Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Syd Barrett invented Noise-Rock
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.19.2008, 12:44 AM   #21
antnyh
empty page

Location: I live in So. Cal.-San Bernardino-but grew up in mid-town Manhatten NY
antnyh kicks all y'all's assesantnyh kicks all y'all's assesantnyh kicks all y'all's assesantnyh kicks all y'all's assesantnyh kicks all y'all's assesantnyh kicks all y'all's assesantnyh kicks all y'all's assesantnyh kicks all y'all's assesantnyh kicks all y'all's assesantnyh kicks all y'all's assesantnyh kicks all y'all's asses
Alot of Pink Floyd's best (imo) post Syd music wasn't released as official albums. The soundtrack to Zabriskie Point has some amazing ideas. There are also bootlegs that have some hard to find studio jams, like: "Rain in The Country" "Baby Blue Shuffle in D minor" and others, some of which are untitled, which really showcase the bands ability to spontaneously create spine-shivering beautiful psychedelic-tinged jams that communicate a tremendous amount of image inducing (not lsd induced necessarily) music.
I guess it comes down to personal taste in the end though.
antnyh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 05:23 AM   #22
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Ha ha, I'd totally forgotten about this thread.

I agree, theres some bootlegged material which is very good from Pink Floyd. However I think Pink Floyd were very good at selecting their best material for their LPs.

Am I alone in thinking the More soundtrack ranks amongst the band's finest?

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 05:29 AM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
White Noise - An Electric Storm, from 1969 I believe.

Has ambient, doom, drone, almost Lydia Lunch-ish no wavey type stuff, electronic, noise, and pretty much everything else you can think of on it.

Download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/3562355/...-_192.rar.html

It's a future "classics album" post of mine.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 05:30 AM   #24
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
White Noise - An Electrical Storm, from 1968 I believe.

Has ambient, doom, drone, no wave, electronic, noise, and pretty much everything else you can think of on it.

Ha ha, my buddy who owns my local/favourite record shop described this as the "shittest LP" he'd ever heard.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 09.19.2008, 05:33 AM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
He's retarded then. Sorry. Opinions are opinions, but there's no way anyone who seriously appreciates music could ever call it the "shittest".

Old 09.19.2008, 05:35 AM   #26
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Yeah, I know. The guys favourite band is Motorhead. He's a fairly straight-ahead rock fan, and I realise what he hates I could well like. But still, he works in a record shop, so when he talks, people listen.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 09.19.2008, 05:36 AM   #27
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Explode the Soul into Holographic Sound Eternal, March 9, 2006 By W. T. Hoffman "artist and musician"

(Williampsort, Pa United States) - See all my reviews

OK, I've had my share of creepy experiences with music, naturally psychedelic music, and my mind. I'm an explorer of the mind, a willing fool who will delve into any uncharted territory, to find that ultimate SOUL-BRAIN experience. I came across this band's name, thru MOJO magazine. It had an article, listing the 50 most mind blowing LPS of all time. (Number one was Capt. Beefheart's TROUT MASK--another CD I had had a bizarre experience back in art school, in the 80s.) Anyway, this CD was listed number TEN. WHA??? THE TENTH MOST PSYCHEDELIC ALBUM OF ALL TIME? I"VE NEVER HEARD OF IT? MUST BUY..MUST BUY. Well, the first time i heard it, i was impressed. The studio effects, for the time (1968) were amazing. There are some wild songs, with twists and turns during the more "structured" song like selections, that really helt my attention, and tickled my imagination, and freaked me even during my everyday conscousness. Apparently, the LP had been a labor of love, or some obsession like love, built up almost note by note, over the period of a year or more. Talk about ambient electronics....for that sound alone, you could mine this piece of art for years. As for early Pink Floyd, for comparison, it sounds far beyond what they were doing at the time. In fact, having a collection of music, that I tend to think of, as the "MOST PSYCHEDELIC MUSIC EVER RECORDED", I'd have to put this CD up there, at the top. So anyway, the legend behind the LP is interesting. Chris Blackwell, AKA Island Records, gave the electronic wizard behind this LP, about 3000 pounds, to make the album. After a YEAR, Blackwell wanted product, and when he had seen they only had 30 minutes of this mind labaryth recorded, he DEMANED a finished album, in a matter of days. So, that is what spawned the most FRIGHTENING, SCARY, PSYCHEDLIC, HOLOGRAPHIC, KALIDASCOPIC song of all time---BLACK MASS (ELECTRIC STORM IN HELL). Unlike many of the other songs, after the invocation to SOMETHING DARK AND OBSCURE, the 7 minute track is just instrumental. (Altho you might experience it as lasting far far longer. You know how time dialates, as you approach the speed of light.) I can't discribe what you hear, tho alot of it is percussion and freak out screaming, with electronic effects, layers up, and spinning between the speakers. What you REALLY hear, the title best sums up. Now, it's not BLACK SABATH freaky, or heavy metal kiddy music for your Le VAY infacuation. The title BLACK MASS, is just part of the scare tactics. It's not demonic, if you are worried about that on moral grounds. This is a song, that would give anyone the creeps, if you just LISTEN to it. But, if the planets are lined up just right, and the incense is just right, the setting just right, and the brain is vibrating in OPEN mode, then you are going to be sent into TOTAL BRAIN FRY FREAKLAND. Somehow, its encoded into the music, and I find that INCREDIBLE. Its just frightening, for some reason. Even with the sophistication of modern 48 channel digital mixing boards, computer controlled volumn sliders, preprogrammed multi-channel panning, 5.1 sound coming at you from all around, nothing I've heard approaches the incredible sound found on this song. (and the whole album, really.) Sometimes, having everything available for you, at the touch of a button, provided you have this month's computer, and this month's program running in it, limits you more, than the CREATIVE PUSH you get, from using limited technology, to produce something 20-30 years ahead of its time. After all, even with all the technology we have today, right now we dont have the technology to fly back to the moon, or produce another Sgt. Pepper. So, who would like this CD? I would say, if you are into some of PINK FLOYD, ZAPPA, freaky Krautrock (BRAINTICKET's 1st LP), Capt. BEEFHEART, early Velvet Underground, Lydia Lunch's 13.13, the best of MERCURY REV, or CAMPER VAN BEETHOVAN. So much of the way music works you over, is personal, and subjective. However, when you start to read, or hear, many of the same discriptions given to certain LPS, or people "FREAK OUT" to the same LPs, then you might want to investigate. OR NOT, CHICKEN!!!! If you can't take it, go pull out your ABBA Lps, and hug a stuffed animal. PS--HIGHLY PSYCHEDELIC. Mixing this music with other psychedelic substances can be dangerous, even deadly. Headphones may increase this effect dramatically. Do not listen while operating machinery, driving UFOs, or attempting to chew gum. ISLAND RECORDS not responsible for any mental meltdowns from listening to this album. Listen at your own risk. (RISK IT!)

Old 09.19.2008, 05:40 AM   #28
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Ha ha, I'd totally forgotten about this thread.

I agree, theres some bootlegged material which is very good from Pink Floyd. However I think Pink Floyd were very good at selecting their best material for their LPs.

Am I alone in thinking the More soundtrack ranks amongst the band's finest?

God, I love More. But I love A Saucerful of Secrets and Meddle more.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 06:01 AM   #29
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Saucerful of Secret maybe, but More beats meddle in my eyes. I enjoy playing The Nile Song to friends who've got Pink Floyd down as meandering boring drivvle; that track is seriously fierce!

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 09.19.2008, 09:09 AM   #30
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
White Noise - An Electric Storm, from 1969 I believe.

Has ambient, doom, drone, almost Lydia Lunch-ish no wavey type stuff, electronic, noise, and pretty much everything else you can think of on it.

Download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/3562355/...-_192.rar.html

It's a future "classics album" post of mine.

amazing album, ive always loved white noise

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 09:21 AM   #31
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Saucerful of Secret maybe, but More beats meddle in my eyes. I enjoy playing The Nile Song to friends who've got Pink Floyd down as meandering boring drivvle; that track is seriously fierce!

I love the Nile Song too! A great one to play on the guitar, as well. (I first heard it on the "Relics" comp LP years ago).

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth