Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.17.2015, 01:47 AM   #1701
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Just saw I made a post a couple years ago where I admitted I didn't get half of Donuts, even though I loved J Dee. A lot has changed since then.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2015, 06:23 AM   #1702
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Whenever I think of my all time favorite artists like SY, RDJ, Kanye, Velvets, etc. J Dilla inevitably comes to mind. He's just one of the absolute most interesting musicians I've ever heard, end of story.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2015, 11:11 PM   #1703
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I hate to admit I never got much into Dilla's solo works but his production on mid-90's albums like Beats Rhymes & Life, Labcabincalifornia, Stakes Is High... that sound was my world back then. Brilliant.
Old 11.19.2015, 05:44 AM   #1704
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Whenever I think of my all time favorite artists like SY, RDJ, Kanye, Velvets, etc. J Dilla inevitably comes to mind. He's just one of the absolute most interesting musicians I've ever heard, end of story.
I can't blame you one bit for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I hate to admit I never got much into Dilla's solo works but his production on mid-90's albums like Beats Rhymes & Life, Labcabincalifornia, Stakes Is High... that sound was my world back then. Brilliant.
Learning he made Donuts on his deathbed with his MPC and a turntable made me appreciate the album so much more.
Old 11.20.2015, 04:14 AM   #1705
louder
invito al cielo

Just realized Freddie legit came up with a new sound this year. Apart from a couple of tracks where the Future influence is evident (which aren't even bad, by the way), Shadow of a Doubt really doesn't sound like anything else out there. Much respect for him. The mixing and mastering even sound better now that I'm hearing it in proper quality (NoiseRedux won for avoiding leaks ), and this album is still growing on me..
Old 11.21.2015, 01:54 AM   #1706
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
no man. really I don't. wasn't aimed at you dude.

hey, I listened to 808's and Heartbreaks yesterday. I love his weird albums like this and Yeezus, I just give him shit sometimes because frankly, I think he should just keep his mouth shut like a pop star should or just spout out ironies instead of self important contradictions. I still think the guy is a complete shallow asshole and it's just the right time for him to do it with social media and all of us becoming one and all with the internet and stuff, and nothing else really happening right now. his music is good but his talk is retarded to the utmost degree. ISIS is trying to hunt you down to wack off your spinal cord to yr brain and Kanye stumbles and embarrasses everyone but his only self and the kardashians let out a nasty buffalo fart and the nation breathes it in and suffocates in it. stunned by the sheer idiocy of it all and accepts it. which I thinks is a good thing because they're wearing their ideology down of being stupid cunts through overexposure which will lead to uncoolness among the young that the media is trying to imprint on our minds.

but I was trained at a young age to ignore pop stars like them and what they say. it doesn't matter but, why do people seem to think it does? it blows my mind? it's a roundabout internet shit cycle phase because it doesn't matter what Kanye or they say because no one is listening besides everyone. is our pop culture that boring now? or is everything at a stand still and on lockdown for nothing to peek through? if so, it doesn't allow a door to be open any time soon. where is all this going? it's not like a passing fad you can predict anymore. I'm sticking around to see what's next but I feel bored and indifferent in my feelings of the future. like the 2000's was me saying goodbye before the hurricane because hey!!!, we all knew and predicted it was heading to this anyway. so here I am now going blah to a revolution of the elite in control of everything to brainwash you my maodiufasdifansdfhasdfuhasldfhaodfhp adsfhaosdhfskaaaattscooooootttt.

Travis Scoot? yea he ok. I want censorship and disagreements, everything at odds state of music.. don't want oneness. that's for religions. a building pop culture religion oneness of accepting everything as cool is what's happening and that's no goddamn fun!!!

Hahaha!

Yeah, honestly I think very few musicians have ever had anything truly important or worthwhile to say about the state of the world.

Dylan, of course. Neil Young, though Neil's political views tend to be pretty formulaic knee jerk liberal tirades. I agree with most of what he says, but I see him as a the kind of radical who wouldn't change his opinions, or even entertain changing them, for any reason. And that's not how I operate. There is no absolute right or wrong.

Even Lennon gets on my nerves when I read his political ramblings.

I don't care what Kanye's doing this Saturday. I don't care about his wife. I don't care about his clothing. And I don't care if he makes an ass of himself. All I care about is that his music never disappoints me. It's always right on the mark.

So basically, fuck Tom Morello and his stupid machine. Guy's a wank.

I just like music. Kurt Cobain was a walking contradiction too. But boy could he scream.
Old 11.21.2015, 02:57 PM   #1707
louder
invito al cielo

Kanye isn't a bad person, just misunderstood.
Old 11.21.2015, 07:31 PM   #1708
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Kanye isn't a bad person, just misunderstood.

No of course he's not a bad person. Or maybe he is deep down. I don't know. All I know is that his music and lyrics have a bigger impact on me than just about anyone else's out there.

John Lennon was kind of a shitty person for most of his life I think. Maybe not bad, just not quite good. Still, I love Lennon.

The point is: I'm a music fan, not a moral authority for celebrities.
Old 11.25.2015, 02:05 PM   #1709
Severian
invito al cielo

Has anyone bothered to listen to Jeezy's new album Church in the Streets?

I didn't even know the fucker was coming out! I'd heard nothing until I saw it on the shelves.

Why is Jeezy's already releasing a new album? His last one bombed, critically at least. You'd think he'd take a break and re-evaluate.
Old 11.25.2015, 02:12 PM   #1710
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think I've heard a new album of any genre in a few months. I don't know. I spent most of the year listening to new hip hop and jazz releases. And then recently fizzled and have just sort of been listening to a lot of old stuff. Just making playlists of old 90's songs or something. I think my brain got too overwhelmed w/ new music and I needed an ear sorbet.
Old 11.25.2015, 02:31 PM   #1711
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I saw some talking head on TV say that "TRAP" was some for of EDM from Canada?

I thought it was crack-game rap?

so confused in new millenium.
Old 11.25.2015, 02:59 PM   #1712
noisereductions
invito al cielo

wiki sez:

Quote:
Trap music is a music genre that originated in the early 1990s in the Southern United States.[1][2] It is typified by its aggressive lyrical content and sound, where the instrumentals are propelled by 808 kick drums or heavy extended sub-bass lines, double-time, triple-time and other faster time division hi-hats,[3] layered synthesizers, and "cinematic" strings.[4][5]
Old 11.27.2015, 11:23 AM   #1713
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Has anyone bothered to listen to Jeezy's new album Church in the Streets?

I didn't even know the fucker was coming out! I'd heard nothing until I saw it on the shelves.

Why is Jeezy's already releasing a new album? His last one bombed, critically at least. You'd think he'd take a break and re-evaluate.
I'm not interested in Jeezy anymore, nor Wayne who just released No Ceilings 2 (yikes, why you gotta ruin every classic with a shitty sequel, Wayne).

Erykah Badu's new tape is nice though. The last song features none less than fucking Andre 3000 and it's amazing, easily the best song on it.
Old 11.27.2015, 11:24 AM   #1714
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I saw some talking head on TV say that "TRAP" was some for of EDM from Canada?

I thought it was crack-game rap?

so confused in new millenium.
There's a subgenre of EDM called "trap", it's a different subgenre than the hip-hop one, but both use the same name. Dumb stuff.
Old 11.27.2015, 11:30 AM   #1715
louder
invito al cielo

I revisited a bunch of classics over the last couple of days:

Illmatic - What can I say? Still a god tier hip-hop album, perfect for the winter. Memory Lane is my favorite song, with It Ain't Hard To Tell being a close 2nd (that fucking "Human Nature" sample never gets old!).

Late Registration - Just remembered how incredible this album was, you can really tell Kanye poured his heart and soul into every detail on this album and the result was pure fire, and it's not even his best. Goddamn.

The Love Below - It's mindblowing to think Andre produced this entire album himself, with "Roses" being the only exception. This album shows Andre's weirdness and musicality more than every OutKast project. I love the funky, jazzy production here so much. Andre is just super talented and amazing at everything he does. If he doesn't want to be a middle aged rapper, he should just drop another R&B album! Everyone would love it.
Old 11.27.2015, 11:35 AM   #1716
louder
invito al cielo

Amazing interview with Terrace Martin about To Pimp a Butterfly: http://www.complex.com/music/2015/11...rfly-interview

Talks about how Black Messiah influenced the album and more.

"We didn’t do that album for popular culture. We did that album for people who have no way out. We did that album for people who can’t even afford to go to the shows. We did an album for people who need hope. You don’t prostitute that."

Wow.
Old 11.27.2015, 11:36 AM   #1717
louder
invito al cielo

Another super interesting interview with Terrace: http://www.okayplayer.com/news/terra...clusive.html/2

Quote:
OKP: The connection between To Pimp A Butterfly and Black Messiah is not intentional, but is very impressive. Can you speak about how these two records are tied to one another? Also, which songs from D’Angelo’s album astonished you to produce what you created with Kendrick?

TM: When people ask about what songs inspired what, I could honestly go down the list. But, more so than the songs, I feel like the album was more than a few colors to me. I pulled from the record pure life. I didn’t pull from just the harmonic aspect, I also pulled from the chord structure. So, to me, mentioning the song would be irrelevant. To me, for To Pimp A Butterfly, I saw hues of blue, I saw shades of brown and I definitely felt black. You understand what I’m saying? On the real, To Pimp A Butterfly was powered by certain colors that inspired me to create certain things on the record.

So TPAB and Black Messiah have similar colors, huh? I can actually see it!
Old 11.27.2015, 12:30 PM   #1718
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I revisited a bunch of classics over the last couple of days:

Illmatic - What can I say? Still a god tier hip-hop album, perfect for the winter. Memory Lane is my favorite song, with It Ain't Hard To Tell being a close 2nd (that fucking "Human Nature" sample never gets old!).

Late Registration - Just remembered how incredible this album was, you can really tell Kanye poured his heart and soul into every detail on this album and the result was pure fire, and it's not even his best. Goddamn.

The Love Below - It's mindblowing to think Andre produced this entire album himself, with "Roses" being the only exception. This album shows Andre's weirdness and musicality more than every OutKast project. I love the funky, jazzy production here so much. Andre is just super talented and amazing at everything he does. If he doesn't want to be a middle aged rapper, he should just drop another R&B album! Everyone would love it.

Re: Late Registration - Yup!
Old 11.27.2015, 06:16 PM   #1719
Severian
invito al cielo

Late Reg. is a great album for fall & winter.

Illmatic is up there with 36 Chambers and Midnight Marauders when it comes to early '90s NYC must haves, and I love it to death. But I never have and never will share the fairly common belief that it's the best hip-hop album of all time. Still, no denying its power. It sounds as fresh and as perfect now as it did then.

I wish Nas had more albums that hit the mark the way Illmatic did. I kinda think about half of his discography just kinda blows.
Old 11.27.2015, 09:08 PM   #1720
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I think it aint hard to tell is maybe the most perfect hip hop song ever recorded?

New wayne tape? Im not even interested
76838485 86 878889 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth