Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Rate/Recommend (bass gear)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.27.2010, 02:15 AM   #1
cars_willkillyou
stalker

cars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's asses
Sold my bass and amp for rent a few years ago. Now I want them back. I used to have a Peavy TKO 115 and a Mexican Fender P-bass with EMG pickups. I loved the bass. The amp was, so-so, but it was a good amp.

Now, other than the shame (which I dont have a problem with), is there any reason to not get a Squier? I mean I know the quality of the wood isnt as good as an American Fender, but is the difference playability/sound quality really worth the extra $1,000?

I'm mostly going to be playing rock and roll. Late 80s/90s alternative, classic rock, blues, and some jazz also apply. I'm looking for a bass and amp combo that will be able to produce clean and crisp, deep lows.

I'm looking for a wide fret board, but thinner/flat neck. I dont like when the back of the neck is round and bulbous. Currently, I'm considering a Fender Jazz or P bass, or a Jaguar bass. The jag is currently my favorite. I've played a few in stores and for their overall tone and feel, I almost prefer them to most other fenders. The only thing is that I am on a budget, and if I bought the Jaguar, it'd be at least another month before I could afford an amp to plug it into. Which isnt necessarily a bad thing, I need to get good again before I subject the neighbors to my playing. Lows travel far..

For amps, I'm looking for something I can be able to hear over a drummer and be able to take to a small gig. I'm trying to stick with a combo, but would it be worth to just save the extra cash and spend it on a stack?

So if anyone would be so kind as to throw out any recommendations or rate any basses and/or bass amps you have had experience with, I'd really appreciate it. Also, if anyone has any gear that they'd be willing to part with, I may be interested.

Keep in mind that I'm not a professional musician, and do not have a lot of money to spend on everything. I'd say that I have about $800 to play with, if I cut back on my smoking and comic books addictions.

cars_willkillyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2010, 03:10 AM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_willkillyou
is there any reason to not get a Squier? I mean I know the quality of the wood isnt as good as an American Fender, but is the difference playability/sound quality really worth the extra $1,000?

I'd say the difference between a Squier and a US P. Bass is far less than between their Strats or Teles. I've played both versions and found them pretty much identical both in sound and playability. I've not tried a jazz bass so can't speak for that, although if you're looking for a wide thin neck then I think you'd get on with a P Bass slightly better anyway, especially the more recent ones.

Quote:
I'm looking for a bass and amp combo that will be able to produce clean and crisp, deep lows.

Warwick Combos are great. They're really affordable and you can get pretty much any size you want. This is a good bet, especially used. The only problem with it is that you can't fit an external speaker to it. Unless you're going to get into valves (which your budget probably won't stretch to) 250w is about the minimum you'd need for a S/S bass amp to be heard over a reasonably loud drummer.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2010, 03:45 AM   #3
cars_willkillyou
stalker

cars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's asses
I've been shopping online for the last few hours, and I think my best bet is going to be patient and wait until I find a good deal on craigslist for cab and amp. I like combos for their mobility, and even my TKO 115 could be heard with a loud drummer in a small room, just not very well. I'd rather spend the extra money on a cab and amp that i'll never HAVE to upgrade. I'm sure there will come a time when i want to upgrade for something better. Also, I'm approaching my wants/needs a lot differently than when I first started playing. I'd rather have something loud that sounds kind of shitty, than a nice practice amp and bass guitar.

I'm considering buying a used Epiphone Thunderbird bass. Found one on the list for 160. I've always liked the look of em. I know they are heavy, and may not sound as good as some fenders, but I'm already planning on putting active (emg's most likely) pickups in whatever bass i get. After having EMGs in a bass, I cant imagine ever playing through passive pickups again.

Old 02.27.2010, 07:23 AM   #4
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
a cab and amp is definitely the better bet. a decent head (again, Warwick are very good) and a cheap-shit 2x 15 cab will be plenty loud enough. And those Thunderbird basses are really nice. You should be able to get all of those quite easily within your budget if you go used. I'd still look into Yamaha basses though. I used to have a version of one these years ago and I tend to think it was better than any bass I've owned since, some of which have been considerably more expensive. It's passive though, so you'll still need to upgrade if you want to use EMGs. If you're looking for something to last you indefinitely, Yamaha's build quality is about as good as anyone's and in its price bracket is pretty much untouchable. Although you'd need to be pretty reckless to destroy any bass, regardless of who made it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
The classic vibe series by Squier is really great value-for-money (I own the Jazz Bass and I don't regret buying it all).
Old 02.28.2010, 03:27 AM   #6
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
OP: I think your heading in the right direction. For the styles you mentioned and your budget..... I think you can't go wrong with a Fender P or Jazz. In fact, I'd recommend a P/J which has the Precision P/U's near neck and the Jazz near the bridge. I would NOT do a squire for numerous reasons, and to name just a couple, the electronics and p/u's are far inferior to even the MEX Fenders. Also, if you look around, you can get a decent Mexi for the price of a new Squire.
Here's a couple I just saw......
Look up these on ebay. Place the item number in the search: 160405776767 or 150418149717
.... these new are about $650.... so $450 or so for a great condition one is a good deal.

the Jaguar's are really cool to but are going to be harder to on the c-list if you're looking for a good used deal. If you "know" this one is for you, go for it, but you can't go wrong with the P's or Jazz.... or P/J.

pay the 100 or two extra for active electronics. TRUST ME! especially if you aren't playing through some serious high wattage gear, you'll miss the low-end and fullness active p/u's can give you, plus you can always roll the preamps down to make it passive (or a combo or each).

As for amps.... Look for a good deal on craigslist. You can always find say a GK Backline 1x15 for under or around $200.... but I've got a feeling you would outgrow something like that soon, playing with drums, etc. Good for starters would be something like an Ashdown MAG Combo, the 410's or the 115 are nice.

Now to retract.... I would definitely pay for the American made models and buy the bass, then amp as you can afford them.... but I will admit, you can find some gems with the Mexi's and then always upgrade the p/u's if the build and playability are solid.... once you become "one with it"

Couple other random notes, I wouldn't get cheap with cables. try the "Monster Bass" instrument cables, fuck all the whine about Monster, they are badass cables...... spend $30-50 on a good cable or two. The monster bass kinda curl and twist after lots of moving, but worth it. You could have all kinds of decent sound with a cheap set-up and kill the potential with shit cables.

If you're not into the tech stuff, pay someone (reputable) to do a professional set up for you (60-120 bucks).

good lucks!

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops
I would NOT do a squire for numerous reasons, and to name just a couple, the electronics and p/u's are far inferior to even the MEX Fenders. Also, if you look around, you can get a decent Mexi for the price of a new Squire.

Not true, Classic Vibe Squiers are as good if not better than Mexican Fenders.
Old 02.28.2010, 04:05 PM   #8
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Not true, Classic Vibe Squiers are as good if not better than Mexican Fenders.

Possibly.... I can't speak much for the China made stuff. I guess what I'd really wonder, is how do the electronics sound compared side by side to the MEX, to the USA? A lot of the reviews I'm seeing are like... "I was looking to buy a bass...." so you don't know how well their experience with others compare.... BUT, I have seen a couple with some references to owning Mexican and USA's and saying in some ways, the Squire is better. So, maybe the Squire's are a great sleeper. You've got me curious.

Old 02.28.2010, 04:18 PM   #9
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
if you want a combo you can't go past the ampeg ba600 http://www.ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba600/115.html

and the the swr LA10 http://www.swrsound.com/products/sea...tno=4490300000
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2010, 07:09 PM   #10
FreshChops
100%

this isn't in your area, but I saw this 'round me here. This might be a good example to jump on:

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/msg/1621788546.html

Old 03.05.2010, 03:55 AM   #11
cars_willkillyou
stalker

I appreciate all the responses, i really do. I think im gonna end up getting a fender Jaguar bass. its a beautiful instrument with a beautiful sound. I'll probably end up with some sort of payment plan, so the amp will have to wait.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth