Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page We Owe You Nothing: Punk Planet: The collected interviews
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.05.2006, 05:48 AM   #1
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Here's an interesting read. Provocative interviews with figures as diverse as
Jello Biafra, Kathleen Hanna, Thurston Moore, etc.

Synopses & Reviews
Publisher Comments:
Punk Planet has explored the crossover of punk with activism, and reflects the currents of the underground while simultaneously challenging the bleak centerism of today's popular American culture.
Daniel Sinker began publishing and editing Punk Planet magazine at age 19. Punk Planet has been a driving force in both punk music and progressive politics since its inception in 1994. The Chicago-based magazine is distributed worldwide and has been covered by The Nation, Spin, Chicago Reader, New York Press, San Francisco Bay Guardian, Metropolis, Emigre and many other publications.

Critical praise for Punk Planet magazine:

Punk Planet is indispensable reading for anyone and everyone who is interested in vital music that has yet to be co-opted, commodified, or covered to death in the mainstream press. Passionate music writing for the right reason.- Jim DeRogatis, Chicago Sun-Times, author of Let it Blurt: The Life and Times of Lester Bangs

In principle, the idea doesn't seem that outrageous: Why not create a magazine about music and politics that doesn?t have its hands tied behind its back from the start, freed from the shallowness and trend mandates of official media, the insularity and disciplinary bifurcations of academia, and the ideological blinkers that held back Maximum Rock n Roll? So try thinking of anyone but Punk Planet who's pulled it off.- Eric Weisbard, Village Voice

Punk Planet is obviously based on the theory that there is nothing revolutionary about being illiterate. By pushing the parameters of punk journalism beyond the usual reports from the suburban teenage wasteland, the Planet has become one of the subculture's essentialreads.-Guitar World

One of the most vital, interesting and important magazines currently around. I can't recommend it more highly.-San Francisco Bay Guardian

Synopsis:
The first compilation of the riveting and provocative interviews of Punk Planet magazine, founded in 1994 and charging unbowed into the new millenium. Never lapsing into hapless nostalgia, these conversations with figures as diverse as Jello Biafra, Kathleen Hanna, Henry Rollins, Sleater-Kinney, Excene, and many more provide a unique perspective into American punk rock and all that it has inspired (and confounded). Punk Planet has explored the crossover of punk with activism, and reflects the currents of the underground while simultaneously challenging the bleak centerism of today's popular American culture.

Related links:
http://www.unamerican.com/books/index.htm
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/bibli...1-1888451149-5
Old 07.05.2006, 06:49 AM   #2
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Good book, I think I still have it somewhere. I rarely bought the magazine, it was a bit hard going for me, a couple of good articles in each issue, plus a lot that I wasn't interested in. Buying this "best of" is definitely the way to go. Recommended.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
ther are some good interviews in that book but they over egg it a bit with all the politics i find
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
ther are some good interviews in that book but they over egg it a bit with all the politics i find

Punk is political.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth