Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page asp's classic albums # 92: john oswald - plexure
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.19.2011, 06:33 PM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
d/l: http://www.mediafire.com/?6elheeb59whp15c

This album has about 10,000 samples on it. You will hear half a second of a pop song, then half a song of a punk song, then half a second of GWAR, then half a song of rap, etc etc etc. What's interesting is how THOUGHTFULLY-produced this sounds; yeah yeah, certain sections just sound like a guy turning a radio dial to lots of really interesting stations, but other parts sound kinda COMPOSED, at least in the theory that "if I go from a really really slow ambient part into a bunch of fast speed metal and have about 500 completely unrelated death metal riffs played in a row -- THAT WOULD BE COOL!" I know Girl Talk used like 400 samples on his latest CD; imagine if Girl Talk had a better taste in music; used like 4,000 samples; and hit you over the head with said samples REALLY REALLY REALLY fast. This cd is only 20 minutes long, and it's really something anyone can do, but the execution is absolutely brilliant, and strangely addictive. It's like the entire history of recorded music is on one cd.

Basically, a landmark recording in the history of samples and "plunderphonics" (which is really superboring and silly as any kind of "genre" or meaningful statement -- but trust me, this album rocks) or whatever. Exhilarating as hell, honestly.

Fans of some Scissor Shock (sorry, but it's true -- I wouldn't know this album if it wasn't for someone comparing SS to this album), some Nurse with Wound, Gastric Female Reflex, and Brian Ruryk take note. While those artists use mostly non-samples to do this stuff (Ruryk only uses cut-up acoustic guitar stuff!), there's something so exhilerating about hearing .5 seconds of songs -- each with their own history, their own production, their own language, etc -- out of context and put next to yet another .5 second of a song with its own history (in writing, composition, structure, playing, "Chart success", etc; history means many things). HIGHLY ENJOYABLE.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I like Oswald, but rarely enough to actually listen to him. It's probably worth noting that this is one of the rare uploads that's fair game, as Oswald doesn't (as far as I know) have orthodox releases.

Plunderphonics irritates the hell out of me. Oswald is about the only one I can think of that's bearable for more than a minute or so. People like us, at a push.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2011, 06:48 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Right on. Plunderphonics never really interested me, as it seemed really really obvious and almost like, "So what?" Something about this release really exhilarates me, though, maybe because he has a better taste (putting GWAR next to Michael Jackson for example).

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's problematic because I think it was an interesting and novel approach to things (quite a long time ago now). It's the problem where the concept was always more interesting than the record itself. Like his Dolly Parton one or the massive collage of the Dead's Dark Star - brilliant ideas, but the recordings didn't measure up to the concept. Funnily enough, the only people I know who like Plunderphonics are either not really music fans (if you know what I mean) or visual artists. That's great, really, but... yeah, I'm happy enough with Cage's Williams mix and being sneeringly derisive like a prize cunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth