Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Severian's electronic music gastropub
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.01.2017, 11:07 AM   #161
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
lots of great electronic music coming out right now or in the next few months. Really looking forward to Sully's new album on Keysound, this should be great. there are great albums incoming from DJ Python and Lee Gamble – DJ Python's is really impressive.

The new Hype Williams seems to gather average reviews but I'm really enjoying it too – quite a few beauty tracks on this. Same with the new Second Storey!
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2017, 11:14 AM   #162
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
also – I'm about to see Mumdance again tonight and can't wait not as excited about his stuff as I used to be two or three years ago, but I'm still super stoked
Old 09.01.2017, 08:52 PM   #163
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
lots of great electronic music coming out right now or in the next few months. Really looking forward to Sully's new album on Keysound, this should be great. there are great albums incoming from DJ Python and Lee Gamble – DJ Python's is really impressive.

The new Hype Williams seems to gather average reviews but I'm really enjoying it too – quite a few beauty tracks on this. Same with the new Second Storey!

I haven't heard the new Hype Williams. Will listen. Stat!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2017, 03:53 AM   #164
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I haven't heard the new Hype Williams. Will listen. Stat!
yeah it deserves your attention. it's full of short melancholy vignettes with analogue synths and gorgeous pads, I'm enjoying it more than the other recent Hype Williams releases (though they may actually not be produced by the same artists)
Old 09.03.2017, 04:48 AM   #165
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
I don't get the impression that blunt is actually involved in rainbow edition, seems like a bit of a hype pisstake but still hits the spot. of the recent stuff only 10/10 and the other one that sounded like the blue overs on record strike me as having him. makes me wonder what happened to the hyperdub record that was announced back in 13 -- know for a fact this existed and was made by "dean and a friend" so i'm guessing it might be black metal but unsure as to why goodman didn't get to put it out.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2017, 12:01 PM   #166
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
I don't get the impression that blunt is actually involved in rainbow edition, seems like a bit of a hype pisstake but still hits the spot. of the recent stuff only 10/10 and the other one that sounded like the blue overs on record strike me as having him. makes me wonder what happened to the hyperdub record that was announced back in 13 -- know for a fact this existed and was made by "dean and a friend" so i'm guessing it might be black metal but unsure as to why goodman didn't get to put it out.

Yeah, apparently no Blunt and no Copeland. But the whole goddamn affair is shrouded in so much deliberately confusing misdirection and mystery at this point that, honestly, who the fuck knows? Just how deep does the meta-joke go here? I don't fucking know. But I did listen to it, and I do like it... if not as much as, say, Babyfather... definitely not as much as Black Metal or the previous HW stuff. Some of that 2009-11 material really struck a chord with me, and I'd love to hear the logical conclusion and know it's what I was looking forward to.

There's good stuff on this release though. "Baby Blu" and "The Whole Lay" and "Spinderella's Dream" are the songs I identified right away as favorites, but there's a lot to like about the looser sketches and less fleshed out tracks too.

I wish there was more clarity here. I just have no idea what to believe about who made it. Help me, one of you, if you think you have more solid answers.
Old 09.04.2017, 06:37 AM   #167
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, apparently no Blunt and no Copeland. But the whole goddamn affair is shrouded in so much deliberately confusing misdirection and mystery at this point that, honestly, who the fuck knows? Just how deep does the meta-joke go here? I don't fucking know. But I did listen to it, and I do like it... if not as much as, say, Babyfather... definitely not as much as Black Metal or the previous HW stuff. Some of that 2009-11 material really struck a chord with me, and I'd love to hear the logical conclusion and know it's what I was looking forward to.

There's good stuff on this release though. "Baby Blu" and "The Whole Lay" and "Spinderella's Dream" are the songs I identified right away as favorites, but there's a lot to like about the looser sketches and less fleshed out tracks too.

I wish there was more clarity here. I just have no idea what to believe about who made it. Help me, one of you, if you think you have more solid answers.
Tbf I think it's the point, and it's been one of the goals of the Hype Williams' project from the beginning. From the beginning they've been spreading contradictory and confusing information regarding the number of artists in the act and their biography, or leading their followers in wrong directions through the Rinse FM show they did a while ago for instance. I've always perceived that as a will to create confusion out of information overload, eventually ending in a situation where you have no clear idea what you are listening anymore. That is a very clever move in a world where we are actually saturated with information, which can distract you from listening to the actual music content. Here, the effect they reach is the opposite – they have managed to shortcut the effects of Internet with a record where you have absolutely no information on who did the record or if it is linked at all with the previous records linked to this name. Which means you can only listen to it for itself, and appreciate it in its own context, trying to make sense of the music itself without trying to find answers in the artist discography or biography or whatever.
Old 09.04.2017, 08:13 AM   #168
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
but the issue that arose with hw is that their sound and approach was so distinctive to the point where it's abundantly clear they're not involved any longer -- as you say hype was about complete sensory overload in every sense, their mid-period songs were masticated samples and their approach was completely shrouded in pot fug but somewhere along the line it emerged as a songwriterly identifier which is appreciable in both blunt's work and perhaps more so in lolina, their evasion of identity in itself was a very strong one informed by the instincts of the two and it's abundantly clear when they're absent which undermines the whole vision slightly. like 10/10 is very clearly blunt (sounds identical to uk2uk) but it seems as if he consciously left a chasm that copeland would've filled which in itself is a concession to the fact that hype was the product of two very strong musical personalities.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2017, 09:47 AM   #169
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
but the issue that arose with hw is that their sound and approach was so distinctive to the point where it's abundantly clear they're not involved any longer -- as you say hype was about complete sensory overload in every sense, their mid-period songs were masticated samples and their approach was completely shrouded in pot fug but somewhere along the line it emerged as a songwriterly identifier which is appreciable in both blunt's work and perhaps more so in lolina, their evasion of identity in itself was a very strong one informed by the instincts of the two and it's abundantly clear when they're absent which undermines the whole vision slightly. like 10/10 is very clearly blunt (sounds identical to uk2uk) but it seems as if he consciously left a chasm that copeland would've filled which in itself is a concession to the fact that hype was the product of two very strong musical personalities.

I agree with this, except that I'm not even sure it's abundantly clear they're no longer involved. Honestly, for all we know they could have made this project and said they didn't make it, and invented some alter ego names to attach to it, and deliberately made a product that sounds different enough that it's believable. Seriously. And yes, I think the fact that that's even being wondered about undermines the project a bit, and makes it in fact less about the music and more, in a circuitous way, about who made it.

Fox is right that it's cool to have a project that exists entirely on its own, but this isn't that project, because of all the sensory and information overload stuff behind the name from the start. For me, it diminishes the impact a bit, whereas a clearer picture of what was happening would lend itself to the project standing in its own.

I do think Rainbow Edition is a strong album. I'm glad I gave it a listen, and I'm listening to it more and more. But the fake outs and the blurred lines and the constant, deliberate WTF-nesss of the whole thing make it harder to not think about the artists. Counter productive, if the point is to make art that exists only as the art that it is in that moment.

Good album though. I mean, I'm really enjoying it. Maybe that means I'm right smack dab at the center of a huge joke. Don't care. Like it.
Old 09.05.2017, 12:38 PM   #170
SYRFox
invito al cielo

you both make good points on this imo. for me this album alongside the idea of information saturation that's driven their whole discography makes perfect sense and that's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much (being able to focus on the sole music and love it as such), but I can totally see how that could distract from the experience. I guess at the very least, this shows their music is still as thought-provocative, which is a good thing I think
Old 09.07.2017, 08:40 AM   #171
Severian
invito al cielo

2Raumwohmnung - "Somebody Lonely & Me" (DJ KOZE REMIX)

No matter how much I pray or hope or whatever, DJ Koze just doesn't seem very into the idea of releasing a formal follow-up to 2013's Amygdala (one of the top three albums of the decade, no question; listen if you haven't heard it).
BUT... I do occasionally check social media, and I see that he recently reworked this track by 2Raumwohmnung. I have no real idea who the fuck that is, but Koze continues to turn every remix he does on its ear, painting every track in Koze colors.

Good shit. Nice new song.
Old 09.07.2017, 01:22 PM   #172
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Steffi's new album is out in two weeks and it's stellar. I'm usually bored with Ostgut Ton these days but this one is incredible. I think you'd like it Severian!
Old 09.11.2017, 02:17 PM   #173
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Harmonia & Eno '76 - Atmosphere (Edward's Desert Version)

Harmonia is a Krautrock/Kosmische Musik group from Germany – formed as a collaboration of Michael Rother of Neu!, Hans-Joachim Roedelius and Dieter Möbius of Cluster 1973. In the same year, the song "Sehr Kosmisch" was released on the band's debut album "Musik von Harmonia". In September 1976 Brian Eno and Harmonia then collaborated and recorded "Atmosphere" at the band's studio in Forst, Germany. However, the song was not released until 1997 as the tape was considered lost for almost twenty years.

Who would be more suitable to remix original Krautrock material than Gilles Aiken, better known as Edward? Considering his latest productions, Edward mostly works within house and techno templates while echoing Krautrock figures like Connie Plank. He is recognized for producing filigree club tracks that come with a spiritual edge. Over the years, this combination has made him a mainstay of Berlin's White label as well as Weimar's esteemed Giegling crew.

Taken from the EP: Harmonia & Eno '76 - Edward Versions. Released on Die Orakel, 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJsXUU-fGbg

cool track!!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2017, 06:49 PM   #174
Severian
invito al cielo

Mount Kimbie - Love What Survives

This group is solid, and incentive, and dark and moody and textured, with a nice balance of organic and synthetic sounds. I've liked them since Cold Spring Fault Less Youth in 2013, and I think they're turning into one of the more important groups in the overall modern electronic scene.

I wish they would use King Krule... um... less. But even with his vocals all over ⅓ of their recent output, it's still good music. Good smart electronic music that also kicks ass. Reminids me of Portishead in that regard.

Good stuff.
Old 09.13.2017, 01:10 AM   #175
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
just found out UNKLE has released new album after 7 years. I really liked first two albums back then and I am really intrigued how the new one sounds. have to hear it. did anyone heard it yet by any chance?

Old 09.13.2017, 04:38 AM   #176
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
just found out UNKLE has released new album after 7 years. I really liked first two albums back then and I am really intrigued how the new one sounds. have to hear it. did anyone heard it yet by any chance?

Don't forget to stop by at the bar tonight at 6pm. I'll deejay some serious shit there.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2017, 04:50 AM   #177
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Don't forget to stop by at the bar tonight at 6pm. I'll deejay some serious shit there.

I hope plenty of spoken word and field recordings in between as well . yeah, I will stop by. aaaah, Fuga, my favourite cellar space... what about tomorrows gig in A4?

Old 09.13.2017, 04:59 AM   #178
greenlight
invito al cielo

bollocks, bollocks, bollocks!

20 years of Hospital productions in Berghain Berlin!

Alberich LIVE | Dedekind Cut LIVE | Lussuria LIVE | Ancient Methods | Becka Diamond | Dtekk | Function | Phase Fatale | Ron Morelli | Shifted | Silent Servant | Vatican Shadow

why, why Berghain? no tickets in advance on sale. what is the point to book a flight ticket (30 eur return from here btw.!), book a hotel, queue up for 3 hrs just to be stopped by the infamous door policy of theirs!!! this sucks! what a line up.

Old 09.13.2017, 05:14 AM   #179
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_

Ok. Unfair.

RECORD STUFF. LET ME BUY IT FROM YOU!
Old 09.13.2017, 05:26 AM   #180
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ok. Unfair.

RECORD STUFF. LET ME BUY IT FROM YOU!

I will get you a playlist. he will be djing on terrace, but Id say we could still use some outs from da mix into digital recorder of some sort.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth