Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Album Remasters?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.28.2009, 07:52 AM   #1
sonic_pensioner
empty page

sonic_pensioner has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hey, I'm a newbie here, albeit not a newbie in SY world having begun my relationship with the original vinyl release of Bad Moon Rising and gigs back in London in the mid-80's. I'm currently filling gaps in my CD collection and badly want copies of Sister and Evol but I'm wondering if there are plans afoot for these (or any other) albums to be relased in the near future in deluxe editions (like Daydream Nation) or remastered versions? I'm sure you people know all about it but any info would be great....
sonic_pensioner is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2009, 08:39 AM   #2
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_pensioner
Hey, I'm a newbie here, albeit not a newbie in SY world having begun my relationship with the original vinyl release of Bad Moon Rising and gigs back in London in the mid-80's. I'm currently filling gaps in my CD collection and badly want copies of Sister and Evol but I'm wondering if there are plans afoot for these (or any other) albums to be relased in the near future in deluxe editions (like Daydream Nation) or remastered versions? I'm sure you people know all about it but any info would be great....

There has not been any word from SY or their management on such a release, it would be cool to have those albums remastered more so to see what bonus material may come up. Though its been told that the Master Tapes for Sister were recorded over for the recording sessions of Experimental Jet Set... which would make a 'remaster from the "original" master tapes impossible' though that may not necessary mean some sort of tapes still exist...

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2009, 08:59 AM   #3
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
Though its been told that the Master Tapes for Sister were recorded over for the recording sessions of Experimental Jet Set... which would make a 'remaster from the "original" master tapes impossible' though that may not necessary mean some sort of tapes still exist...

thought that issue was "solved" with comment of Lee in one of the threads concerning this issue, that they still have a master tape. now I'm not sure again and might be wrong.

speaking of reissues and remasters, maybe we should ask Moshe.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2009, 10:20 AM   #4
rossboss
little trouble girl

rossboss has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Think it was Steve, Greenlight... He basically said they just played Sister through a walkman into one of the mixing desk tracks, so masters should still be in the vaults somewhere....Remasters would rock!
rossboss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2009, 11:18 AM   #5
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Welcome Aboard!

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2009, 11:32 AM   #6
sonic_pensioner
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
Welcome Aboard!
Howdy and thanks, and thanks to everyone who has replied. Sounds like I shouldn't hold my breath for these just yet. Perhaps I'll stick with the vinyl for the older albums for the time being....
Old 09.28.2009, 12:13 PM   #7
mysonichaircut
children of satan

mysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's asses
hope they wont remaster them, they sound perfect now. bonus material would be great.
mysonichaircut is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2009, 12:29 PM   #8
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Hopefully they rerelease them... they're incredibly expensive on vinyl from what I've found.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2009, 12:29 PM   #9
acdc518
bad moon rising

acdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's asses
you can get the current cd issues of evol and sister for like $5 each if you check ebay or the amazon marketplace. both would be a good investment to hold you over until if/when they release deluxe editions

also, the old geffen cd of DDN sounds alot better than the remastered version in the deluxe edition IMO
acdc518 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I agree, the remastered DDN separates the guitars too much for my liking.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2009, 01:26 PM   #11
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
I'm cool with more bonus material, but everything that's been remastered so far is terribly loud. Dirty in particular is painful to listen to. I'd just stick to the originals.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I think remastered Goo sounds fairly solid, but I agree Dirty is too loud, and DDN suffers from similar problems.

~Jeremy~

Old 09.28.2009, 08:03 PM   #13
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
true. but Dirty came up with best bonus stuff compare to the other reissues. i mean it was full disc of previously unheard (is this correct word in english?) stuff. songs of Dirty in its rehearsal form. fantastic. the other reissues and its extras had to me more or less known stuff. not saying it's bad, but I was blown away with Dirty reissue. I'd love to hear more of previously not released stuff and something from early albums would be deadly!

oh yeah and welcome (of course)!

Old 09.29.2009, 04:04 AM   #14
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
I think both EVOL and Sister badly need a remaster to be honest. It's not about 'changing' the music; it's more taking a DVD and changing it for Blu Ray: everything is clearer and more enjoyable.

Some albums simply don't need the remaster, but those two sound very dense and murky. I think Steve's drumming would benefit the most from it. It's way too buried.

I really love the DDN remaster. I think it sounds better than the original, and it's my 2nd favourite record of all-time, so I wouldn't say that lightly.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2009, 06:16 AM   #15
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykitten
I think both EVOL and Sister badly need a remaster to be honest. It's not about 'changing' the music; it's more taking a DVD and changing it for Blu Ray: everything is clearer and more enjoyable.

Some albums simply don't need the remaster, but those two sound very dense and murky. I think Steve's drumming would benefit the most from it. It's way too buried.

While I would be interested to hear remastered versions, I would be very annoyed if they lifted any of the density or murkiness from those two, especially EVOL. That sonic (no pun intended) character is just what makes that album so amazing. The whole atmosphere of things just being a bit off and cloudy is one of the main reasons that EVOL is my joint favourite Youth album.

With Sister the same is true to a certain extent, but due to the more full on "rock" nature of the album, I suppose I can see the appeal of a louder/cleaner mix, but really if it lifted that murky atmosphere it would do again do more damage than good for me. I can see how a remaster for both would be good, but in all likelyhood the remasters we would actually get, judging by Geffen's taste in the past, would be... not good.

As to the drums thing, I really don't know what people always seem to have against them on those two album. They sound amazing! Tom Violence, Expressway, especially Shizophrenia, and basically all of the tracks on those albums have some of my hands down favourite drum sounds ever!

Or just separate all the guitars, bump the volume and flatten the whole thing out. Whatever. I have the originals if they do make sucky remasters.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2009, 06:40 AM   #16
sonic_pensioner
empty page

Many thanks for so much feedback (pun intended); the main reason I've held off on the CD issues of EVOL and Sister was a possibly unfounded concern as to how well the original mastering was done given the age of the recordings but it seems for most people that it was a job well done. I may have to take the plunge after all. And yes, the vinyl IS expensive but still worth it...
Old 09.29.2009, 07:32 AM   #17
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
i know what people mean about the feel or the sound of the albums being part of the appeal, but they are very muddy and that can be annoying at times (putting them on a mix cd, mix tape or even *gulp* playlist)

i think a better solution would be for the band to re-record the albums from scratch
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2009, 10:28 AM   #18
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
I'm all for EVOL / Sister re-mastering.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2009, 01:16 PM   #19
Jeremy
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
true. but Dirty came up with best bonus stuff compare to the other reissues. i mean it was full disc of previously unheard (is this correct word in english?) stuff. songs of Dirty in its rehearsal form. fantastic. the other reissues and its extras had to me more or less known stuff. not saying it's bad, but I was blown away with Dirty reissue. I'd love to hear more of previously not released stuff and something from early albums would be deadly!

oh yeah and welcome (of course)!

I really like the Goo demos, because we hear the songs in early SY form and then how they evolved into the more "radio friendly" songs on Goo. It's a really cool difference to hear.

Better than Dirty's bonus stuff? Debatable.

~Jeremy~

Old 09.29.2009, 02:39 PM   #20
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
because we hear the songs in early SY form and then how they evolved

hmmm, is not what Dirty bonus material is about? that's exactly the reason why I love Dirty reissue most among the rest. hahaha, nice.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth