a party album, too, as if it has no substance to it. If you want a party album, listen to friggin' Midnite Vultures. Has anyone even listened to the lyrics on Odelay? "Yo soy un disco quebrado", from Hotwax, or "Watch me die in my suicide ride" from Novacane? He does a good job of hiding his feelings, but they are there. That's been one of Beck's recurring problems though, he's not honest enough, like he used to be. No wonder Modern Guilt is so depressing.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2009, 07:34 PM   #24
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Hmm by the sounds of it, his Indie stuff wouldn't appeal to me a great deal.
Old 01.20.2009, 12:09 AM   #25
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Is One Foot In The Grave OOP? If so, can someone upload it?

If not, don't bother. I've just never seen it before, except sitting a friend's roommate's boyfriend's CD crate once.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2009, 12:29 AM   #26
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Mellow Gold is a good album. Its dynamic, has a song or two for most basic moods one could expect. My favorites are the slower songs (Steal My Body Home, Blackhole, Whiskey Clone)
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2009, 01:02 AM   #27
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Fuck labeling Odelay as a party album, too, as if it has no substance to it. If you want a party album, listen to friggin' Midnite Vultures. Has anyone even listened to the lyrics on Odelay? "Yo soy un disco quebrado", from Hotwax, or "Watch me die in my suicide ride" from Novacane? He does a good job of hiding his feelings, but they are there. That's been one of Beck's recurring problems though, he's not honest enough, like he used to be. No wonder Modern Guilt is so depressing.

I have to disagree with this a bit. While some of the songs off Modern Guilt aren't his "best"m or the lyrics may not seem to have as much "substance", I feel that some of the lyrics from the songs are very revealing.

"Don't know what I've done, but I feel ashamed" from the song Modern Guilt, the lyrics for Chemtrails is darker than his other recent stuff, "Some days are worse than you can imagine, How am I supposed to live with that" from Walls, or how about "I'm tired of people who only want to be pleased" from Volcano. I'm not saying the album Modern Guilt is amazing, or his best, but I think it wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2009, 04:13 AM   #28
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks_to_Pop
I have to disagree with this a bit. While some of the songs off Modern Guilt aren't his "best"m or the lyrics may not seem to have as much "substance", I feel that some of the lyrics from the songs are very revealing.

"Don't know what I've done, but I feel ashamed" from the song Modern Guilt, the lyrics for Chemtrails is darker than his other recent stuff, "Some days are worse than you can imagine, How am I supposed to live with that" from Walls, or how about "I'm tired of people who only want to be pleased" from Volcano. I'm not saying the album Modern Guilt is amazing, or his best, but I think it wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be.

No, I agree with you here, what I meant is that Modern Guilt is the culmination of a lot of bottled-up feelings.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2009, 07:54 AM   #29
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Is One Foot In The Grave OOP? If so, can someone upload it?

If not, don't bother. I've just never seen it before, except sitting a friend's roommate's boyfriend's CD crate once.

You should be able to find a re-issue at your local hipster record store. If not, definitely online.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth