Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Guitar Fixing
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.02.2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Disco Chops
empty page

Disco Chops has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDisco Chops has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
So i have a gibson and where the neck and head stock meet is cracked..and could possibly fall off it is dropped....

....would it be possible for me to bring this guitar into a shop so they could put an entire new neck on it for me?

Its a gibson so the neck isnt screwed in or anything its like..glued i guess, im not sure how they make it.
Disco Chops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 10:36 PM   #2
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I highly doubt that it's possible they could put on a new neck - no, that is impossible if it's glued on. My uncle has a few vintage Gibsons with cracks all over the place on the necks - it's almost a rite of passage in owning a Gibson and not being careful with it. I assume there are many experts that could glue it back solid like his were.

I have a Rickenbacker bass with a cracked neck when it fell off a bed. It's pretty solid after filling the crack with woodglue and clamping it for a while.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 11:31 PM   #3
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Take it to a luthier, they'll no what to do.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Spanks
little trouble girl

Spanks ain't too shabby
I am pretty sure you can replace the neck just take it to a music store theyll know what to do
Spanks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 04:56 PM   #5
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
Errr..... any "music store" won't do... would you take yr toyota for repairs to a chevy dealership? Better off bringing it to a music store familiar w. gibson products, they'll know what to do.
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 11:03 PM   #6
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I've never heard of just replacing a Gibson neck. They're glued into the body. Not that it isn't possible, but it's probably much simpler to repair the cracks.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth