Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rs Top 100 Songs 2013
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.13.2013, 03:41 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...aving-19691231
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2013, 04:58 AM   #2
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
there's worst songs in that batch then this one. but i understand..rs.

still nice that he made it to top 100 and it was mentioned.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
"a reminder he was always the classic rock counterbalance to Thurston and Kim's avant-gardening"

I shouldn't stupid shit music journalists say annoy me, but it does!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2013, 07:29 AM   #4
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

I think I know what you mean. Like in sense being classic rock?

Old 12.13.2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
More that saying Lee's the classic rock guy in the band is idiotic if you look at his solo output, he's been doing putting out weird solo shit since the 80s and was the first member of SY to do so. From Here, Infinity came out in the SST days ffs!
Old 12.13.2013, 09:00 AM   #6
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
i think he was still in a sense a "classic rock" guy even tho he released all of his other projects. there was an interview around ejtns where he mentioned that his part in bull in the heather was inspired by fortunate son by creedence. thurston seemed surprised and shocked.
he openly admits to loving joni mitchell, the dead etc....
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston is a hipster doofus. Always bad mouthed the Pixies as a "college rock" band, saying they were uninteresting.

Lee however, has always been a song lover. he crafts songs. he is the man. My wife thinks he looks like a serial killer in all my old posters
Old 12.13.2013, 10:11 AM   #8
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Lee however, has always been a song lover. he crafts songs.

I could be wrong, but I hear a massive Joni Mitchell influence. The songcraft, the weird tunings.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2013, 11:42 AM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

That list was crap but it was worthwhile for the link to Lee's review the recent Dead documentary "Sunshine Daydream" which also evinced memories of my chat with Lee about the Dead at the Filter Magazine secret show in 2006. Good times!

http://thetalkhouse.com/features/vie...cWAD74.twitter

Quote:
My entry to the Dead coincided with many other significant events in my young teenage life — initial exposures to sex, drugs, cars, girls, music — all had, at least in part, the Grateful Dead as a soundtrack. I smoked my first joints over Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty, listening across many lazy afternoons in M’s backyard, leafy green, with the speakers propped up against the window screens, blasting out the tunes. By the time Europe ’72 came out, just a couple years later, it seemed the band was in its healthiest state to date (not counting the ailing multi-instrumentalist Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, for whom the tour in Europe would be his last). The band was writing vibrant new songs and the musicianship was at a real high. I saw them for the first time myself shortly after Pigpen stopped touring with them, about half a year after this concert was filmed.
It was the full concert experience! Well, almost: it was lacking the smell of weed. What are the chances of getting a roomful of Deadheads together for a concert movie and not smelling weed in the theatre even once? Was everyone on baked goods or what? I really couldn’t figure that one out.

Quote:
Two or three of the new compositions are quite open-ended, and some of the free playing involved put me in mind of the Dead, mostly in an inspirational, aspirational way. One of the highlights of their music, for me and for many others, is their ability to flow freely from song forms to deep improvisation and back again. They weren’t afraid to examine musical terrain over extended time, without worrying about the verse and chorus.. I used to claim that Sonic Youth had, on occasion, a similar template — our musical excursions may have been (on occasion) a bit more on the noisy side, but nonetheless explorations in sound. And like the Dead, our fans were usually willing to take the trip with us.

FUCKING EXACTLY! THIS is EXACTLY what me and lee talked about in 2006, in particular at that time how the Nurse material readily availed itself as a vehicle for great structured-yet-improvisational jams. Glad Lee is revisiting this with Last Night on Earth, the Dead comparisons I thought were obvious for that record..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2013, 12:21 PM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
SY always had a musical connection to bands like The Dead or Phish more so that bands like Nirvana, or Pavement. By this I mean that they purposefully integrated full on improvisation into every aspect of their song performances live. SY did it more with "noise" and skronk and squalls of feedback but it draws from the same desire to spontaneously create in the middle of performance.

JAZZ baby, it all comes back to Louis Fucking Armstrong.
Old 12.13.2013, 12:25 PM   #11
greenlight
invito al cielo

yeah, you are exactly right with his early output, but he also grew up into most straight forward "classic rock" (plus all his avant. stuff) member off the band, no? Thurston is more punk, to me.

Old 12.13.2013, 12:28 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
yeah, you are exactly right with his early output, but he also grew up into most straight forward "classic rock" (plus all his avant. stuff) member off the band, no? Thurston is more punk, to me.

Yes, in fact when I was talking to Steve about the dead-connection it was he who sent me to Lee saying, "Lee is our resident deadhead.." to which Lee then replied, "Yes I have been known to be from time to time.." Thurston? Not so much, though there was a kick as pic of him jamming the fuck out in Dead t-shirt floating around the interwebs somewhere years ago but I've never been able to find it since.

Quote:
. For one long sequence there’s a bearded, naked hippie high up on a post behind Garcia and Weir — over a long series of shots, he hangs in the upper left corner of the frame like a vulture or talisman. This guy was a big part of the film for me. He disappears for a song or two, then after a while he reappears, but someone has obviously asked him to put on shorts if he was going to be in the shots!

Fuck all if that isn't Iggy Pop!

Old 12.13.2013, 01:35 PM   #13
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

I've read interviews with Thurston going on about the band Nazereth, also Sabbath, Lee mentions Dylan and Neil Young all the time, Steve reissued a bunch of Lee Hazlewood stuff, one with Kim talking about how much she loves Led Zep, all of them talking about Joni Mitchell and the Carpenters.

Who knows (or cares) if one of them is the "classic rock" one?
Old 12.13.2013, 01:36 PM   #14
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Thirston
ha!
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2013, 01:48 PM   #15
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Whatever his stupid is!
Old 12.13.2013, 02:45 PM   #16
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
"a reminder he was always the classic rock counterbalance to Thurston and Kim's avant-gardening"

Funny, I always thought Lee was the counterpoint to Thurston's pop tendencies.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2013, 03:47 PM   #17
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I don't think classic rock necessarily implies "pop" although in some instances it could..

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth