Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Twenty Greatest Albums Ever According To Sonic Youth Gossip
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.06.2008, 08:40 AM   #161
Destroyed
bad moon rising

Destroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips
i completely disagree with this.

anyway, also surprised at no Minutemen or Husker Du in there, but again...it's a pretty good list in my opinion. Plenty of others could've been in there, sure, but it's what you'd expect from a SY forum.
I think she was being ironic.
Destroyed is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 08:42 AM   #162
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HECKLER SPRAY
Why ?
I don't see the interest, this vote doesn't bring in anything. No money, popularity, sex....

We should restart it.

Could you make a more developed answer for the next time ? Please.

I voted my top 5 greatest albums ever. I think most did. if someone did not then that is their facetious ass' problem.
Old 08.06.2008, 08:48 AM   #163
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
On another note, I always wonder how much these kind of lists are influenced by current events... I mean stuff like Daydream Nation and Velvet Underground seem to be pretty standard choices on this board, but I suspect Loveless wouldn't be at no. 2 if it weren't for the whole MBV reunion currently going on...

that's a load of shit. people, including myself fucking LOVE loveless. nothing else sounds like it in the rock world,not really. the reunion is meaningless when it comes to the love people have for this album.
Old 08.06.2008, 08:50 AM   #164
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
I trust you, Rob, but it seems that a lot of people did not. They voted in comparison with other people's musical tastes.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 08:51 AM   #165
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
You don't see anyflaws in Loveless? Bad production, tinny drum sound, boring and predictable songs, and an especially weak second half. There's like 5 really good songs on the whole thing! I have had it for.. lemme think... this is the 6th year I've owned the CD, and I really don't see the big deal with it at all.

But, y'know, to each their own!

To go back to what someone said about the top 20 being a safe and predictable list... I dunno, I just think most of those records aren't very interesting. The Birthday Party and Captain Beefheart are probably the best bands in that top 20. I dunno. Just weird.

yr ruidiculous! bad production on loveless? do you not understand that every single wash and skronk and feedback moment and dub and layer was PRODUCED specifically to sound as it does? that record may be the best produced record ever!!! how are you defining production? making it sound squeaaky clean like def leppard? making it sound live like shellac? or making it sound as altered and insane and gauzy and cryptivc as possible through production techniques a la MBV and loveless??? shit man.
Old 08.06.2008, 08:52 AM   #166
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Some people did vote for what they thought had a chance to win rather than what they really thought should, which is a shame. They were definitely in the minority though and certainly not enough to sway the overall complexion of the list, especially once it reached say the top 15.

I'm still surprised by the lack of votes for Psychocandy which I would've thought would be a shoe in for the top ten at least.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 08:53 AM   #167
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
i'll admit the list is a little boring. none of the albums aren't great or anything its just, dare i say predictable. although i am surprised at the birthday party selection. i voted for trout mask! that was my one selection that made on. still a cool survey. thanks demonrail
\

it always strikes me as hilarious the eletist snob attitudes everyone here gets. if you showed this list to a standard rocker, otr even a regular indie rocker, they woudl not know half the albums. I think it is a great list of very essential albums!!!!!
Old 08.06.2008, 08:54 AM   #168
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
Hahaha. I dunno. I always see so much Minutemen fellatio on here. I'm really at a loss for words.

Anyway, here was my top five:

1. Tangerine Dream - Zeit
2. Neil Young - On the Beach
3. Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
4. Can - Future Days
5. Miles Davis - In a Silent Way

Don't think anyone else voted for my #1, thought #3 was a definite, two and four were maybes, and I'm not sure how much love Miles gets on here.

miles gets mad love here, but this was to be a ROCK list no?
Old 08.06.2008, 08:55 AM   #169
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Oh okay, well, in that case, every album is perfect then! Because if every band does what they intend to do, no matter how good or bad we percieve it as, it's a perfect album as long as they accomplish their goal!

THAT IS IT EXACTLY! each album judged as a work of art in and of itself! too bad yr so young or you would know how it is to love aN ALBUM and not just songs you get from a fileserver man!
Old 08.06.2008, 08:56 AM   #170
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

and you are CRAZY ridiculous foolish for even thinkin that loveless, or MBV was about DRUMS> it was a guitar album. GUITAR. fuck the drums on loveless. they do what is needed. the GUITAR man!! rock n rolllllllll
Old 08.06.2008, 08:56 AM   #171
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The Minutemen album actually got quite a few votes but they were all quite lowly ranked, which meant that it wasn't able to compete with albums (like Space Ritual) which got less votes overall but was ranked considerably higher when it was.
Old 08.06.2008, 08:58 AM   #172
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Some people did vote for what they thought had a chance to win rather than what they really thought should, which is a shame. They were definitely in the minority though and certainly not enough to sway the overall complexion of the list, especially once it reached say the top 15.

I'm still surprised by the lack of votes for Psychocandy which I would've thought would be a shoe in for the top ten at least.

well, that is good to know. psychocandy did not get in because this was not a poll taken at a goddamn middleschool dance circa 1990 man!!!!! fuck the jesus and mary chain!!!!!
Old 08.06.2008, 08:59 AM   #173
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
well, that is good to know. psychocandy did not get in because this was not a poll taken at a goddamn middleschool dance circa 1990 man!!!!! fuck the jesus and mary chain!!!!!

Hahaha. Yes. Although can we honestly say that Sonic Nurse is a better album?
Old 08.06.2008, 09:05 AM   #174
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

nope. but we can honestly say that a lot of under 18 peeps voted and likely have never heard psychocandy!

I love sonic nurse, but it is a surprise. I woudl not put it onmmy top ten sonic albums
Old 08.06.2008, 09:08 AM   #175
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Well sure, but I can't imagine many people here haven't heard Psychocandy, regardless of their age. they voted for the Velvets after all, and they were around in the what, 1800s or something.
Old 08.06.2008, 09:12 AM   #176
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

ahh bu the velvets get a lotta cock lick around here. even though half their songs are boring hippie shit.
Old 08.06.2008, 09:23 AM   #177
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I traded in my cd copy of Psychocandy yesterday.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 09:26 AM   #178
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I don't actually own it anymore. I can safely say though, that it's one of those I never really need to hear anymore. It's sort of scarred into my DNA now to the point where I can just imagine it back in its entirety, and in sequence.
Old 08.06.2008, 12:39 PM   #179
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
What the hell are you talking about Rob? Of course, Loveless was a guitar album. But, hey, Loveliescrushing do albums of nothing but guitar and they sound a hell of a lot better than MBV -- so why don't people vote for them? There's a good reason why MBV decided that the drums should be there -- and they sound like shit. Even a hardcore devotee of Loveless can't say the drums on that thing sound good. It's not a big hangup for me, it just amuses me that a band so hung up on sonic possibilities and exploration would make such a tinny drum robot.

Also, every album is not great; you can make any argument you want to support an album as a work of art, sure, and I guess if you judge everything as such then yeah, every album is PERFECT! But, unfortunately, I don't dare think that anyone on this board is open minded enough to enjoy everything. At least I can say that even a band I hate, a song I hate, an album I hate that I've listened to.... I can say something good about it. Not sure how that makes me narrow minded.

Also, I own well over 400 albums (though I've owned more that I've sold at different points in my life). Not a huge amount, but uh, I don't just "get stuff off da file serva".

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 12:56 PM   #180
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

testy testy!

what you are saying about Loveless is a PERSONAL TASTE OPINION and is not a definite treatise on the "sorry" drum sounds in loveless man! get over it! that album is perfect from start to finish I only wish there were 24 inch vinyls so I could play the whole fucker at top volume straight through without flippin the record. fuck CD's!

MBV were hung on on GUITAR'S SONIC exploration, guitars guitars guitars. get it? drums are a mere afterthought!!!!!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth