Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page listening experiment : ) EVOL & Sister
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.09.2013, 10:46 AM   #1
rocky
bad moon rising

rocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's asses
A few days ago I was thinking about how ineffable EVOL and Sister are as music-sound artwork with wonderfully idiosyncratic forms from song to song, from start to conclusion.

so, I had a listening experiment

Quote:
Tom violence
Schizophrenia
Shadow of a doubt
Catholic block
Star power
Beauty lies in the eye
In the kingdom #19
Stereo sanctity
Green light
Pipeline kill time
Death to our friends
Tuff gnarl
Secret girl
PCH
Marylin moore
Hot wire my heart
Expressway to yr skull
Kotton krown
White kross

It is one of the best surprises I've had with music. the songs are all dynamic companions! the already unique flow of the albums by themselves remains but while together. :0 hoping many people here will also really get into it!
rocky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2013, 10:57 AM   #2
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
I think alot of the songs do mesh together between these two albums but the production and recording quality are so different on them that it doesn't really work for me...

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
I think alot of the songs do mesh together between these two albums but the production and recording quality are so different on them that it doesn't really work for me...

that's true. kinda like listening to old KISS albums

but what the hell, i'll take a shot at it and check it out
Dr Chocolate is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
THE EVOL SISTER

so i did it. i managed to take that setlist, and add Bubblegum & Master-Dik and got it all together, with 2 small edits. 1 so small you wouldn't notice, and one so long that would you notice? what really freaks me out, is all i really did was tighten up the tracks so they go right into the other. and the 39+43=82minutes and change, down to just a little under 78 minutes. all 21 tracks

edit #1 - i cut off the last minute of Expressway To Your Skull and then pretty much took what was left and did a 1 minute fade out from what was left over.

edit #2 - i cut off the last 7 or 8 seconds of Master-Dik, but with the fade out, you dont even really notice what you are missing. which i think is either thurston laughing, or the sound of a guitar being unplugged.

even though i was just listening to it thru the shitty laptop speakers. but it seems to blend together really well. i dont really notice the difference in fidelity. so i wonder if the DGC cds were maybe remasterd to take some of that mid-lo-fi sound of Sister out or something.

this was more of seeing how well this works as a flow of the album itself. i even got a wicked 45 minute mix tape out of it as well, which i had to remaster side 2 of the tape and added 4 cuts from Daydream. but back to the cd...

yes, the track transfers that i managed to put together with just moving the files over enough to keep it going has really brought out some excellent transfers. its almost like these 2 albums really do go together like that. at first i thought, well, being as it would go 1-1 2-2 3-3 etc. i thought it wasn't going to be at all interesting, but holy shit!

as i know there is this policy about sharing files and songs and whatnots and in todays world, i wish i could share it online, but whatever. that's what snail mails all about right?

i dont FLAC or utorrent or anything like that
shit. i haven't even filmed me playing Schizo yet, but i might wait til the band gets together and then i will film that shit. i'd like to tweek out some guitars just for the hell of it for that song.
i'm lazy and broke. well, i'm out of discs and tapes
who listens to tapes anymore?
this one is pretty good.
side 2 starts with PCH
and contains the entire cd version of Expressway To Your Skull
Dr Chocolate is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2013, 04:34 PM   #5
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Chocolate
who listens to tapes anymore?

I do.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth