Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Albums Massacred by Engineering?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.18.2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
In the age of remastered classics, provide a list of albums that have been massacred by engineering. I'll start: PJ Harvey's 'Rid of Me' was butchered by Steve Albini. The engineering is so muddy and flat that is chokes all of the dynamics out of PJ Harvey's masterpiece. She was smart to release '4-Track Demos', as it demonstrates the power of her song-writing and, more importantly, her performance. I reach for '4-Track Demos' 9 out of 10 times over 'Rid of Me'. I'd LOVE to hear a remastered version of 'Rid of Me'...
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2012, 11:23 AM   #2
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Um, RID OF ME is my favorite PJ album, mostly because I love the raw, live, in-your-faceness of the recording.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Big Black and Shellac rule but Albini is such a shitty producer.

Sorry, 'engineer'.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2012, 03:01 PM   #4
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
But he's such a sweet, gentle man.

By the way, has anyone ever noticed that Eno's records sound like shit? What dumbfuck recorded those? Just kidding about that too.

But really, contender for worst recording in the history of the world has to be S-K's THE WOODS. Years later, I'm still pissed at the terrible, terrible choices made on what could've been one of their best albums.
Old 09.18.2012, 03:18 PM   #5
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
But he's such a sweet, gentle man.

By the way, has anyone ever noticed that Eno's records sound like shit? What dumbfuck recorded those? Just kidding about that too.

But really, contender for worst recording in the history of the world has to be S-K's THE WOODS. Years later, I'm still pissed at the terrible, terrible choices made on what could've been one of their best albums.

The Woods is indeed one of my all-time worst, why didn't they just keep John Goodmanson? I would also like to nominate Radiohead The King of Limbs! Damn thing sounds like it was recorded under water, and the live versions like From the Basement are crackling with subtlety and nuance that is entirely lost in production
Hey, Steve can't win em all, but if I wanted him to record a gutted, ethereal punk album with crisp and not overpowering drum work and simple, live-feed distorted guitars, all balanced with good vocals, there is no one else BETTER than Steve.

Exhibit (a)

Exhibit (b)

Exhibit (c)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2012, 03:31 PM   #6
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno, I kind of liked the recording on King Of The Limbs. Lotus Tree and Bloom sound especially great.

As for Albini another great sounding album is Surfer Rosa. Very few people can get drums sound as good as he did.

Metallica's Death Magnetic album sounding frigging awful. There's evidence of why compression in music is a very thing bad thing.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2012, 03:42 PM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I dunno, I kind of liked the recording on King Of The Limbs. Lotus Tree and Bloom sound especially great.

On headphones yes, on the stereo no. I was listening to Feral Tree at the MTA stop waiting for the lightrail (the station is in the middle of a freeway) and with the cars passing by they began to sync up with the track, it honestly had me start tripping!

It seems it was produced for the small speaker sound, but I'm a ghetto-blasting Angeleno fo life

Old 09.19.2012, 04:11 AM   #8
Dude McDude
bad moon rising

Dude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's asses
Speaking of Nirvana, the production of Nevermind really is an overkill in polishing their sound. I like to think that Butch Vig tried to purge the shame with his lo-fi turn in producing EJSTNS.

the colony of unlimited power will pass a despot of hardly any man
Dude McDude is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Wow, we REALLY disagree. I've said it before and I'll say it again, based on the work he did on Sleater-Kinney's "The Woods", I think Sonic Youth should bring in Dave Fridmann to produce their new platter [if there IS one]. I LOVE the way that record sounds...live, raw, blown, and about to come off the tracks at any moment [see the jam section of 'Jumpers']. If Fridmann could capture SY's live energy on record it would simply be amazing.

"'Wilderness' and most of 'What's Mine Is Yours' sound like prime Sleater-Kinney, as does much of the rest of The Woods. Fridmann's presence is far from disruptive; you can hardly hear him in the mix, except for a little sludge in the low end-- a nice substitution for a bass player. Instead of weighing them down with single-mic'd Flaming Lips drums or Delgados density, he simply steps out of the way and allows them to sound larger, louder, and looser."
Old 09.19.2012, 09:24 AM   #10
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Quote:
Um, RID OF ME is my favorite PJ album, mostly because I love the raw, live, in-your-faceness of the recording.

Allow me to submit to you evidence of my opinion regarding Rid of Me versus 4-Track Demos. Just take a listen to the 4-Track Demos version of "Yuri G" and compare/contrast it to the Rid of Me version:

4-Track Demos "Yuri G" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKoyFZKVJR4

Rid of Me "Yuri G" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHI0Pnac91U

Now you tell me which version is more alive and vital. Face it, Albini blew it.
Old 09.19.2012, 10:12 AM   #11
evollove
invito al cielo

I face nothing.

I think both versions have their own charms. Thankfully we live in a world where I don't have to pick one over the other.

---

To each their own regarding THE WOODS.

All I can say is when I first got it, I thought I had recieved a damaged disc. I considered writing to the lable until I read a few reviews and learned that the awful, sucky, shitty, poopy, pissy sound was diliberate.
Old 09.19.2012, 03:03 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I face nothing.

I think both versions have their own charms. Thankfully we live in a world where I don't have to pick one over the other.

---

To each their own regarding THE WOODS.

All I can say is when I first got it, I thought I had recieved a damaged disc. I considered writing to the lable until I read a few reviews and learned that the awful, sucky, shitty, poopy, pissy sound was diliberate.

I agree, I also thought my first copy was defective (it was a download) until I bought a legit copy and found the same troubles.

Old 09.19.2012, 05:05 PM   #13
evollove
invito al cielo

^

Dude, let's hook up, find the master tape, steal it and see what we can salvage.

You down?
Old 09.19.2012, 05:07 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
^

Dude, let's hook up, find the master tape, steal it and see what we can salvage.

You down?

Or we could wait a decade for them to re-master and re-release it like Carrie did on her NPR blog back in 2009 for the extended cuts that weren't released on The Spells Age of Backwards original EP

Old 09.19.2012, 05:24 PM   #15
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
The sound on The Woods is deliberate. If you can't even get that, you are morons of the highest order.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2012, 05:58 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
The sound on The Woods is deliberate. If you can't even get that, you are morons of the highest order.

Oh, we've already conceded it was intentional, however that doesn't negate how intentionally crappy it is.. There is a world of difference between a low-fi sound and pure shit mixing

Old 09.19.2012, 06:23 PM   #17
evollove
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

Oh, I see!

I just thought there was something wrong with the studio's control board.

Never mind. THE WOODS sounds great.
Old 09.20.2012, 10:08 AM   #18
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
i'm down with the woods

but rid of me and in utero are great albums that sound stupid as hell
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2012, 10:35 AM   #19
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Quote:
I face nothing.

PJ Harvey's words..."4-Track Demos...was partly encouraged by Steve Albini. He loved the demos for that album so much he thought they should be out there and I tended to agree with him."

THANK GOD AND THANK PJ!!
Old 09.23.2012, 01:19 PM   #20
evollove
invito al cielo

^ So releasing the 4-tracks was Albini's idea?

Can we now admit he's a genius?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth