Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page reassessing washing machine
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.05.2008, 10:34 PM   #61
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Actually I tend to agree with you. If there's an SY song I don't like, I just assume that I don't "get" it.
Old 01.06.2008, 09:16 AM   #62
JohnEsmoke
little trouble girl

JohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's asses
I agreed with you, there were no bad sonic song until I listen to that boring "wildflower soul"
JohnEsmoke is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2008, 10:40 AM   #63
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Track down the live version of WildFlower Soul from the Tibetan Freedom Concert in 97

Its much better than the studio version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEsmoke
I agreed with you, there were no bad sonic song until I listen to that boring "wildflower soul"
RanaldoNecro is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2008, 04:17 PM   #64
JohnEsmoke
little trouble girl

JohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's asses
yes, there are some good instrumental versions too. But for me this song is the first of a serie of long and annoying Thurston's pop song... (empty page, peace attack ...)
JohnEsmoke is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 08:46 AM   #65
sarramkrop

I was never aware that Junkie's Promise was so disliked until I read this thread. I think it's a great song.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2008, 07:40 PM   #66
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I'm listening to it now. I'm up to Saucer-like. I'm enjoying it.

Edited: Onto Washing Machine now. I don't understand the dislike for it, especially the vocals. I'm someone who believes if anything can downgrade Sonic Youth, it's the vocals in certain songs. Sometimes Kim and Thurston sound like they're half asleep - like there's no emotion. I don't care if vocals are out of pitch (well, kinda) or the lyrics are shitty, aslong as it's honest and has energy. That's really important to me. And so far, Washing Machine has energy.
Old 01.08.2008, 12:43 AM   #67
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Washing machine is my one of top 3 favourite albums of all time....

They defin ripped Becuz from Bruce Springsteen & Patti Smith. Also, a birdie told me that Panty Lines is a lift from Yoko Ono's No No No

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Thin-I...ref=m_art_li_3
Old 02.15.2009, 04:19 PM   #68
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
heh, just found this while using the search thing for something else

I love this album so much. Like someone said, it's like a fuck you to trying to be mainstream, its them melting back into sonic goodness. the title track is my favourite piece of music ever, the contrast between the 2 halves and the way it melts into itself. fucking amazingly lovely.

even the songs is used to dislike i've grown to love.
Junkie is pretty dull untill it begins to sprawl out toward the end.
No Queen Blues used to really irritate me, but the windly guitar line now hypnotises me
PantieLines just seems to groove nicely. It has a cool atmosphere to it

and becuz is fantastic, sinister and beautiful
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2009, 04:57 PM   #69
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Washing Machine has always been a bit of an anomaly for me. I don't know exactly why I've chosen to put it that way-maybe just to sound cool and intellectual...

But seriously, while I can enjoy pretty much any other SY album anytime, I have to be in a certain mood to listen to Washing Machine. That's not to I say I don't like it; indeed, I love some of the individual tracks (Becuz, Junkie's Promise, Washing Machine, yes-Panty Lies, and of course The Diamond Sea), but I can't take it as a whole unless I really want to hear this album. It's hard to explain.

Maybe it's the one-two anti-punch of Unwind and Little Trouble Girl; I never thought it's a good idea to follow a soft song with an even softer one. Total momentum killer there.

Of SY's 2 mid-90s "return to form" albums (the other being Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star), I have to say I prefer EJSTNS.

Something I don't understand, though, is why Junkie Promise and Panty Lies keep appearing in "Worst SY Song" polls...come on, guys! Junkie's Promise-Black Sabbath-esque sludge that later takes off into noise-punk destruction? How fucking cool is that? And if you ask me, the noises in the last part of Panty Lies are the some of the coolest sounds ever to appear on an SY album. I can overlook Kim's "Martian scatting" vocals.
Old 02.15.2009, 05:15 PM   #70
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
anybody got a quarter?
Old 02.15.2009, 05:21 PM   #71
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
okay...

1. Becuz - 5/5 - Great opener. The guitar just kind of, draws me into the song, I guess you could say. And I like Kim's vocals on it too, her best on this album.

2. Junkie's Promise - 3/5 - This song is good for the first couple minutes, then I get bored with it.

3. Saucer-Like - 2.5/5 - It's alright, bad for a Lee song.

4. Washing Machine - 3/5 - Cool song, vocals aren't very good though.

5. Unwind - 5/5 - I love this song, great music, and vocals!

6. Little Trouble Girl - 2/5 - Um, not a fan, it' okay though, I'll listen to it once in a while. I'm not sure how this was a single.

7. No Queen Blues - 5/5 - Another great one. I love it, the intro is really cool.

8. Panty Lies - 0/5 - The worst song on this album. The only one I never listen to. Music and vocals suck.

9. Untitled - 4/5 - Really cool. I love the becuz riff throughout it. I'm pretty sure this was originally a part of Becuz, but they made it different because of the prducers or something.

10. Skip Tracer - 4/5 - Really cool. I love the guitar.

11. Diamond Sea - 5/5 - Awesome way to end it.

The album is okay all together, I give it a, 3.5/5
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2009, 03:56 AM   #72
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe11121
okay...

9. Untitled - 4/5 - Really cool. I love the becuz riff throughout it. I'm pretty sure this was originally a part of Becuz, but they made it different because of the prducers or something.

i think geffen thought it was too long for an opening track, so they split it. stupid geffen.
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2009, 05:15 AM   #73
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I think it's alright. I haven't listened to it in ages. I love the title track, and Saucer-Like and Skip Tracer are also great. But I think that the rest of it (especially Diamond Sea) is overrated.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2009, 06:18 AM   #74
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
best album ever by any band.
My favourite album of all time.
I own this on wax, tape and CD.
Old 02.16.2009, 08:27 AM   #75
Malcolm81
little trouble girl

Malcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm still astonished - I never thought anyone could find defects in this masterpiece. It's perfect, I love every single note, every noise, every whisper on it. I even love the cover! If Sonic Youth went back to this sound, I'd be the happiest fan. Murray Street is the only album they've made since then that comes close to this beauty (and both are definitely in my top 3 SY albums).
Malcolm81 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2009, 08:33 AM   #76
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth has bad songs. EVERY BAND has bad songs.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2009, 08:37 AM   #77
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, Sonic Youth have been my favourite band since I was 12 and I can safely say that they have a number of bad songs.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2009, 09:50 AM   #78
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
Definitely one of my top-three favorite SY albums. Untitled and Diamond Sea are two I always come back to.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2009, 01:39 PM   #79
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
I love Panty Lies. INSIDE! OUTSIDE! INSIDE! OUTSIDE! SHOOBA.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2009, 02:05 PM   #80
amire80
empty page

amire80 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I'll love this album forever. It was my first Sonic Youth encounter.

Same for me!

I heard Silver Rocket, 100% and Teen Age Riot on MTV before that, but Washing Machine was the first SY album i actually bought and heard.

It is excellent.

Becuz has excellent riffs and fx. Junkie's Promise is what 100% was supposed to be, but far better. Saucer is one of Lee's best songs.

The title track - i used to hate it initially, but then it grew on me. The frirst part is to "Orange Rolls" what "Junkie's" is to "100%" - similar, but better. The final part is a good prequel to SY's later era - 1000 Leaves and Murray St, and that's a good thing.

Unwind has a beautiful melody. It develops simply and expectedly, but powerfully. Trouble Girl is OK, but would be much better off as a b-side. No Queen and Panty are less amazing than the rest of the album, but grew on me, too. They would fit perfectly on EJST&N*, though.

From here on it's pure bliss: #9 is a powerful reprise of Becuz, Skip Tracer is a yet another excellent Lee song - and Lee never stops to surprise, and so much has been said about The Diamond Sea that i need not add.
amire80 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth