Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Axe-FX
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.18.2010, 06:35 AM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
There's seems to be a big debate brewing about whether it'll make standard amps obsolete. It's just a pre-amp so you'd still need a power amp, but it does seem to be the most serious device to date to really challenge the need for traditional/valve amps. Anyone got or tried one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAJfONBq89U

http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fa-axefx.html

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/ind...itle=Main_Page
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 07:04 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Whoa, that seems sexy as hell.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 07:20 AM   #3
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Alot of people are quite reluctant about them, especially those that've already invested in quite high end boutique valve gear. Those that've tried one though are almost unanimous in singing its praises.
Old 07.18.2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Personally, I still hold to my assertion that "modeling" amps and built-in effects processors are only a good choice for cruise ship cover band guitarists.
Haven't tried one of these, but I dont really care. My amplifier is the most satisfying device I have ever drawn too much current with. I'm just not interested, and I am VERY glad to be well out of the "need more gear" mode of thinking.
If I ever get something else, it will be something my bandmate builds.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 09:25 PM   #5
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Personally, I still hold to my assertion that "modeling" amps and built-in effects processors are only a good choice for cruise ship cover band guitarists.
Haven't tried one of these, but I dont really care. My amplifier is the most satisfying device I have ever drawn too much current with. I'm just not interested, and I am VERY glad to be well out of the "need more gear" mode of thinking.
If I ever get something else, it will be something my bandmate builds.

I've not tried one either, and I instinctively agree. I have heard other people though, who shared the same initial views, finally have to admit after trying one that it pretty much transcends standard modelling devices (although that's still ultimately what it is). The fact that it still requires a power amp (ideally valve) does sort of undermine its underlying objective but, we shall see i suppose. either way, as a sign of things to come, it's pretty much cast in stone now. It's really only the amp business that's keeping valve manufacturing afloat at the moment, and as modelling amps continue to increase in sales it's more than likely that those manufacturers still making valves will simply pull the plug on them altogether - unless there's a way for small companies to start making them (which will inevitably drive up costs, etc etc.). Again, we shall see.
Old 07.19.2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It's really only the amp business that's keeping valve manufacturing afloat at the moment, and as modelling amps continue to increase in sales it's more than likely that those manufacturers still making valves will simply pull the plug on them altogether - unless there's a way for small companies to start making them (which will inevitably drive up costs, etc etc.). Again, we shall see.

High-end home audio helps as well.
My bandmate is in that business, and does reasonably well. Keeps several of my other friends employed.
My amplifier is older than I am anyway; I think the millions of valve amps out there and the fierce loyalty many players have to their chosen "sound" will, at the very least, keep things going just by demand for maintenance needs.

I do like seeing new designs, though. My bandmate has designed a few different instrument amplifiers recently that operate differently than any others ever made, and I love being able to play guinea pig with the prototypes.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2010, 08:54 AM   #7
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I think devices like that could turn out to be more like a trap than an aid for musicians.
Having hundreds of "amps" , effects, endless settings is more dangerous than helpful imo.
You lose focus. You can have fun trying out stuff, but in the end I think it's pretty much like with Photoshop filters. There are thousands available, but if you have taste you'll most likely end up using just a handful of those, the ones that works better for your goals.
Sure, it's impressive and cool to be able to "reproduce" the sound of specific types of gear, but hell...what for?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2010, 08:55 AM   #8
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
^^100% agreement. I deleted my half written reply because of yours
to add something and bringing it back to music: same goes for VST plugins.

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2010, 12:34 PM   #9
ondskan
children of satan

ondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Great, great words

+1

While I defenitely not would concider myself as a gear fetischist (whether it be analog or digital) I seriously doubt that any modeling-unit will ever be able to reproduce the feeling of a "real" amplifier. I believe the hiss and noise produced in your crappy gear is a part of your sound.

Though, I'm fucking interested in how the unit actually works, how they can tell they've got "The Best Guitar Effects Pedals & Studio Effects Processors" and so on. Can't find anywhere on their site where the technology is explained.

(and excuse me for my bad english)
ondskan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2010, 01:39 PM   #10
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
I will never give up my old Fender Twin Reverb in the studio or in a live situation... sorry to my ears not much can replace it.

still sounds beautiful, loud and clear... even with some occassional crackling (the caps might be slowly going) its older than me too. i just wish it didn't break my back eveytime i moved it (even with its casters!).

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth