Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Davenport / James Blackshaw cdr
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.15.2007, 07:36 AM   #1
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Split Cdr, released in March 2005 in an edition of 100 copies on Static. The Blackshaw tracks were recorded on home 4-track in 2004.

Davenport are a fiercely independent improvising collective from Wisconsin. Clay Ruby and Tony Endless are the only constant members. The sound is crafted from discarded and/or cheap electronics, field recordings and acoustic instruments and encompasses ecstatic folk, howling vocals, pure noise, percussion and drones.
They are incredibly prolific and I have no idea how many recordings they have actually released.
The music in uncompromising. They follow whatever path the sound lays and it ranges from meditative and musical to confrontational bursts of noise.
Inevitably, they don’t always end up somewhere rewarding for the listener. This isn’t really the point. They are documenting moments in their history and allowing us to listen as they evolve.
Their output is incredibly diverse and most of it is unavailable, but their recordings are definitely worth tracking down.

The pieces here are hypnotic earthy explorations where tension builds slowly and sounds collapse on themselves. Beautiful.

James Blackshaw’s recordings are in a different mood than on his other releases and he moves away from longer raga inspired playing and seems to focus on his guitar as pure sound. Inspired by Arabic forms and tunings combined with traditional British folk, these pieces are Blackshaw as an improviser. He incorporates other instruments and sounds, and here they have as much weight as the 12 string.

Davenport/James Blackshaw

http://grown-so-ugly.blogspot.com/

I'd check the whole blog for other Blackshaw gems if i was you.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 07:52 AM   #2
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
On the same blog i've found this:

Some Early John Fahey
http://grown-so-ugly.blogspot.com/20...st-extant.html

The earliest extant recordings of John Fahey were made for the Fonotone label in 1958. There were earlier tapes made in 1957, but these remain lost.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 03:32 AM   #3
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
cool, i've been wanting to hear their stuff
Old 02.16.2007, 03:34 AM   #4
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
James Blackshaw rules, altough this CDR is not really my favourite.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth