Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page DDN vs. Radiohead's The Bends
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Daydream Nation vs. The Bends (by Radiohead)
Daydream Nation 64 94.12%
The Bends 6 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12.14.2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
The folks over at the most prominent Radiohead message board have put up a poll for DDN vs. The Bends (they could have at least chose Kid A or OK Computer). The results here will not be surprising but I thought in all fairness it would be appropriate.
Here's the link to the poll, but you have to be a member to view.
http://www.ateaseweb.com/mb/index.ph...opic=235029107

For the record, DDN by a mile for me (and it's currently winning...on a RH message board!).
Old 12.14.2007, 04:39 PM   #2
to.w
children of satan

to.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's asses
what's the point? The Bends is Radiohead's shittiest album, so...

myhand.thanx records
to.w is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2007, 04:40 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Is this a joke?

The Bends isn't even in the same universe as Daydream Nation.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2007, 04:43 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I'd take, say, Kid A over DDN.

But I'd take Sister and Confusion over Kid A.

Why compare Radiohead and SY? Radiohead are overrated and boring and have like 1 great album and perhaps 2 really good ones. Sonic Youth is infiintely better.

But again - what's the point of even comparing them? They're not even of the same genre.. in fact there's hardly anything similiar about the two.

Old 12.14.2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
But again - what's the point of even comparing them? They're not even of the same genre.. in fact there's hardly anything similiar about the two.

Agreed. But someone chose to compare them so I thought I'd bring it here. Like I said, the results will not be surprising.
Old 12.14.2007, 04:59 PM   #6
Neongod
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by to.w
what's the point? The Bends is Radiohead's shittiest album, so...

Not sure about that. Ever heard Pablo Honey in its entirety?
Old 12.14.2007, 05:06 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

They're both pretty bad honestly.

Either way...
I was a seeking out for a funnel. Not only magnets but I could pry bar it shut. Glueing my manhood turns a man off. Like peppy lepew the scent hey hey had a clutch. I got my diddly spayed. Hydraulic push of kitty assbutton. Tweeking and flexing if the wind blows just right. Tacky and thumbs on Polyester. Highwater jumpsuits and a raped ape. Then I take it back. I got my diddly spayed. I don't know why, I got a joke too silly to say. Don't trust the foams.. I got ... Dick dick hear my fucking hate! I got my diddly spayed. Vinegar and Water is gaining monthly. Fiberglass insulation disquised as cotton candy. Spanning down stream el Rancho ovulate. Feeding a cow hamburger and raw. Peter has brought me the tiki idol. Billys sneer reminds me of someone. Homesick a bay aboard the love boat. Toni Tenile Sonny Bono Charo had a nice set of lungs. I got my diddly spayed.

Old 12.14.2007, 05:15 PM   #8
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
HAHAHAHA

seriously... the Radiohead board is retarded for simply coming up with the idea to compare the two (just a joke, Rhead boardies! I don't want to spark Fall v. SY II). Radiohead are one of my favourite bands, but the Bends is shitty, and comparing it to Daydream nation... is a fucking insult.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2007, 09:03 PM   #9
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
In Utero
Old 12.15.2007, 05:34 AM   #10
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Those two albums are so different. ateaseweb is full of fanboy's anyway.
Old 12.15.2007, 05:57 AM   #11
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
In french Rock&Folk (probably the shittiest music newspaper ever), Thom Yorke has wrote an article this month - which you can read online, don't even imagine I buy such a crappy zine - about In Rainbows, and he says he has been influenced by Thurston Moore's tricks about tuning guitars (apparently they are on Thurston's site). I know it's not really accurate in this thread but I found that funny
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2007, 06:00 AM   #12
to.w
children of satan

to.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neongod
Not sure about that. Ever heard Pablo Honey in its entirety?

yep! I've heard and listened to each R. album from A to Z and I persist : The Bends is shitty. Pablo Honey was great when it was released (a bit old now), and the Bends was such a disappointment. Anyway, as everybody said, SY and R, even if they've often been compared to each other (we heard "radiohead is one of the most SY-influenced band"...), are not evolving in the same musical world. So let's not compare them... again, what was the point?

myhand.thanx records
to.w is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2007, 06:04 AM   #13
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Why compare Radiohead and SY? Radiohead are overrated and boring and have like 1 great album and perhaps 2 really good ones. Sonic Youth is infiintely better.

I love Radiohead as much as Sonic Youth. Regarding the poll DDN is off course far better, but if it was OK Computer instead of the Bends I might be undecided (as DDN and OK Computer both belong to my favorite records ever).
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2007, 06:05 AM   #14
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by to.w
The Bends is shitty.

Tastes differ but The Bends is not shitty at all to me (if only for Street spirit).
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2007, 06:25 AM   #15
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
They're both pretty bad honestly.

Either way...
I was a seeking out for a funnel. Not only magnets but I could pry bar it shut. Glueing my manhood turns a man off. Like peppy lepew the scent hey hey had a clutch. I got my diddly spayed. Hydraulic push of kitty assbutton. Tweeking and flexing if the wind blows just right. Tacky and thumbs on Polyester. Highwater jumpsuits and a raped ape. Then I take it back. I got my diddly spayed. I don't know why, I got a joke too silly to say. Don't trust the foams.. I got ... Dick dick hear my fucking hate! I got my diddly spayed. Vinegar and Water is gaining monthly. Fiberglass insulation disquised as cotton candy. Spanning down stream el Rancho ovulate. Feeding a cow hamburger and raw. Peter has brought me the tiki idol. Billys sneer reminds me of someone. Homesick a bay aboard the love boat. Toni Tenile Sonny Bono Charo had a nice set of lungs. I got my diddly spayed.

Do i smell that fucked-up retard, junky, untalented and so on cunt?
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2007, 01:49 PM   #16
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
The Bends has some really incredible, jaw-droppingly great moments, but there's a few bits like Bones, Bullet Proof, Black Star, and Sulk that just don't do anything for me. I find DDN to be gripping from start to finish.

I would take Kid A over DDN, though.
SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2007, 02:21 PM   #17
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
In Utero

Word.
Old 12.15.2007, 06:13 PM   #18
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
The Bends just about scrapes in as the 3rd best Radiohead album. Massively overrated in my eyes.
As such, i think theres 9 or 10 Sonic Youth albums better than it.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2007, 07:44 PM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

fuck radiohead.

Old 12.15.2007, 08:38 PM   #20
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Protectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's asses
stupid thread

what do you prefer, eating chocolate or wearing jeans?
Protectmeyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth