Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Singing in accents
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.13.2007, 09:55 AM   #1
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
So, following on from a recent real-world conversation with people you don't know - there's a worrying trend over here for Brits to sing Punk/ Hardcore in a faux-American accent. I'm not hot on American accents, but do people sing certain genres in a particular American accent, whether they're from there or not?

Applies to British hip-hop as well. British hip-hop often sings in accents that aren't their own. Used to be American, now it's East London.

Is it a bad thing? Idlewild I still like when they do the faux-American singing, but generally I find it annoying. Especially in the genres I've mentioned which so often seem to be about 'keeping it real' or singing from yourself.

Also, I find it infuriating when you get anyone singing in a fake Irish accent (it's never convincing) and Americans singing like the Clash is incredibly annoying. But then I have a theory that in Grindcore and the like there's a universal accent of shouting.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, I entirely neglected how infuriating nearly anyone singing in patois is if they're not from the Carribean. It's never, ever convincing.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 10.13.2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Confucious is sex
bad moon rising

Confucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
So, following on from a recent real-world conversation with people you don't know - there's a worrying trend over here for Brits to sing Punk/ Hardcore in a faux-American accent. I'm not hot on American accents, but do people sing certain genres in a particular American accent, whether they're from there or not?

Applies to British hip-hop as well. British hip-hop often sings in accents that aren't their own. Used to be American, now it's East London.

Is it a bad thing? Idlewild I still like when they do the faux-American singing, but generally I find it annoying. Especially in the genres I've mentioned which so often seem to be about 'keeping it real' or singing from yourself.

Also, I find it infuriating when you get anyone singing in a fake Irish accent (it's never convincing) and Americans singing like the Clash is incredibly annoying. But then I have a theory that in Grindcore and the like there's a universal accent of shouting.

Thoughts?

Almost all British singers in the mainstream, with a few exceptions (almost all Welsh, interestingly), feign an American accent whilst singing. It's not peculiar to the genres you cite. Consider, if you can bear so to do, Chris De Burgh's Lady in Red, where 'dance' and 'romance' are made to rhyme...
Old 10.13.2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Pharmer Brown
empty page

Pharmer Brown kicks all y'all's assesPharmer Brown kicks all y'all's assesPharmer Brown kicks all y'all's assesPharmer Brown kicks all y'all's assesPharmer Brown kicks all y'all's assesPharmer Brown kicks all y'all's assesPharmer Brown kicks all y'all's assesPharmer Brown kicks all y'all's assesPharmer Brown kicks all y'all's assesPharmer Brown kicks all y'all's assesPharmer Brown kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't experienced any bands singing in fake accents, but it is becoming popular amongst the hipsters and various other summer scarf sub-groups in toronto to speak in a fake british accent.
Pharmer Brown is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
ohh yeah, the "let's pretend i'm joe strummer" school of punk singing is annoying and horrid.

the only thing more annoying is the "let's pretend i'm eddie vedder" school of singing, and that's not even an accent.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2007, 10:55 AM   #6
sarramkrop

There's a bigger problem with singers not having a distinctive voice that isn't annoying and manages to impose itself on your ears. There's screaming and screaming. Some singers just scream, others scream in a way that gives you a glimpse of their soul, but still avoid coming across as needy or irritating exhibitionists.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2007, 11:11 AM   #7
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Very, very annoying - the very-well spoken Kate Nash singing in a dreadful mockney accent. Shut UP.
Old 10.13.2007, 11:23 AM   #8
5Against1
bad moon rising

5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses
What's an "American" accent? Brooklyn? Las Cruces? Baton Rouge?
Old 10.13.2007, 11:31 AM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Against1
What's an "American" accent? Brooklyn? Las Cruces? Baton Rouge?

I don't know, that's the point - it's just a generic everyAmerican accent.

Quote:
Old 10.13.2007, 11:34 AM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucious is sex
Almost all British singers in the mainstream, with a few exceptions (almost all Welsh, interestingly), feign an American accent whilst singing. It's not peculiar to the genres you cite. Consider, if you can bear so to do, Chris De Burgh's Lady in Red, where 'dance' and 'romance' are made to rhyme...

Yup yup, agreed. There's also the ubiquitous karaoke singers thing that affects the like of Shane Ward and whomever. Unfortunately, the likes of the Cribs, the Libertines or, dare I say it, the Arctic Monkeys are bucking this trend. Not to say they're good, but they are English.

Maybe it's for this reason I got into the Glasgow thing of the late-90s - Someone like Arab Strap seems like a breath of fresh air relative to generic everyAmerican voices.

Quote:
Old 10.13.2007, 11:58 AM   #11
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
In my part of the USA (upper midwest), you are mercilessly made fun of if you feign a British accent while singing, but for some reason if you're a Roots Rocker Grain Elevator person, feigning a drawl is perfectly acceptable.
I hate that shit too.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2007, 12:00 PM   #12
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I was in a punk band called "Fake British Accent." It was a direct jab at this other local band whose lead singer sang in a fake British accent like he was Joe Strummer or something.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2007, 02:33 PM   #13
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

Thoughts?

I wasn't aware that there was an "American accent"... all different parts of the US have a different accent, same as Canada...
I can't stand it when (a lot of the time, not always...) British musicians have incredibly big and noticable accents... just as I can't stand hearing Texans singing country or Newfoundlandians singing fucking anything.

But I love a good screamer/shouter. I even like some metal growling and pig-squeals.

Oh, and fuck fake accents, too.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2007, 06:15 PM   #14
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
I wasn't aware that there was an "American accent"... all different parts of the US have a different accent, same as Canada...
I can't stand it when (a lot of the time, not always...) British musicians have incredibly big and noticable accents... just as I can't stand hearing Texans singing country or Newfoundlandians singing fucking anything.

But I love a good screamer/shouter. I even like some metal growling and pig-squeals.

Oh, and fuck fake accents, too.

The use of a generic American accent is highly common in Hollywood cinema to make films easier to market to a worldwide audience. Unless a film is particularly based with in a subset of languages (ie New York most Scorcese flicks, Southern American such as A Street Car Named desire, Californian) the generic accent is used.

On side note when Aussies first started making Hip Hop it was always in an American accent but now Aussie hip hop artists have found their own voice and if anyone does this they are slain by all the other acts.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2007, 06:33 PM   #15
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I've said for a long time that I believe there is a universal vocal approach. It probably originated in the USA but it doesn't overally sound like a yanky accent as it does Australian, or whatever. I guess it's harder for the British to rid their accent and you usually can tell the band is from the UK.

Hmmm...
Old 10.13.2007, 11:22 PM   #16
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucious is sex
Consider, if you can bear so to do, Chris De Burgh's Lady in Red, where 'dance' and 'romance' are made to rhyme...

'dance' and 'romance' are supposed to rhyme....
m1rr0r dash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2007, 12:23 AM   #17
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Spot on, good chap, what a fine bloody thread you have here.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2007, 01:58 AM   #18
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Not really that new of a phenomena. Jello Biafra definitely learned to sing along to Sex Pistols records, but then the Mick Jagger did a pretty amusing southern American country twang in his day too.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2007, 04:03 AM   #19
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Fake accents are annoying, but it's even worse when someone sings in english with say, a strong dutch accent. If you can't pronounce it properly, use your own language damnit!
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2007, 04:52 AM   #20
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, true what you said about that Glaswegian thing, glice. Hearing a non-typical accent in a song is rather refreshing. I have a record of this scottish band called The Twilight Sad, that I find rather shitty, but I love the strong accent they're singing in and sometimes listen to their music just because of it.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth