Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page It dawns on me that The Fall might be the best band to grace this fucking island ever
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.06.2008, 12:23 AM   #1
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Last week I splashed out on 5 Fall albums on Amazon, meaning I've probably got 11 or 12 altogether now, it's not even close too all their stuff I know, but on hearing The Light User Syndrome for the first time tonight it's slowly creeping up on me that there isn't another band quite as consistantly brilliant as The Fall. I finally heard Imperial Wax Solvent aswell, and I really enjoyed what I heard (though my favourite still remains The Unutterable). I don't want to displace any of my all-time favourite British bands, but none of them have a back-catalogue as large and consistent as The Fall. If theres one thing this forum needs less of it's Fall threads I do understand, but I just wanted to share my newfound adoration of this band...

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2008, 04:22 AM   #2
sarramkrop

I'm on the same boat on this. Never understood the talk, considering The Fall are the best band the UK ever produced.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2008, 04:44 AM   #3
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
they are possibly the greatest band on the planet but why so long for the penny to drop..

and no, we need more fall threads or at least rebump the real long one!
Old 12.06.2008, 04:44 AM   #4
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
'Best' is inevitably an impossible one to really determine, but in terms of consistency, longevity and influence they have to be strong contenders for the throne. Certainly off the top of my head I can't think of a more worthy candidate.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2008, 04:45 AM   #5
sarramkrop

The Beatles. I don't like them, but give credit where it's due.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2008, 04:49 AM   #6
sarramkrop

I don't get why I don't like the beatles either, considering that there are so many aspects of their doing that are awesome.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2008, 04:53 AM   #7
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
The Beatles. I don't like them, but give credit where it's due.
Inevitably, although I think they're now such an accepted institution that it's almost a case of looking for the greatest besides them.
Old 12.06.2008, 04:55 AM   #8
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Inevitably, although I think they're now such an accepted institution that it's almost a case of looking for the greatest besides them.
their attitude and posture = perfect
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2008, 04:56 AM   #9
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

yeah
the beatles
the fall
everyone else!!!!!!
Old 12.06.2008, 05:13 AM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
their attitude and posture = perfect

Yes, I agree. I was watching the Anthology series again recently and I can honestly say that in terms of their utter cultural open-mindedness, their sheer work ethic (which is something you've mentioned in the past and which I too think is a really overlooked attribute of theirs) their inate good taste, and the style and professionalism with which they presented their ideas sets an example to any band, regardless of the genre in which they're working.
Old 12.06.2008, 07:56 AM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
The Fall are definitely amongst the best bands ever, there's no question. But all my Fall praise is on the other thread..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2008, 08:26 AM   #12
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
i don't get the Fall, just now.
I tried but got bored of the messy attitude pretty soon.
i might/will come back to them within a couple of years though.
Old 12.06.2008, 09:21 AM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
'Best' is inevitably an impossible one to really determine...

Personally, I'd use the Fall as a high water mark to solve that one. I could wank on about them for a very long time, so I won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2008, 09:27 AM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Here's the definitive rant.

Old 04.02.2009, 11:01 AM   #15
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
I lost my The Fall live virginity last night. I really fucking enjoyed myself, though it quite apparently wasn't their best gig either (or their longest). What was utterly bizarre about it was Mark E Smith has broken his hip and sung the whole set in a wheelchair! It was quite endearing to see him wheeling himself about the stage to fuck with his band's amps. A perfect band.
Highlight - the anthemic "I've Been Duped"

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2009, 11:05 AM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

In several interviews, Kojima said he got the idea for Metal Gear Solid 2's story when he read an article about the lawsuit against Napster. The idea that the US Government could seek to prevent the world from sharing music with one another struck him as one step closer to a science-fiction world of mind-control. At the same time he got this idea, he was playing his son's friend's copy of Pokémon Silver. Hideo Kojima, I hear, has one of every Pokémon on every possible version of Pokémon. Most of them are on level 100.

Metal Gear Solid 2 took so long to develop, Kojima says, because he was playing Pokémon Crystal about six hours a day. He called it his "part-time job."

Old 04.02.2009, 11:18 AM   #17
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
THIS IS WHY THEY ARE ONE OF THE GREATS

http://www.nme.com/news/the-fall/43841

EDIT: sorry i didnt see the post above, but here is an article about it. sounds awesome, i can't believe you were there to see the broken hip priest wheeling about
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2009, 11:59 AM   #18
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
i don't get the Fall, just now.
I tried but got bored of the messy attitude pretty soon.
i might/will come back to them within a couple of years though.

I'm with you. I've heard a few of their albums (don't ask which ones; I don't remember) and am always unenthused.

I will probably one day grow into them though, as I often have with bands that I at first did not like.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth