Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.04.2016, 12:18 PM   #47921
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses

Braz Gonsalves and Luis Banks mixing up an exotic cocktail on this incredibly rare 45 from Calcutta 1970.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIPd...ature=youtu.be

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2016, 05:50 PM   #47922
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
^ Sending me down another amazing rabbit hole.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2016, 05:27 PM   #47923
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
"Spattered jazz" is certainly more poetic and probably more accurate than "funky." Those two tracks are so different, I can't say I really prefer either.

Is Gruppo Di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza super famous? Should I feel stupid for never having heard them until yesterday?

EDIT: I am stupid. The more I dig around 60s avant-garde German music, the more I realize Can wasn't particularly original. I had no idea.

Those Avant German groups is part of the reason David Bowie ended up there recording his Berlin trilogy. CAN was very original due to the fact they were the introduction for so many to that unique sound back then.

The same is true for Steven Stapleton of Nurse With Wound. In the first NWW release, he included a list of groups that inspired him / new groups he was listening to......you can read about the Nurse With Wound List

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2016, 06:14 PM   #47924
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The more I dig around 60s avant-garde German music, the more I realize Can wasn't particularly original.

WELL, that's like saying Sonic Youth weren't particularly original because before them there were the Velvets and Mars and The Fall and whatnot. (Come to think of it, that's more like saying SY weren't particularly original because before them there were Zappa [yech] and The Fugs). Like Sonic Youth, Can were more than a portal band and more than a straight synthesis of their influences. Scores of "experimental" German acts from the '60s and '70s made interesting contributions but none of them could come up with "Mushroom", son.

As for NWW, the list featured on Chance Meeting included some mighty bitchen acts indeed, but as Simon Reynolds noted, "In some ways Nurse With Wound are the world's longest-running Faust tribute band, their aesthetic based on the same principles as that group's most celebrated album, The Faust Tapes". So not Primal Scream, but...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2016, 10:18 AM   #47925
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I should have written that Can "isn't as original as I once assumed due to my strange ignorance of the slightly pre-Kraurock era." Strange ignorance because I know my atonal/serial music, Darmstadt School stuff, "Krautrock" proper. Can't explain how I completely ignored a decade of German music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Scores of "experimental" German acts from the '60s and '70s made interesting contributions but none of them could come up with "Mushroom", son.

I'll assume you're right. I've been digging around for something to refute this, but all I come across is trippy stuff, jamming or both. All fine and good, but nothing I can sing in the shower like I can and do with "Mushroom."

BTW, did everyone know that if you go to youtube and type in a country--any country--and add "folk music," you'll eventually end up with an eargasm? (Might have to add "traditional.")
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2016, 04:30 PM   #47926
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
BTW, did everyone know that if you go to youtube and type in a country--any country--and add "folk music," you'll eventually end up with an eargasm? (Might have to add "traditional.")

That is EGREGIOUSLY UNTRUE of my country.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 05.06.2016, 04:43 PM   #47927
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I'm on a ZZ Top kick

Old 05.06.2016, 07:39 PM   #47928
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
sonic youth
pavement
velvet underground
the beatles

all my teenage heroes. well besides nervarna. lately listening to all the others. im old enough now to say it's a nostalgic thing. sometimes I have dreams of listening to these bands and it sounds cooler than actually listening to these bands. maybe because I don't have enough time anymore or burnout on listening to these bands. sad but still cool for me. I did rock Slanted and Enchanted hard today. trebly noi8sy guitars in effect. FuK Yea!!

"sun comes up, skies won't sink my soul"
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2016, 08:28 PM   #47929
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
sonic youth
pavement
velvet underground
the beatles

all my teenage heroes. well besides nervarna. lately listening to all the others. im old enough now to say it's a nostalgic thing. sometimes I have dreams of listening to these bands and it sounds cooler than actually listening to these bands. maybe because I don't have enough time anymore or burnout on listening to these bands. sad but still cool for me. I did rock Slanted and Enchanted hard today. trebly noi8sy guitars in effect. FuK Yea!!

"sun comes up, skies won't sink my soul"

I don't often smoke pot, but when I do, I listen to fuckin' S&E.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2016, 08:29 PM   #47930
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
WELL, that's like saying Sonic Youth weren't particularly original because before them there were the Velvets and Mars and The Fall and whatnot. (Come to think of it, that's more like saying SY weren't particularly original because before them there were Zappa [yech] and The Fugs). Like Sonic Youth, Can were more than a portal band and more than a straight synthesis of their influences. Scores of "experimental" German acts from the '60s and '70s made interesting contributions but none of them could come up with "Mushroom", son.

As for NWW, the list featured on Chance Meeting included some mighty bitchen acts indeed, but as Simon Reynolds noted, "In some ways Nurse With Wound are the world's longest-running Faust tribute band, their aesthetic based on the same principles as that group's most celebrated album, The Faust Tapes". So not Primal Scream, but...

Must spread some rep around...
Old 05.06.2016, 08:40 PM   #47931
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I don't often smoke pot, but when I do, I listen to fuckin' S&E.

smoking lots of pot and doing shrooms listening to Pavement gave me synesthesia. S&E in particular. no joke/shit. I could visualize chords much better after that. like, relate guitar tones to colors. S&E is straight up gold when melodic. fuzz could be gold or white noise. cymbal splashes are always gold. other music became rainbow like. others did not. or others became evil self cathartic.

oh S&E. walking down nice neighbor hoods on a sunny day with the Walkman. it's bad ass. get it on vinyl. Gary Young will rock your world.
Old 05.08.2016, 05:11 PM   #47932
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
smoking lots of pot and doing shrooms listening to Pavement gave me synesthesia. S&E in particular. no joke/shit. I could visualize chords much better after that. like, relate guitar tones to colors. S&E is straight up gold when melodic. fuzz could be gold or white noise. cymbal splashes are always gold. other music became rainbow like. others did not. or others became evil self cathartic.

oh S&E. walking down nice neighbor hoods on a sunny day with the Walkman. it's bad ass. get it on vinyl. Gary Young will rock your world.

I have S&E on vinyl, man... who do you think you're talking to here? Someone who *doesn't* spend obscene amounts of money on music? Someone who *isn't* an obsessive compulsive music collector? I also have it on freaking cassette, and twice on CD twice if you count Luxe & Reduxe.

I hear you though. I had a very similar experience, only with Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. The first time I ever tripped — like, got so goddamn high that I questioned the laws of physics and forgot my fucking name — I was jamming CR, CR.

I think I was 17.. maybe 18. I'd done a lot of drugs at this point, including more than a couple different hallucinogens, but this was the first time I really got there, you know? My first really intense, mind fuck experience. And Crooked Rain helped me keep my sanity. It was a source of total comfort that anchored me during an unbelievably powerful mushroom trip.

I think that might have been something of a major turning point in my life, actually. I might have lost my shit, but for the soothing, joyous vibe of that record and how familiar it was to me. Come to think of it, I probably kept doing drugs because of Pavement. If things had gone south, I don't think I would have ever had any interest in doing that again. So Pavment may actually be indirectly responsible for severalt years' of stupid, dangerous and illegal behavior on my part. Hmm...

Oh well. Worth it!
Old 05.08.2016, 06:18 PM   #47933
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Old 05.08.2016, 08:45 PM   #47934
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

nww are so much better than this would imply though...can fully get on board with stapleton copping faust's approach to sound which in itself to me always aligned pretty heavily with concrète, but they have put out far too many gargantuan records over such a long period of time to be discounted as a tribute band. really don't think any band can touch them despite the hordes of imitators, and live they're an absolute force. saw them playing a set with atilla csihar which was incredible, they've never allowed the dadaist approach to overshadow their music, a trap to which so many have fallen prey.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2016, 08:44 AM   #47935
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
nww are so much better than this would imply though...can fully get on board with stapleton copping faust's approach to sound which in itself to me always aligned pretty heavily with concrète, but they have put out far too many gargantuan records over such a long period of time to be discounted as a tribute band. really don't think any band can touch them despite the hordes of imitators, and live they're an absolute force. saw them playing a set with atilla csihar which was incredible, they've never allowed the dadaist approach to overshadow their music, a trap to which so many have fallen prey.

What an excellent reply! I myself was thinking about the total volume of output from NWW, but you did a much better job of putting it into words. I've never had the opportunity to see them live and I doubt I ever will, but I am a fan!!!
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2016, 07:14 PM   #47936
pepper_green
Banned

Elvis. de old Presley.
Old 05.15.2016, 08:37 PM   #47937
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Elvis. de old Presley.

Ye Olde Presley.

Old 05.15.2016, 08:43 PM   #47938
Severian
invito al cielo

I'm listening to motherfuckjng Chance the Rapper and feeling kickass! (Actually I'm on like 2 hour of sleep in the past two days, and my herniated disc is acting up, so I actually feel like shit that's been eaten and vomited back up — or vomit that's been eaten an shat back out, depending on your preference — but Chance + painkillers and muscle relaxants is doing something nice.
Old 05.16.2016, 10:52 AM   #47939
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qacaykelROU
pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2016, 11:20 AM   #47940
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony

Oh man, what a great album. Not one I can really handle emotionally anymore, but certainly Built to Spill's best.
1897229723472387239423952396 2397 239823992400240724472497 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth