Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page asp's classic albums # 51: bride of no no - s/t
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.17.2008, 08:44 AM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

BRIDE OF NO NO "S/T"
Atavistic, 2003

Forcedexposure description: "Azita's Bride Of No No have delivered their magnum opus to date with this, their untitled second album. Their deconstructive sonic stance now collides head-on with their newly discovered (and surprisingly overt) desire to atonally hook you into senseless submission. A quick history lesson, redux: Revered authentics of Chicago's mid-90's 'NOW Wave' scene, The Scissor Girls made what some would consider to be the ultimate upstart school musical statement. In the hearts and minds of many -- including The New York Fucking Times, the Scissor Girls are held in similar esteem to legends such as The Slits, Au Pairs, Mars and The Contortions. As with all the best musical collectives, their time would be very short before calling it a day. Fast forward to 1999: an atonal phoenix rises from the ashes -- and slowly, imperceptibly, clandestinely -- and Bride Of No No is born. Their 2001 Atavistic debut, B.O.N.N. Apetit! won rave reviews with their gauze-shrouded 'uniforms' and the record's strangely discordant yet compelling riffs."

I love this record! Imagine King Crimson and DNA collaborating or something. Avant progressive rock meets a very very pure no wave sound. Very strange and epic record, with 10 minute songs, insane guitar interplay with some of the weirdest riffs ever recorded, and wailing vocals that out-Lydia Lunch Lydia Lunch herself. Strange poetic lyrics and a lot of pianos (!) round out the mix. A brilliant record. Produced by Steve Albini, mixed by Jim O'Rourke.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2008, 09:59 AM   #2
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
good call, I havnt listened to Bride of No No in forever, what do you think about Azita's solo shit?
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2008, 10:00 AM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Haha I heard one Azita solo album and it was an interesting departure from her normal stuff but it also bored me a bit. Will have to listen again one day.

Old 11.17.2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I've never heard of this... will listen soon enough.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 04:10 PM   #6
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
i can't find it online.

yes, i turned to downloading stuff because its freaking impossible to find stuff in record stores
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 04:13 PM   #7
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I'm sure a lot of people here download music.
Old 11.19.2008, 04:18 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

soulseek man.

Old 11.19.2008, 04:18 PM   #9
Derek
invito al cielo

Yeah.

Soulseek.

Best way to download music!
Old 11.19.2008, 05:00 PM   #10
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
You should do a "Asp Classic Albums Special Edition: Classic Albums that have Azita On Them", and do classic albums for the Scissor Girls "We People Space with Phantoms", which to me is the second best album to have ever come out of the very great and sorely missed Chicago No Wave scene in the early 90s (the albums its second to, US Maple-Long Hair ion Three Stages), Miss High Heel's "The Family's Hot Daughter" which is one of the most fucked up albums I've ever heard, I always want to listen to it and yet I rarely can ever finish it, its 80 minutes long of total chaos, and not controlled chaos like Naked City or something, all out chaos with dueling shrieked vocals by Tom Smith and Magas and death metal samples and a skronk, no, skronk doesnt sum it up, i dont, ridiculously fucked up horn section, blah blah, point is, Azita was in the band. And then of course there are plenty more records to choose from, cmon thius would be great, Azita week on the SY board!
Old 11.19.2008, 05:01 PM   #11
batreleaser
invito al cielo

my soulseek is fucked up, I've been trying to download some Reynols cdr's and every time one song is done it alerts me that I am "Awaiting User" whatever the fuck that shit means, to me it just means "Your computer is a piece of shit and you will not listen to Reynols today because of it".
Old 11.19.2008, 05:02 PM   #12
sarramkrop

how can you miss a scene you were too young to be part of?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 05:07 PM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
how can you miss a scene you were too young to be part of?

I like how when you're too young for something a 'scene' actually exists. Like 'the grunge scene'. If there was one, it was four people in a smelly bar in the middle of no-where. Certainly wasn't a global phenomenon (I imagine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 05:10 PM   #14
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
my soulseek is fucked up, I've been trying to download some Reynols cdr's and every time one song is done it alerts me that I am "Awaiting User" whatever the fuck that shit means, to me it just means "Your computer is a piece of shit and you will not listen to Reynols today because of it".

ubu web has some mp3's, if you wanna check them out.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 05:13 PM   #15
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I like how when you're too young for something a 'scene' actually exists. Like 'the grunge scene'. If there was one, it was four people in a smelly bar in the middle of no-where. Certainly wasn't a global phenomenon (I imagine).

There's an interesting thread going on another forum that elucidates many of the myths about rock 'scenes'.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 05:17 PM   #16
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Oh let's not have this scene conversation, It's just an easy way of grouping together bands with similar ideas that come from a similar area, sometimes they actually have a unifying sound, but admittedly, usually not. Who cares?
Old 11.19.2008, 05:20 PM   #17
sarramkrop

those who miss them, i suppose?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 05:43 PM   #18
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
it only means the guy you're downloading this from has LOGGED OFF, so it's stopped. Nothing to do with yr gear.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth