Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page green day appreciation thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.13.2009, 07:12 AM   #41
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I don't think people are into bad music; I think they just haven't heard good music.

no, lots of people just like shitty music and can't tell the difference.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 01:43 PM   #42
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I don't think people are into bad music; I think they just haven't heard good music.

I think this is an exceptionally arrogant thing to say. I don't think you're arrogant, just the sentiment in this sentence. And I'll tell you for why - I've listened to a fair whack of the music that you love, and I think it's shit. I could be more arrogant than you and say "see, you've heard all the music, but you don't listen properly", but that's just a pissing competition. I think you've heard a lot of the music I love, but you don't point your ears in the same direction as me.

If I listen to a Beyoncé song and love it, it's not because I've listened to [band x], or because I have better taste - it's because we've shared in the awesomeness of the same thing. People who don't spend hours every evening listening to music haven't necessarily got bad taste, they're just not that bothered, music doesn't fill the same emotional canyon for them as it does for most people on this forum.

You can take a horse to water etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 01:45 PM   #43
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Huh. I'm saying a lot of people listen to Green Day because they don't know any better. They've yet to hear better punk bands or whatever... once they actually hear better punk bands, they probably wouldn't bother with Green Day anymore. Why would you? ....Something's going to be mindblowing to someone if they've never heard anything like it. I'm sure most people would agree with me. It's not shocking or bizarre statement. Just a thought.

And I'm definitely not saying the music I listen to is leagues better than what anyone else listens to. Not sure how that came up.

And I still can admit if a Beyoncé song is good, too; but 15 years ago, I might have been fanatical about the song because I hadn't been exposed to any other music that struck me as an interesting.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 01:54 PM   #44
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I know what you're saying, but I just get pissed off with this white indie-boy mentality (and let's not get confused here - I'm talking about myself as much as I am anyone else) of proselytising music. People like Green Day because they like Green Day. I've heard Rancid, NOFX, Black Flag, Bad Brains, MDC or whoever - I like Green Day as much, if not more, than all of them, and the fact of me saying this is exceptionally unimportant.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.13.2009, 01:54 PM   #45
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
While I hate green day I wouldn't say their accents are faux-british...though I know what you mean and I hate bands like that. I'd say the singer from greenday has more of a faux-drunk kinda manly valley girl accent fucked up on pills.

it's like half slur, half retarded, half drunk, and alot of trying to be cool/valley bullshit west coast crap.

are they even from the west coast?
\

I saw them play in a small club in 1993 and that fuck was singing in a Brit accent, still does slightly. he thinks it is "punk"
Old 01.13.2009, 01:58 PM   #46
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Yeah, I know what you're saying, but I just get pissed off with this white indie-boy mentality (and let's not get confused here - I'm talking about myself as much as I am anyone else) of proselytising music. People like Green Day because they like Green Day. I've heard Rancid, NOFX, Black Flag, Bad Brains, MDC or whoever - I like Green Day as much, if not more, than all of them, and the fact of me saying this is exceptionally unimportant.

I suppose, but I don't still like Salt N Pepa, EMC, Lit, Len, Sum-41, Reveille, Glassjaw, Chevelle, etc... though I liked them when I was younger. I dunno if that's simply growing out of that shit or hearing things that are better.

Either way, I've always hated Green Day.

Old 01.13.2009, 02:01 PM   #47
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
98% of things I liked when I was younger (music) I can still at least sort of like now, meaning I can still hear what I liked back then. Or at least appreciate it on a sort of nostalgic level.

Green Day I liked for about a year when I was in Jr. High or so. I hate them now. It just sounds like crap to me.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 02:05 PM   #48
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think this is an exceptionally arrogant thing to say. I don't think you're arrogant, just the sentiment in this sentence. And I'll tell you for why - I've listened to a fair whack of the music that you love, and I think it's shit. I could be more arrogant than you and say "see, you've heard all the music, but you don't listen properly", but that's just a pissing competition. I think you've heard a lot of the music I love, but you don't point your ears in the same direction as me.

If I listen to a Beyoncé song and love it, it's not because I've listened to [band x], or because I have better taste - it's because we've shared in the awesomeness of the same thing. People who don't spend hours every evening listening to music haven't necessarily got bad taste, they're just not that bothered, music doesn't fill the same emotional canyon for them as it does for most people on this forum.

You can take a horse to water etc.

But we don't impose most of the music we listen to on other people's ears either. Two sides to a coin.

And I don't mean that we don't have the power to switch things off , 'cause you can do that easily in your own home, but not in public places etc. I set the boundaries to what I like when music this godawful is presented as amazing. It's not. Anyone is free to like what they want, but others are also free to say it's shit too, just like they tell you about some of the stuff you listen to.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 02:06 PM   #49
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
I suppose, but I don't still like Salt N Pepa, EMC, Lit, Len, Sum-41, Reveille, Glassjaw, Chevelle, etc... though I liked them when I was younger. I dunno if that's simply growing out of that shit or hearing things that are better.

Dude - you don't like Salt n' Pepa? What the actual fuck is wrong with you?

Quote:
Old 01.13.2009, 02:07 PM   #50
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Double hah.

Old 01.13.2009, 02:09 PM   #51
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
But we don't impose most of the music we listen to on other people's ears either. Two sides to a coin.

That's a fair point you've made there actually - we've just come through Christmas which is a time I get panic attacks about going down the shops. It's taken me a lot of work to try and organise my life to avoid those public spaces where the sonic-carpet makes me hate everything (or at least Coldplay) and that imposition can be devastating. Still, we're all grown-ups, stiff upper-lip and all that.

Quote:
Old 01.13.2009, 02:10 PM   #52
sarramkrop

Edited.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 02:12 PM   #53
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
holy fuck! we have green day fans here?

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 02:22 PM   #54
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Haha you listened to sum 41, I NEVER listened to that band.

in fact in the height of their popularity the band I was in announced one of our songs as a sum 41 cover and all these douche bags and their girlfriends started cheering (the town i live in) and then we busted into smells like teen spirit and pissed them all off haha.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 02:26 PM   #55
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Actually, I take that back, Sum-41 aren't too bad. They've got a lot of great singles.

Old 01.13.2009, 02:28 PM   #56
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

And I don't mean that we don't have the power to switch things off , 'cause you can do that easily in your own home, but not in public places etc. I set the boundaries to what I like when music this godawful is presented as amazing. It's not. Anyone is free to like what they want, but others are also free to say it's shit too, just like they tell you about some of the stuff you listen to.

I'm in agreement with you, entirely, but I think you're talking about architecture. Which is fine. I was talking about elitism. Which is also fine. Essentially, I don't like Green Day, but I dislike the indie proselyte more. I dislike vapid sonic architecture more.

I think architecture is maybe the wrong word... I don't want to say sound-scape or anything gay like that. Hmm...

Quote:
Old 01.13.2009, 03:23 PM   #57
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Actually, I take that back, Sum-41 aren't too bad. They've got a lot of great singles.

catchy. Yes.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 03:29 PM   #58
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Their second album is great!
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 04:24 PM   #59
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
for a blatant rip-off act, sure, they got "hits"
Old 01.13.2009, 04:32 PM   #60
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
4 pages for a thread about a band that you guys supposedly despise with all your heart..... which is something unpredictable, but in the end it's right. i hope you had the time of your life.
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth