Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page When did you start Listening to the Youth?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.03.2008, 03:47 AM   #41
NicolįsD
empty page

NicolįsD kicks all y'all's assesNicolįsD kicks all y'all's assesNicolįsD kicks all y'all's assesNicolįsD kicks all y'all's assesNicolįsD kicks all y'all's assesNicolįsD kicks all y'all's assesNicolįsD kicks all y'all's assesNicolįsD kicks all y'all's assesNicolįsD kicks all y'all's assesNicolįsD kicks all y'all's assesNicolįsD kicks all y'all's asses
1999 (Im heighteen)

The first song i ever heard of Sy was... mmm TeenAgeRiot.

A cousin made me a mix tape with bleach and Daydream Nation.

I was nine. so... at first i did not know what the hell was going on.
Old 10.03.2008, 04:29 AM   #42
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
1984 I think. That's when I bought my first SY album, if memory serves.

Bad Moon Rising, still my favourite album of their's.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2008, 04:50 AM   #43
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Sandbag]
i'm a radiohead fan. i was reading about this b-side of 'em.. 'permanent daylight'.. it was supposed to be a tribute to sonic youth ... and it was a favourite.

so i got daydream nation and loved it... it just grew on me.. now theyre my fav band ever :P

hah, funny. Permanent Daylight has always been my favourite Radiohead song.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2008, 05:40 AM   #44
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by akprodr
Cool! you found a video two years before the album was released! How did you do that?

ha! ha! ha! magic!!! before it happens i already now!!! thanks! i wanna mean in the 90's!!!
diskaholic-anonymous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2008, 06:10 AM   #45
punkaspoo
children of satan

punkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's asses
In the year 2000. NYC Ghost & Flowers had just came out and I bought it just for curiosity. It was soo different what I've was used to hear so I fell in love.

punkaspoo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2008, 07:02 AM   #46
couch
little trouble girl

couch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
Living next to bullmoose is great, they had everything in stock at the time. I had to order Confusion online though.

Hey, I know where you live!

couch is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2008, 07:29 AM   #47
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Washing Machine
My new girlfirend was listening to that weird band with crazy gtrs and annoying noise.
i didn't have the choice but listen to WM all day long, every day.
That and Sebadoh's Harmacy.
I believe it took me about three weeks to buy all the regular LPs from then on.
wow
Old 10.03.2008, 07:55 AM   #48
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
My memory goes like this:

mid-90's I vividly remember seeing the "Dirty Boots" vid on 120 Minutes one night and the video (at the time, maybe more than the actual music honestly) blew my mind. It really stuck with me, because I was like 15 or so at the time and it seemed like... "oh man, I wish I went to parties like THAT!"

THEN when I was about 18, by chance I saw a used copy of the DIRTY BOOTS EP at a random used record store I was passing thru and I picked it up. And y'know, maybe live tracks arent the best way to get into a band at first, but I thought it was cool and really liked the title track.

About a year later this girl I briefly dated had SCREAMING FIELDS on CD and I was like "Wow, let me borrow this." So I borrowed it and rocked it in my car for weeks, and I remember thinking "I dont GET this music... but something about it is awesome... I cant stop listening to it." At that time "Kotton Krown" had become my favorite track.

Eventually I had to give the CD back, so that same day I went to ANOTHER random record store and found a used copy of MADE IN USA. I had no idea what I was getting into my friends, but I was officially addicted from then on.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2008, 08:08 AM   #49
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Tomorrow I'll start listening to them, I promise.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2008, 08:47 AM   #50
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Sister
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2008, 09:06 AM   #51
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
it was 1985, first year college and my newly found friend Wha gave me a tape with SY on one side and Swans on the other. He was managing this band called Dinosaur at the time.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2008, 09:20 AM   #52
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
when i was about 14 or 15 (like alot of you here) i adored nirvana. so after he kept name dropping sonic youth i checked em out. my mom worked at a hair & nail salon and i would always walk across the way to the used book & record store and browse for hours (started crate diggin early) till my mom was done doing the nails of the wives of the texas rangers players. so i saw a cassette of goo and thought "man, that looks kinda stupid". but, kurt said they were awesome, so they must be awesome. so like i usually did, i 5 finger discounted that thing, went next door to the cici's pizza and had lunch while i listened to my new tape. the tape hadn't been rewound so i put it on side a and just pushed play. turns out it was cue'd up to the end of mote. keep in mind i had no idea what so ever what SY sounded like at this point, all i knew was that kurt cobain liked em so i should check em out. so i'm sitting there eating my buffet pizza, having a sweet tea and listening to the trail end of mote. it was fucking weird. at first i thought there was something wrong w/ the cassette, but alas that was just the way it sounded. i fell in love. i couldn't believe music like this actually existed. i played it for all my friends (hell i played it for any one that sould listen), but no one got it. but i did, and that was all i cared about. after that, i looked forward to my weekends w/ my mom. i would eagerly run to the book & record store and steal any and everything i could get my hands on that had even the slightest bit to do w/ SY. i amassed pretty much all there albums up to that point, and when i got to high school i replaced em all w/ the cd's. and that was it, i was a sonic youth fan.
years later i went back to that used book & record store one winter when i was home on leave from the navy and spoke to the owner. i told him about how i stole cd's, tapes, magazines and lp's (not easy to steal by the way) from him constantly for close to 4 years and apologized and gave him $150. it was no where near what i owed him, but i don't hink he really cared. he remembered me and said he kinda figured i was stealing but he didn't have that many customers anyways so it never really bothered him. he was a stand up guy, and he totally got it.

that's how I got into Sonic Youth.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2008, 09:20 AM   #53
pedestrian
little trouble girl

pedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's assespedestrian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by repeater
This is probably very typical for a SY fan in his early 30s:

around 91 when I was 13-14. I friend of mine got some mixtapes that I copied, with punkrock and all the classic 80s stuff: SY, dinosaur, big black, black flag etc. All these bands kicked so much more ass the current favorites like Billy Idol (duh)

And then, of course, Nevermind came, and nirvana became like the BEST BAND EVER. So I based on what I heard on the mixtapes and Kurts t-shirts I bought Dirty when it came out, and that was record so noisy and rockin “It was the coolest record I“d ever heard! They where even cooler than nirvana...

I think this is pretty right on. I'm 29 and I'm not a big fan of Nirvana now, but when Smells Like Teen Spirit forced Guns n Roses off of MTV I was certainly one of the converted. I'd have to say Kurt was pretty instrumental in getting my generation into SY. Coincidentally, I've just been commissioned to contribute a short story to a book about the albums that changed our lives. I'm doing Dirty. But that was just a little self-promotion; not really on topic.
pedestrian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2008, 09:37 AM   #54
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedestrian
I think this is pretty right on. I'm 29 and I'm not a big fan of Nirvana now, but when Smells Like Teen Spirit forced Guns n Roses off of MTV I was certainly one of the converted. I'd have to say Kurt was pretty instrumental in getting my generation into SY. Coincidentally, I've just been commissioned to contribute a short story to a book about the albums that changed our lives. I'm doing Dirty. But that was just a little self-promotion; not really on topic.

that's fucking cool

I remember listening to Bleach and thinking it was cool but that it seemed so "simple" an dthen when I heard Nevermind it was like all the threads in Bleach had come together in the kind of anthemic ROCK that just wins people over instantly.
I do not listen to Nevermind much anymore but when i do it still hits.
Old 10.03.2008, 10:06 AM   #55
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
i was 12 and i read a review of dirty, bought it and never looked back! the next album i picked up was evol.

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2008, 11:07 AM   #56
al shabbray

I recognized them before, but my first album I really liked was "washing machine" short after its release. but it took some time till I really fall in love with them afterwards
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 02:04 AM   #57
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
A friend of mine was living at mine and had bought Sister and played non-stop for about 2-3 weeks, first time i heard it i hated it!, then when DDN came out i ,for some unknown reason bought it and liked it alot more, after that i bought Sister knew all the lyrics and everything subconciously or something and loved it the 2nd time round - bought every album since!.
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 05:11 AM   #58
to.w
children of satan

to.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's asses
Listened to Goo in 1992, then bought the first EP and the Dirty Boots EP. Thought Kim Gordon couldn't sing and that's what hooked me (such a difference between live and studio). Since then I bought every album.

myhand.thanx records
to.w is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 06:35 AM   #59
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
I saw the video to Sunday in 2005 when I was 18, I really liked it, I meant to get into them for a while because they are Brian Molko's favourite band, but after Sunday I just forgot, and then about a year and a half ago I really wanted a new favourite band so I bought Goo (I was confused at first), and gradually fell in love with it, and then bought Rather Ripped and Screaming Fields of Sonic Youth, it has taken a year and a half to work my way through most of their catalogue, I'm not finished yet lol.
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 09:18 AM   #60
couch
little trouble girl

couch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's assescouch kicks all y'all's asses
bmenu_register("postmenu_704549", true);
O'connor
the end of the ugly

Awesome recount! I guess when I first started listening to SY, I didn't find the tunings and noise to odd because I had been listening to a lot of old PIL, Bauhaus and Cure for years previous. I just really appreciated the off kilter approach SY used. It felt like there was a hole they were playing around.

couch is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth