Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page AUTOGRAPHS!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.11.2009, 09:05 PM   #1
mattmacneil
little trouble girl

mattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's asses
Does anyone know what the band is like when it comes to signing stuff/getting photos?

at Massey Hall, most performers are greeted by fans at the back door and they sign things. Do you think they would be down for that or are they more standoffish?
mattmacneil is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2009, 09:09 PM   #2
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
depends on what mood they're in. i never asked for autographs, just for pictures

i approached thurston and steve in hoboken. thurston was pretty cool and didn't mind taking a pic. steve was just a fucking cool guy, i think he always is. lee was awesome as well, he even asked me for my name when i forgot to give it to him

i've never approached kim. my friend did, and she told me she was kind of a jerk. she lives up to her reputation.
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2009, 09:19 PM   #3
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
i've never approached kim. my friend did, and she told me she was kind of a jerk. she lives up to her reputation.

I think that's pretty unfair. Unless you're famous, you really don't know what it's like to have all those eyes on you. She's probably just very shy.
Old 05.11.2009, 09:21 PM   #4
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
I think that's pretty unfair. Unless you're famous, you really don't know what it's like to have all those eyes on you. She's probably just very shy.

yea you're right. i take that back..

they're just a group of nice people pretty much
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2009, 09:24 PM   #5
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
I wish I could meet them
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2009, 09:25 PM   #6
mattmacneil
little trouble girl

mattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's asses
Lee Ranaldo stirkes me as a wicked cool guy. I am dying to get a picture with him. My shotty teenage dream will be fulfilled.
mattmacneil is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 09:18 AM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
after shows you should hang out because at the very least, steve will come out to talk to fans. Ussually thurston and lee come too unless they are busy with something, but steve is always down.

They are cool about signing things as well.
Steve signed my sonic nurse shirt. He came out the back of the venue and a security guard tried to keep him from heading to the mass of fans standing respectfully away, and he pointed at us and said something like "those are my peope." and the guard understood. he was cool as fuck.
Old 05.12.2009, 09:25 AM   #8
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
ive heard nothing but good reports about kim and lee..ive never met them but i know they dont go into too much fan meet and greet shit. but they do certainly make themselves available in a very non rock satr way. i met steve a few years back wandering around after they played..he stood and spoke to me and my mate for about 30 minutes...damn nice... i met thurston before one of his solo shows, he was again sound out but he was in arush so a fleeting conversation but i got both of em to sign my syr4 so now the hunt for the remainder is on!

i mean they are simply human, go up to them if you see em and say hi, be cool and they will be cool back...scream and shout and wave your arms like a schoolgirl and they will probably run away...i know i would....
Old 05.12.2009, 09:26 AM   #9
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I've spoken to Kim a couple of times. It wasn't a long conversation, but it was a good experience - she's nice. People who say otherwise were probably intimidated to begin with and so didn't give her much to go on.

Mark kicks ass. Meeting him is a fantastic experience, and I'd love to have him be my cool uncle.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I've never met Steve, but when I met Thurston, Kim and Lee on the 04 Nurse Tour, they were all friendly and accomodating, considering they had cabs waiting for them and everything.

Another time I've met Lee and he was a bit less friendly, but I was probably in his way because he looked like he had somewhere to go, so nevermind.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 09:37 AM   #11
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
i met mark in dublin before the pavement gig in 92 or 3. the day of crcr release.... i was very drunk and young and now i wish i wasnt.... i also asked steve to get me a gary young shirt..he laughed in a friendly fuck off away from me way!
Old 05.12.2009, 09:40 AM   #12
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
I've never been big on autographs.

Pictures are cool.

Generally, I'm just happy to meet them.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 10:54 AM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
autographs rule bexcause they remind of the occassion.

Old 05.12.2009, 11:41 AM   #14
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I'm not a fan of autographs, but as Rob says on some occasions it's really nice to get something "meaningful" signed.
I love my sensational fix poster with autographs and when I met Lee the day after the miniparty (I didn't run into him the opening night) at the exhibition he was really nice, my felt tip pen wouldn't work and he took one out from his pocket and signed the poster Which is even cooler, since it's the only signature in blue color (which, for whatever reason, it's the color I associate him with).
Kinda lame post, sorry.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 12:00 PM   #15
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
I have met Thurston, Kim, Lee, Steve & Jim and every experience kicked ass, I've even gotten backstage twice...

Thurston and Lee I have met quite a few times now and had the opportunity to have actual conversations with them. They are wonderful! Jim hung out with us for a good 20+ mins after a show once.

I have everyones autographs and various pics with them...

At Thurstons solo 'Trees' show they actually called my friend and I backstage to take pics with Thurston becuz of my DIY shirt.
Thurston stuff:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...thurston+trees

At Lee's solo 'Rock Paper Scissors' performance, him and Mike Watt were all smiles and spoke a lot about the art exhibit with me and my friend.
Lee stuff:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...=lee+spaceland

All of them are down to earth, kind-hearted people who have not let fame jade them. Sonic love/Sonic life/etc.

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 12:23 PM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05.12.2009, 01:51 PM   #17
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them hanging outside venues a few times but usually didn't dare to speak with them. The first time i talked to them was in 2002. They all signed my copy of the terrastock single. jim was surprised i asked for his autograph too.
On Thurston's ATP sonicl forced me to talk to Steve who was cool to ignore my embarrassment. I did get an atp backstage pass from Lee but was to shy to speak with them.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 02:29 PM   #18
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
I've met Lee twice and he's really friendly. I chatted with him for about 20 minutes but I was so impressed I was just kissing his ass all of the time. "Hey man I loved the gig, I was at the front row!" I could see him thinking "Yeah sure kiddo good for you". He's a nice guy though.
I talked to Thurston too but he wasn't that friendly. But I think that's because they were about to leave and they were in a hurry.
Old 05.12.2009, 02:34 PM   #19
sl1ck
little trouble girl

sl1ck kicks all y'all's assessl1ck kicks all y'all's assessl1ck kicks all y'all's assessl1ck kicks all y'all's assessl1ck kicks all y'all's assessl1ck kicks all y'all's assessl1ck kicks all y'all's assessl1ck kicks all y'all's assessl1ck kicks all y'all's assessl1ck kicks all y'all's assessl1ck kicks all y'all's asses
A friend of mine attended a Lee spoken-word gig and ended up meeting Lee. He got to talk with Lee for several minutes and Lee gave him a signed sheet of poetry.

sl1ck is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 02:51 PM   #20
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I spoke to Lee twice - once very briefly and once for a longer time (well, it was mostly greenlight who did most of the talking, I was too busy keeping the saliva inside my mouth). He was very cool and friendly and at ease at both occassions. Then once I asked Thurston and Kim to take a picture with me at the Roundhouse show, for which I have to thank sonicl as it was him who forced me to run into them and ask them for a picture.
And last time I shook Thurston's hand and got a book autographed by him.
I live a dynamic life.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth