Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Guillemots Take Sonic Youth Back to Mine
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.24.2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Guillemots Take Bjork, Sonic Youth, Liars Back to Mine

Guillemots get away with making soft, sweeping pop with lasting appeal, due in no small part to the subtle textures and myriad influences they weave therein. All that stuff-- the Guillemots difference, if you will-- is prominently displayed on the band's entry in the Back to Mine mix CD series, seen here branching out from electronic compilers into rockier territory.

The Back to Mine mixes, designed as "a personal collection for after hours grooving," have recently seen the likes of Mercury Rev, Röyksopp, and Bugz in the Attic stringing together their faves. The Guillemots comp bops back and forth from Daniel Johnston to Raphael Saadiq, Sonic Youth to Amon Tobin, and ought to offer a little more in the way of surprise than some other comps we've been hearing about. The thing drops at an indeterminate date in October from DMC.

Two lonesome Guillemots tour dates follow the tracklist, which follows the jump.

Back to Mine:

01 Sonic Youth: "Providence"
02 Roots Manuva: "Witness (One Hope)"
03 Four Tet: "A Joy"
04 Joan as Police Woman: "The Ride"
05 Esther Phillips: "And I Love Him"
06 Daniel Johnston: "Speeding Motorcycle"
07 Kenickie: "I Would Fix You"
08 Tartit: "Eha Ehenia"
09 Björk: "All Neon Like"
10 Amon Tobin: "Reanimator"
11 Charles Mingus: "Tensions"