Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Modifying an effects pedal.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.29.2006, 11:26 PM   #1
TerrorTwilight
empty page

TerrorTwilight is just really niceTerrorTwilight is just really niceTerrorTwilight is just really niceTerrorTwilight is just really niceTerrorTwilight is just really nice
I know nothing about circuit bending or modifying electronics, but I really want to take a cheap boss or dod guitar pedal and modify it so it just creates some kind of odd or interesting effect.
Does anyone have any experience in modding pedals? What kind of tools do I need and is it even worth the effort to undertake such a project?
Thanks guys.
TerrorTwilight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2006, 12:05 AM   #2
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I have seen books about it, but have only done one small mod...SpectralJulianIsNotDead surely has some knowledge.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2006, 01:09 AM   #3
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
there are whole websites on this, like www.experimentalistsanonymous.com

To do simple bending, all you need is a 9 volt battery, a 30 watt soldering iron with a good fine tip, and some solder, and some rubber shielded relatively thin gauge electrical wire. It is also best to try to bend pedals that don't have those tiny tiny surface mount circuit boards with a lot of stuff on them, because it is harder to solder onto small components.

Basically, what you do is you put a 9v into it, connect a sound source to the input, and then connect the pedal to the amplifier. DON'T USE A POWER SUPPLY, you could fry the pedal, or maybe even yourself.

Now, you want to open the pedal up so you can see all those solder points on the bottom side of the board. Then you want to take a wire and systematically look for places that make cool noises by connecting two solder points. Stay away from the solder joints where the power supply connects, and where the switch connects, because it will likely do nothing. Look for caps, diodes, resistors, and transistors mainly.

Once you find a connection you really like, either remember it, or mark it with a marker. Then solder those two points together, then plug it in again and make sure you soldered good.

If you don't want the bend always on, you can on/off flipswitches at radioshack, on/off buttons, and momentary on buttons. By correctly wiring them inbetween two points on a bend, you can use the switch to turn it on or off.

There is a bunch of other stuff you can do of course, but that is just to get you started.

Here is another good place to learn about circuit bending:
http://www.anti-theory.com/soundart/circuitbend/
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2006, 05:29 AM   #4
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
I made many mod on pedals (wha, delays, overdrive, chorus, fuzz) you should start follow the mod cited in some websites and then try new things but it's not easy to find good sounds. I currently use a couple of mod pedals just with some mod made by good technicians. for ex I built a tube screamer JRC and then I added a diode for an asymmetrical distortion cause it sounds more groovy and I like more.

good luck and have fun!
Old 11.30.2006, 06:19 AM   #5
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorTwilight
I know nothing about circuit bending or modifying electronics, but I really want to take a cheap boss or dod guitar pedal and modify it so it just creates some kind of odd or interesting effect.
Does anyone have any experience in modding pedals? What kind of tools do I need and is it even worth the effort to undertake such a project?
Thanks guys.
#

i have fuck all of an idea but i love yr user name Mr TerrorTwilight

rock on the Pave..
Old 12.10.2006, 05:16 AM   #6
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/stuff/index.html
Scroll down until you find the nintendo muff. It's fuckin insane!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth