Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Empty Page: Fiction Inspired by the Songs of Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.26.2007, 01:32 PM   #41
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://dogmatika.com/dm/features_mor...d=3087_0_5_0_M

"I'm currently in the midst of putting the finishing touches to the Sonic Youth book, which is due for publication next April. The publishers asked me to re-jig it a bit in the light of PBL, so I had to ditch about a half a dozen writers and commission four or five others and I'm reordering things and tinkering. It's shaping up now. There's talk of a London launch and a Laugharne launch with writers and possibly band members… All of which should be cool!"
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2007, 01:40 PM   #42
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
wow, a story inspired by Shadow of a Doubt... hope it's as fucked up as the song is

I bet it will be about two strangers on a train and it'll be called STRANGERS ON A TRAIN.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2008, 08:12 AM   #43
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
http://dogmatika.com/dm/features_mor...d=3087_0_5_0_M

"I'm currently in the midst of putting the finishing touches to the Sonic Youth book, which is due for publication next April. The publishers asked me to re-jig it a bit in the light of PBL, so I had to ditch about a half a dozen writers and commission four or five others and I'm reordering things and tinkering. It's shaping up now. There's talk of a London launch and a Laugharne launch with writers and possibly band members… All of which should be cool!"
Why Laugharne. Am I missing something obvious here?
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2008, 04:21 AM   #44
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Here's the Amazon UK page including the following Product Description:

Book Description
A ghost makes a friend. Ulla Shooks is testifying, ladies and gentlemen, countering the wicked with the godly. The powers-that-be are trying to kick in Nikki's door as she, like, struggles against the shackles of conformity? Melissa gets high and dreams of an oblivion that won't make the E! Channel news. Patty Hearst is watching the apocalypse on TV. All this and more is waiting for you in The Empty Page: Fiction inspired by Sonic Youth. But why Sonic Youth? J Robert Lennon says it's cos Sonic Youth rip it apart. Katherine Dunn says it's because they operate in the foggy world between the real and the surreal. Steve Sherrill reckons that they've just got it figured out, man. You know? Mary Gaitskill says that Sonic Youth caught her, years ago, when she was falling. Catherine O'Flynn just wanted to catch some of the nihilistic, elemental, caustic, isolated flavour of their music. Emily Maguire was once in love with chaos. For Tom McCarthy it's gunpowder and dreams of a black panther.

Synopsis
Decapitated hands, marrow-coloured goo, serial killing Dr Zhivago fanatics and double-sided dildos make their mark on "The Empty Page: Fiction" inspired by Sonic Youth. Reddy K is chasing up fresh spiral from the big tube...Ulla Shooks is testifying, countering the wicked with the godly, Michael Chambers is enjoying an empty restaurant for what may be the last time, and Sue Carlyle is buying a penis. And that's just the tip of an ugly and decidedly surreal iceberg.

About the Author
Peter Wild comes from a publishing and music journalism background. He is editing a series of collections of fiction based on the songs of rock and pop bands, which will be published by Serpent's Tail.His writing and fiction have appeared in The Big Issue, Nude magazine, Alt Sounds, City Life, 3AM magazine.

Sounds cool to me, especially if Paul Di Filippo made the final cut!

Edit: Looks like he didn't from Peter Wild's own webpage:

Featuring contributions from Eileen Myles, Emily Maguire, Steven Sherrill, Rebecca Godfrey, J Robert Lennon, Laird Hunt, Samuel Ligon, Shelley Jackson, Matt Thorne, Katherine Dunn, Kevin Sampsell, Mary Gaitskill, Scott Mebus, Emily Carter Roiphe, Hiag Akmakjian, Jess Walter, Tom McCarthy, Stewart Lee, Rachel Trezise, Catherine O'Flynn, Peter Wild & Christopher Coake.

And further searching shows that Jess Walter's story was indeed "Rain on Tin". Plus he had a couple amusing things to say about the series concept.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2008, 02:31 PM   #45
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
www.serpentstail.com/book?id=10839

This i think is the publisher's info on the book + release date, is that free p+p worldwide i see in the right hand corner!?....
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2008, 12:40 AM   #46
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
May 29th is the confirmed release date.
In the same week Thurston's No Wave book and the SY biography will be published too.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2010, 02:11 AM   #47
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Did anyone ever check this book out? I was gonna buy it if it's any good. It's mad cheap on amazon.
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth