Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page musicians more talented than the bands they play in are good...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.11.2008, 04:36 PM   #21
SugarMountain
little trouble girl

SugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm, The only one I can kind of agree with is Frusciante. His solo stuff is better then anything the chilis have done in my opinion, but not alot of people listen to it and he would have even less exposure still if it wasn't for his day job, and I expect being in probably the worlds biggest rock band is quite fun as far as day jobs go

I'm a huge Wilco fan so im biased but no one is being carried in that band (especially the current line up) they are all giant talents

and lets not forget no matter how good a lead guitarist you are, you're always gonna need good songs to play eg. Coxon/Albarn, Greenwood/Yorke
SugarMountain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2008, 04:39 PM   #22
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Craig Scanlan of The Fall.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2008, 04:43 PM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the epitome of this is FRANK ZAPPA
Old 04.11.2008, 05:00 PM   #24
lungfish
bad moon rising

lungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asses
Eno is the first that came to mind.
lungfish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2008, 11:51 PM   #25
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
did someone here said yes suck? fuck man...

rick wakeman also played in the strawbs and did session work with black sabbath. i'm still very afraid to listen to any of his solo stuff, i truly am scared shitless.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2008, 12:10 AM   #26
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i would say greg ginn, but black flag had other amazing players too. this question is too hard for me to answer.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2008, 12:13 AM   #27
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
did someone here said yes suck? fuck man...

rick wakeman also played in the strawbs and did session work with black sabbath. i'm still very afraid to listen to any of his solo stuff, i truly am scared shitless.

No, I wouldn't go so far as to say "Yes sucks", just much of their worse excesses (but on the other hand and to the other extreme also their most commercial endeavors, Big Generator anybody?) I really like the first two albums, which were psych rather than "art-rock" records, and actually The Yes Album is still great, and Fragile has it's moments if starting to get over indulgent and certainly way overplayed. I just don't see any defense for Topographical Oceans though, nor Relayer, Tormanto, etc., etc. (not even to get into the most recent reunions).

And I was straight up that I think my tastes are subjective to begin with. I prefer less is more, and Wakeman has done it really well for other artists. What he's famous for in Yes is the keyboard equivalent of wankiness though. And yeah, a great deal of his solo catalog is even more of the same, in fact worse, since he's free from the "song" strictures of the prog rock group...
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2008, 12:17 AM   #28
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
James Iha?

I have no idea.
Old 04.12.2008, 12:30 AM   #29
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
No, I wouldn't go so far as to say "Yes sucks", just much of their worse excesses (but on the other hand and to the other extreme also their most commercial endeavors, Big Generator anybody?) I really like the first two albums, which were psych rather than "art-rock" records, and actually The Yes Album is still great, and Fragile has it's moments if starting to get over indulgent and certainly way overplayed. I just don't see any defense for Topographical Oceans though, nor Relayer, Tormanto, etc., etc. (not even to get into the most recent reunions).

And I was straight up that I think my tastes are subjective to begin with. I prefer less is more, and Wakeman has done it really well for other artists. What he's famous for in Yes is the keyboard equivalent of wankiness though. And yeah, a great deal of his solo catalog is even more of the same, in fact worse, since he's free from the "song" strictures of the prog rock group...

i was kinda kidding man, i know nobody likes yes. at least you really show appreciation.

i'm yet to venture to the yes album and back but i'm kinda familiar with them, and out of the ones i heard, my favorite is fragile. i noticed that yes were a lot better live than in the studio, they always tried to super polish everything and multitrack as much as possible, i love "close to the edge" live but find the studio version just ok, same with relayer, too smooth but life i love all three songs. weird. but i'm not saying this so you should like them, just i don't know, making conversation...no, actually, to show you that even thought i love them, i know what you mean.

but i agree, not only wakeman, but all of them could fare really well playing less.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2008, 04:26 AM   #30
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i was kinda kidding man, i know nobody likes yes. at least you really show appreciation.

i'm yet to venture to the yes album and back but i'm kinda familiar with them, and out of the ones i heard, my favorite is fragile. i noticed that yes were a lot better live than in the studio, they always tried to super polish everything and multitrack as much as possible, i love "close to the edge" live but find the studio version just ok, same with relayer, too smooth but life i love all three songs. weird. but i'm not saying this so you should like them, just i don't know, making conversation...no, actually, to show you that even thought i love them, i know what you mean.

but i agree, not only wakeman, but all of them could fare really well playing less.

I'm not ashamed to admit that in the days before punk rock existed in the suburban NW (it seems weird, but there's a reason that Queensryche were the first band to come out of my homeground and why even years later the underground bands were all so versed in Zeppelin, and it's the fact that the local radio stations in the '80s never once admited that the Ramones had ever existed!) I listened to quite a lot of Yes (and for that matter Rush, and even worse, Triumph). Of the music that I had been allowed to know existed in the world, art rock was the most appealing to me because it was rock with at least somewhat artistic goals (i.e. pretentions). I also listened to my share of metal because of the power.

Then one day I was randomly twisting the radio dial and I caught the tail end of "She's in a Bad Mood" on the local college station. In those thirty seconds my life was completely changed. Here was music that was artier than anything Yes had ever dreamed of and with more power than any metal band I had ever heard! What's more it wasn't cheesy, wasn't overproduced, and even the dj who came on to announce it afterward sounded like she was from another, much more interesting, planet. In a total epiphany I realized that there was a whole world of possibilities and sounds that AOR radio had been completely hiding from me, and I was never going back.

So I still have a nostalgic soft spot for the geeky 17 year old that was listening to Yes when that happened. Through my much more informed musical ears today, I can still admit that The Yes Album (which is actually pre-Wakeman when you come down to it) is a decent record that isn't light years away from Tortoise in terms of theory and minus Anderson's vocals (which are much less elfy on that one than later) sound. I'm glad Sonic Youth are arty and not just noisy and powerful, and that this made them palatable to my teen art-rock geek ears.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 03:11 AM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Well, Frusciante quit Chili Peppers finally.. I know this is late but yeah.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 03:13 AM   #32
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think my vote for this is probably THE FATAL FLYING GUILLOTTENS's guitar player, who is one of the most talented, unique, and awesome guitarists ever, but the rest of the band sounds kinda like kinda poor Jesus Lizard wannabe and the singer is terrible, leaving his mouth open way too long after every word is spoken.

Old 05.12.2010, 04:12 AM   #33
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Alan Wilder of Depeche Mode.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 04:24 AM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Avey Tare of Animal Collective, whose solo stuff is better than every other AC-related project combined.

SlipKnot's drummer.

Old 05.12.2010, 05:14 AM   #35
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
3rd or 4th-ing Nick Zinner, thirding Nels Cline. Other than that I dunno. Those were the ones that came to mind looking at the thread title.

(PS How can you say Tweedy's better than Wilco are good, considering he IS Wilco? That'd be like saying Trent Reznor is better than Nine Inch Nails. Same damn thing!)
Old 05.12.2010, 05:32 AM   #36
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Avey Tare of Animal Collective, whose solo stuff is better than every other AC-related project combined.

SlipKnot's drummer.

Oh yes
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 06:01 AM   #37
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Morrissey was too talented for The Smiths, which he proved when he went solo.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 06:10 AM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Haha KiS, funniest thing you've ever posted.

Old 05.12.2010, 06:19 AM   #39
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Haha KiS, funniest thing you've ever posted.

What did the other members do when Morrissey left the band? Practically fuck all because they didn't have the talent to continue without him. The most talented of the three, Johnny Marr, did nothing but prostitute his half-decent guitar playing to other bands.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 06:48 AM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Morrissey's solo work ranges from terrible to terribly mediocre. Marr -- by far and away one of the greatest guitarists to ever live -- never did anything after the Smiths ended, but he was The Smiths (he ended the band, not Morrissey), so why does it matter? He'd already done that band, made his mark, and that was that.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth