Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Lee produces Malkmus's Dylan cover
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.28.2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/Malkmus_Hold_Steady_Jim_James_Calexico_Do_Dylan#41 426

Malkmus, Hold Steady, Jim James, Calexico Do Dylan
Plus: Willie Nelson, Roger McGuinn of the Byrds
Sorry, Adam Duritz. You don't get to be Bob Dylan. But guess what? In Velvet Goldmine/Far From Heaven director Todd Haynes' forthcoming feature I'm Not There, six other people do-- including Richard Gere, Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, and even Cate Blanchett. Each plays a Dylan of a different period in the experimental flick, presently in post-production and tentatively slated for release later this year.

A lot of fine folks who aren't playing Dylan get to do the next best thing-- cover the man's timeless songs for the film's soundtrack. While details have not yet been completely confirmed, we do know Stephen Malkmus, the Hold Steady, and Calexico-- with Jim James, Willie Nelson, and the Byrds' Roger McGuinn-- are among the acts giving it the old Dylan try.

According to Rollingstone.com, Stephen Malkmus takes on Dylan's "Maggie's Farm" and "Ballad of a Thin Man"-- with Dylan bandmember Tony Garnier in his band and Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo in the producer's chair. Judging from a post on the Malkmus website, it seems the indie icon's cover will appear in the film itself with an actor mouthing the words: "Maybe we arent supposed to talk about this too much. but one of our favorite movie stars inhabits senor jick's voice to perfection," claims the Malkmus site.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2007, 12:20 PM   #2
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
I'm a big Stephen Malmus fan. I really want to hear this...
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2007, 10:35 PM   #3
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck yeah. Lee's the man. Malkmus is awesome too. Great songwriter himself, I would love to hear him cover those Dylan songs. I wonder why they dont use Lee's version of "Mama, You Been On My Mind." It seems rather obvious. One of the best Dylan covers I've ever heard.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 12:09 PM   #4
FREDDY!LUNDBERG!
empty page

FREDDY!LUNDBERG! is a jewel in the roughFREDDY!LUNDBERG! is a jewel in the roughFREDDY!LUNDBERG! is a jewel in the rough
Any sort of project surrounding or containing Lee Ranaldo, Stephen Malkmus and Bob Dylan has to be genius.

Anyone willing to upload Lee's "Mama, You Been On My Mind"? I'm highly intrigued.
FREDDY!LUNDBERG! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth