Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Aphex Twin
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of the great braindance shaman?
He's a true musical ubergenius 21 50.00%
Most of his stuff's good, but some of it does my head in 7 16.67%
Some of his stuff's good, but most of it does my head in 6 14.29%
He's OK, nothing special. I'm indifferent, really 4 9.52%
Not my thing at all. Does my head in a bit 0 0%
He sucks. All of his stuff totally does my head in 1 2.38%
Who? 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03.22.2006, 07:46 PM   #21
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietzer123
what exactly do you mean by "does your head in" hip priest?

It's a British thing, I suppose. It means annoys, irritates etc.

I never thought of that.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 08:08 PM   #22
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Hip Priest - I'm glad you're here on the new board.

I haven't been posting much because I've been writing a paper. It is due tomorrow, so I'll probably be on here more this weekend.

about Apex Twin - I think he is really great. There is a possibility that he will be studied considerably in future and that his music will continue to gain in reputation.

I think electronic music is very fertile ground for musical invention. And Aphex Twin has taken advantage of this a good bit.

Avril 14th is indeed beautiful. Have you noticed how the next track, Mt. Saint Michel Mix+St. Michaels Mount, sort of develops the music from Avril 14th? Somtimes I like to play just the two of them together.

I have a friend at school here who is a doctoral student and he wrote his master's thesis on IDM. There is a lot of interesting stuff going on there.

Hip Priest, have you heard Cage's Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano before? Stuff like Avril 14th and Jynweythek Ylow and Strotha Tynhe sound like prepared piano and remind me of the Sonatas and Interludes. I think they're better than the Aphex Twin, though...

Later, back to the paper.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 08:16 PM   #23
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Hip Priest - I'm glad you're here on the new board.

Awww, thanks dude. It's always nice to see you logged in. I was actuaaly just thinking of PMing you, as I hadn't seen you here yet. 'Seen', what do I mean? Seen you logged in!

Quote:
I haven't been posting much because I've been writing a paper. It is due tomorrow, so I'll probably be on here more this weekend.

I've been around a lot since the board went up - yesterday I just refused to do much work, and today was a day off.

Quote:
about Aphex Twin - I think he is really great. There is a possibility that he will be studied considerably in future and that his music will continue to gain in reputation.

I think electronic music is very fertile ground for musical invention. And Aphex Twin has taken advantage of this a good bit.

Avril 14th is indeed beautiful. Have you noticed how the next track, Mt. Saint Michel Mix+St. Michaels Mount, sort of develops the music from Avril 14th? Somtimes I like to play just the two of them together.

HE is quite possibly the coolest person on the planet. I hadn't noticed the Avril/St Michel thing at all, no, I must confess. but I will do as you advise. Great tip.

Quote:
I have a friend at school here who is a doctoral student and he wrote his master's thesis on IDM. There is a lot of interesting stuff going on there.

Hip Priest, have you heard Cage's Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano before? Stuff like Avril 14th and Jynweythek Ylow and Strotha Tynhe sound like prepared piano and remind me of the Sonatas and Interludes. I think they're better than the Aphex Twin, though...

Later, back to the paper.

No, again, but I check out all of your recommendations, so I shall. In return, let me ask if you have heard the LP by an American orchestra were they cover some Aphex Twin tracks? I haven't, I'd love to know if it's good!

See you soon.

Edit: hope the paper goes well.

Old 03.23.2006, 03:49 PM   #24
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know a lot of Aphex Twins tracks but I enjoyed albums I heard...

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 12:14 PM   #25
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Thought I'd show you this, which I picked up this week - it's the cover for a cassette promo of the 'Classics' LP. Slightly different track listing to my CD.

Old 03.25.2006, 12:44 PM   #26
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Who?
I've never listened to Aphex Twin before...
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 12:50 PM   #27
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
yes, avril 14th is lovely, too... i remember i loved it when i first heard it on a compilation CD given with a magazine, with tracks from forthcoming albums... i would listen to that CD only for avril 14th.

i think i prefer nannou, though!
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 12:51 PM   #28
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Who?
I've never listened to Aphex Twin before...

Well then, sir, get ye to approximately thirty percent of the way down page one of this thread, where you will see that I have provided a link to a 1997 radio interview, with several of his tracks contained therein, for your perusal and edification.

Old 03.26.2006, 06:32 AM   #29
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Is he, as I believe, a true musical ubergenius, or am I falling for a scam?

I'm not sure if I like his production that much. He might have been really innovative in times of '95 or so and set direction for much of today's IDM electronica, I just simply don't like his tunes.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 04:59 PM   #30
soniczev
empty page

soniczev has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
It has been said before but the Richard D James album is absolutely his best.
Old 03.26.2006, 05:44 PM   #31
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniczev
It has been said before but the Richard D James album is absolutely his best.

It's a masterpiece of an LP, that's true.
'Girl/Boy Song' is phenomenal.

Old 04.04.2006, 02:14 PM   #32
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Someone has put a 10 minute audience film of him on YouTube, right here.

Thought you may like to know.

Old 04.04.2006, 05:16 PM   #33
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Dont really know if he's a genius.I like some of his stuff but he is way overrated as a musician.Some stuff of his could have easily been done by Raymond Scott hundreds of years ago

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 06:57 AM   #34
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
...He did a fantastic set of eleven 12"s recently called 'Analord', under the name AFX. They can be bought as 12"s or as downloads. Also, 10 of the best are being released on CD later in the year called 'Chosen Lords'...

Got an email from Braindance yesterday:

Yo!

Hope u r cool, this is a quick burst from rephlex master control…

...Yep all massive all crew, the album has dropped, "Chosen Lords" is out on CD now and vinyl still available from our distributors SRD (UK), Forced Exposure, JVC, La Baleine, Neuton/Rough Trade, Lowlands, Good Fellas, Inertia… a juicy digipack full of tastey braindance! Go on, give it some!...

Old 04.28.2006, 06:16 AM   #35
e.if.ix
empty page

e.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's asses
afx is my electronic sonic youth and vice versa
one of his best is probably polynomial C
you can find it here
its number 'g2' in the jukebox
Old 04.28.2006, 01:20 PM   #36
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
i like it but there aren't many songs that make me go crazy... maybe i've been listening to the wrong songs.
Old 04.28.2006, 02:07 PM   #37
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp-arse
...I read somewhere, forget where now, that that particular piano peice (recorded/created by computer program) is impossible for a single human to play as it consists of so many parts. Not stunning when you consider most music on record is impossible for one man to play, but when you dont think about it, at the age of 17, it is....yes
...& not stunning or impressive at all considering that Frank Zappa made an electronic album impossible for human musicians to play way back in 1986 with Jazz From Hell.

what about musicians that play actual instruments like no other human can play like Bud Powell or Art Tatum on piano? or John Coltrane's later tenor or even some of his earlier alto saxophone playing?

I don't like to listen or dance to techno, no matter how "innovative" & "creative" it supposedly is, although I do admit that Aphex Twin's music is far more listenable than most techno house/dance or ambient electronic stuff. David Bowie's electronic works are okay, because they also feature his distinct voice. Call me old fashioned, if you must. In addition to many bands I could go on to enumerate, I like a tribal drum sound or even actual African mbira music for dancing. I think I'm old enough to remember the disco era & the defrocking of real music more than most of you. On one last quasi-related note, when Thurston was asked about electronic music in a SPIN interview, he stated that he absoutely detested everything about NIN & found some of Elastica "interesting." I don't know why he complemented Elastica because they always ripped off their own songs; Maybe that's what interested him... haha.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2006, 08:17 AM   #38
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
...& not stunning or impressive at all considering that Frank Zappa made an electronic album impossible for human musicians to play way back in 1986 with Jazz From Hell.

what about musicians that play actual instruments like no other human can play like Bud Powell or Art Tatum on piano? or John Coltrane's later tenor or even some of his earlier alto saxophone playing?

I don't like to listen or dance to techno, no matter how "innovative" & "creative" it supposedly is, although I do admit that Aphex Twin's music is far more listenable than most techno house/dance or ambient electronic stuff. David Bowie's electronic works are okay, because they also feature his distinct voice. Call me old fashioned, if you must. In addition to many bands I could go on to enumerate, I like a tribal drum sound or even actual African mbira music for dancing. I think I'm old enough to remember the disco era & the defrocking of real music more than most of you. On one last quasi-related note, when Thurston was asked about electronic music in a SPIN interview, he stated that he absoutely detested everything about NIN & found some of Elastica "interesting." I don't know why he complemented Elastica because they always ripped off their own songs; Maybe that's what interested him... haha.
no chance of dancing to Gloria Gaynor with you then atari

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2006, 11:56 AM   #39
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I do like techno/electronica, and I like a lot of his work, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him a genius. He's obviously extremely good at what he does, and is definitely innovative, but there are a lot of great electronic artists out there. And there's a big difference between compositional talent and physical skill. I don't know how techno artists perform live, but as far as recordings go they are definitely compositional. Bands that play instruments are physical (though they do need some level of basic composition, too). Two completely different arts.

The truly brilliant artists are the ones who do both. John Coltrane, Steve Vai, Frank Zappa, Miles Davis - you know. I don't like Zappa much, but you can't deny his ability.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2006, 12:23 PM   #40
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Avril 14th is good. Gymnopedie No. 1, anyone?
And I can only say one thing.
SAW 85-92.
I can never tire of that album.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth