Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Favorite Post Rock Band?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.19.2007, 10:40 AM   #41
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Sorry, but that's simply not true, even though Tortoise were, at one point, the band that you immediately thought of (perhaps with Mogwai too) when you heard the term post-rock.

Well, I don't think even any of us are big enough geeks to do an extensive search of the first use of the term. The first I ever heard it used was in reviews of Tortoise and the explanations of what it meant were all built around what Tortoise do. That was some time ago, and now I see it used to describe all sorts of bands, many who seem much more grounded in straight ahead rock or post-punk or ambient. My understanding of why Tortoise were considered post-rock was that they couldn't exactly be considered a rock band though they were grounded in that world in terms of background and fanbase.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 11:02 AM   #42
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Well, I don't think even any of us are big enough geeks to do an extensive search of the first use of the term.

"The term Post-Rock was first used in a modern context by journalist Simon Reynolds in a review of Bark Psychosis' 1994 album, Hex."

from here http://altmusic.about.com/od/genress.../post_rock.htm , no idea if that's a reliable source of infos.
actually I just typed "birth of post rock term" in google. Not an "extensive" search at all
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 11:05 AM   #43
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Well, I don't think even any of us are big enough geeks to do an extensive search of the first use of the term. The first I ever heard it used was in reviews of Tortoise and the explanations of what it meant were all built around what Tortoise do. That was some time ago, and now I see it used to describe all sorts of bands, many who seem much more grounded in straight ahead rock or post-punk or ambient. My understanding of why Tortoise were considered post-rock was that they couldn't exactly be considered a rock band though they were grounded in that world in terms of background and fanbase.
Well, perhaps I am a big geek because the term was first used by Simon Reynolds in an article on The Wire. You can even download the article from that magazine's website, if they still have it on. You'd even find it surprisng that the bands he was referring to have little to do with your Godspeeds, Mogwais etc etc.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 02:39 AM   #44
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Well, perhaps I am a big geek because the term was first used by Simon Reynolds in an article on The Wire. You can even download the article from that magazine's website, if they still have it on. You'd even find it surprisng that the bands he was referring to have little to do with your Godspeeds, Mogwais etc etc.

Actually, I wouldn't find that surprising at all. I'd just find it surprising if they didn't have something to do with Tortoise. I'll go look now and see.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2008, 03:53 PM   #45
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
I'm currently listening a LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArge bunch of CDrs that i wan't too sure about and that i had put away in the "may end up inthe bin" corner of the record collection.
I stumbled on BARK PSYCHOSIS 's Hex + Dustsucker
this suff is really good although it really embodies the term "grower".

you know Talk Talk Lps were grower as well, but you know these two BARK PSYCHOSIS Lps fit right next to Talk Talk and Mark Hollis or even DAVID SYLVIAN's Blemish or Slowdive on the other end.

Very lush production, "Hex" was released in 1994 wich was kind of early but then Tortoise's first LPs were realeased round about that time (1992/93 if rememebr well).
oh well i wanted to start a thread about BP but then i found this relevant thread so yah any BP love here?

actually post , sure but "Rock"?
Old 12.01.2008, 01:17 AM   #46
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Post rock always seemed like an oxymoron (more like a dumb buzzterm made up by the underground music press) to me. Rock is about bombast, loud distorted guitars, often is influenced by blues, and usually the songs are 5 minutes or less.

Most of the "post rock" I've heard doesn't really "rock" at all...
Old 12.01.2008, 04:48 AM   #47
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
i've got a soft spot for mogwai (even though they're getting a bit shit) and Explosions in the Sky and Sigur Ros but at the moment i'm playing the latest silver mnt zion loads
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 05:12 AM   #48
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I searched the site for that article (which I think was in issue#124) but it didn't come up. All I could find was this quote in which he seems to define it as, "using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures rather than riffs and power chords." I'd be interested to know the names of some of the bands he mentions in relation to it though.

I tend to think of post-Rock as signifying just as much a move away from standard rock rhythm patterns as it does a commitment to move away from riffs, etc. In that sense, and in terms of precursors, I've always thought Can pretty much laid down its earliest template. I might say Beefheart too, but that'd be for slightly different, and altogether less convincing, reasons.

Anyway, until someone comes up with a solid definition, I'm gonna say that Twin Infinitives era Royal Trux are my favourite post-Rock band - even though I've never thought of them as being a post-Rock band at all, and doubt if they actually are.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 07:55 AM   #49
punkaspoo
children of satan

punkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's asses
slint

or sigur rуs

punkaspoo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 10:05 AM   #50
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
If anyone is really really really keen to read the article, I'm fairly sure that it's reprinted in Simon Reynolds' "Bring The Noise" book.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 10:13 AM   #51
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
world's end girlfriend

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 10:14 AM   #52
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
oh this is an old thread where i said the same thing.

world's end girlfriend.

Old 12.01.2008, 10:14 AM   #53
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
^
Have you heard his collaboration with Mono? Beautiful stuff.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 04:33 PM   #54
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I was actually listening to some old Aerial M stuff (the self-titled CD plus some EPs) in my car on my way from the regular Monday evening football match and I reminded myself how much I love this period of mr. Pajo's music career.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 04:36 PM   #55
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
currently, I'd say Apse.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 04:39 PM   #56
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
currently, I'd say Apse.

good call. they had this decent album called "spirit", didn't they?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 04:40 PM   #57
sarramkrop

they used to have that article on the wire's website a few years ago. i'm absolutely certain of that 'cause it was the first time i read it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 04:42 PM   #58
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I was actually listening to some old Aerial M stuff (the self-titled CD plus some EPs) in my car on my way from the regular Monday evening football match and I reminded myself how much I love this period of mr. Pajo's music career.
me too. post-rock means nothing to me now, but i'd have lumped them in that category when i wasn't as smart as i am now.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 11:30 PM   #59
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yeah, the collab with mono is essential.

Old 12.02.2008, 12:01 AM   #60
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Tortoise

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth