Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.06.2017, 01:45 PM   #8441
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Swansea v Sunderland next week will be epic
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2017, 01:53 PM   #8442
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Swansea v Sunderland next week will be epic

As if Silva's home record got ended by fucking Sunderland

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2017, 02:27 PM   #8443
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Hull and Palace will be massive too. I thought Palace were looking OK but they collapsed today. Have you put a bet on the final bottom 3?
Old 05.06.2017, 02:56 PM   #8444
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hull and Palace will be massive too. I thought Palace were looking OK but they collapsed today. Have you put a bet on the final bottom 3?

Nah I haven't. The only bet I've put for the end of the season is Juventus and Man United to get to the finals. The relegation battle is too close to call for me.

So presuming Middlesbrough go down on Monday(?) I've no idea who will be the third team. Kinda leaning towards Hull, but god knows.

Real Madrid B-team totally battering Granada (#hello mother, hello father#) as expected. Kinda embarrassing to watch really.

Old 05.07.2017, 10:56 AM   #8445
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Watching MU v Arsenal right now. If MU win I think Liverppol's CL place will be gone. They were shocking against Southampton earlier. Heavy metal football played through some very worn out valves. Klopp in pure angry-face mode.
Old 05.07.2017, 02:56 PM   #8446
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
lolol. poor kloppo! yes, he runs out of ideas when his players wear out physically. it's like-- i'll just leave it at that.

i haven't watched bayern this weekend (though i will probably watch them vs rb leipzig the next one) but i am a bit meh about carletto's nouveau-freedom experiment. don't really understand what he's doing and i wouldn't mind a zonal marking article explaining it. which reminds me there was one article about bayern-dortmund from last december.

and the zonal marking guy has a book out apparently and has started posting again to promote the thing. or something.

i quit reading about football tactics for a while but i should probably do that again. since i'm getting organized at long last again. reading the transfer news doesn't provide the same level of satisfaction. at least not without a tactical context.

speaking of transfer news, bayern is poaching hoffenheim's best player. lol.

anyway i'm rambling ha ha ha
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2017, 03:39 PM   #8447
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
lolol. poor kloppo! yes, he runs out of ideas when his players wear out physically. it's like-- i'll just leave it at that.

i haven't watched bayern this weekend (though i will probably watch them vs rb leipzig the next one) but i am a bit meh about carletto's nouveau-freedom experiment. don't really understand what he's doing and i wouldn't mind a zonal marking article explaining it. which reminds me there was one article about bayern-dortmund from last december.

and the zonal marking guy has a book out apparently and has started posting again to promote the thing. or something.

i quit reading about football tactics for a while but i should probably do that again. since i'm getting organized at long last again. reading the transfer news doesn't provide the same level of satisfaction. at least not without a tactical context.

speaking of transfer news, bayern is poaching hoffenheim's best player. lol.

anyway i'm rambling ha ha ha

I've got that on order. Looking forward to reading it massively.

If you wanna learn more about tactics read the book that Michael Cos has cited as his main influence

Inverting the pyramid

It gets pretty heavy at times but totally worth a read

Old 05.07.2017, 03:40 PM   #8448
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

And Bayern poaching other players from the league? I'm SHOCKED.

Old 05.07.2017, 04:09 PM   #8449
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I've got that on order. Looking forward to reading it massively.

If you wanna learn more about tactics read the book that Michael Cos has cited as his main influence

Inverting the pyramid

It gets pretty heavy at times but totally worth a read

i have that book right on my shelf. i read it on the regular trying to make sense of it. i wish there were videos. awaiting the future e-book ha haaa haaaa. or documentary film.

Quote:
And Bayern poaching other players from the league? I'm SHOCKED.
the guy used to be in an english team before. haarkonen or something? (lol dune). haka-something. hold on...

i know it's a croatian guy

KRAMARIC´ <-- that thing on the C

that's teh guy

he's strong and massive but also fast-- the anti-pep hire! that has to be a good sign haa haaa haaa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrej_Kramarić

there ya go

--

speaking of pep: mandzukic and kroos headed for the CL final lololololololo
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2017, 04:47 AM   #8450
demonrail666
invito al cielo

That Michael Cox book will be a must read. Inverting the Pyramid is great.

Kramaric made no impression at all at Leicester. I didn't even know they'd sold him in the summer.
Old 05.08.2017, 10:48 AM   #8451
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
That Michael Cox book will be a must read. Inverting the Pyramid is great.

Kramaric made no impression at all at Leicester. I didn't even know they'd sold him in the summer.

Did you read his teaser chapter about that Newcastle/Liverpool game?

Old 05.08.2017, 12:59 PM   #8452
demonrail666
invito al cielo

LOL, ah 'that' game. I assumed that was precisely the kind of match that defied analysis. Like 'that' Hagler-Hearns fight. Sport as pure one-dimensional aggression. I just read the teaser though, and, what I really like about Cox's style is he can focus on the tactics without ignoring the sheer intensity of it all. A lot of tactics' heads get too cold about things, missing the real story, but he never seems to. Also interesting was how that definitely defined Keegan's Newcastle (and Keegan's managerial style as a whole), the stats for that season telli another story.

Also a bit of a nostalgia trip, reading about Collymore without mention of either Ulrika or dogging in the same sentence. (Hated him then, still hate him, only for different reasons.)

Brilliant stuff.
Old 05.08.2017, 02:05 PM   #8453
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i have that book right on my shelf. i read it on the regular trying to make sense of it. i wish there were videos. awaiting the future e-book ha haaa haaaa. or documentary film.

o

I agree about wanting videos relating to the matches he's talking about. Youtube is a bit shit for that.

Old 05.08.2017, 02:15 PM   #8454
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
LOL, ah 'that' game. I assumed that was precisely the kind of match that defied analysis. Like 'that' Hagler-Hearns fight. Sport as pure one-dimensional aggression. I just read the teaser though, and, what I really like about Cox's style is he can focus on the tactics without ignoring the sheer intensity of it all. A lot of tactics' heads get too cold about things, missing the real story, but he never seems to. Also interesting was how that definitely defined Keegan's Newcastle (and Keegan's managerial style as a whole), the stats for that season telli another story.

Also a bit of a nostalgia trip, reading about Collymore without mention of either Ulrika or dogging in the same sentence. (Hated him then, still hate him, only for different reasons.)

Brilliant stuff.

Crazy how one game can make you think that that's how Newcastle were for the whole season.

Cox does mention in that piece how it's an odd to try and unravel but it's good to read about it. I was *thinks* 10 at the time, didn't have sky and it was a school night so I definitely didn't see that game at the time. The only things I had to keep up with the games/teams were seeing Everton play, premier league stickers and teletext. Meaning I was never in the slightest knowledgeable about tactics in teams. Who is at 10?

Old 05.08.2017, 02:16 PM   #8455
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Videos would be great but getting the rights for the footage would be a nightmare. I suppose they could do CGI versions but it wouldn't be the same.

Watching Chelsea v Middlesbrough at the moment. I doubt this'll be one for for the archives.
Old 05.08.2017, 02:30 PM   #8456
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Videos would be great but getting the rights for the footage would be a nightmare. I suppose they could do CGI versions but it wouldn't be the same.

Watching Chelsea v Middlesbrough at the moment. I doubt this'll be one for for the archives.

They should do it with sensible soccer. None of this CGI shit

Old 05.08.2017, 03:59 PM   #8457
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
I was never in the slightest knowledgeable about tactics in teams. Who is at 10?

I don't think anyone in England was then. I'd say there's a cult of tactics now which probably started with the classicos between Mourinho and Pep, and their almost purist adoption of opposing styles. I don't remember a time when there's been so much interest in managers. People were always interested in managers but more as personality types (I'm thinking about Ramsey, Clough, Fergie, etc). Either way, I definitely think this cult of tactics has created an equivalent cult of the manager, especially online, in threads like this: it being easier to discuss their rational tactical decisions than trying to understand and explain what great players do. Obviously all this coincides with the rise of Messi and Ronaldo but there's really very little to say about them without falling back on words like 'brilliant' or 'incredible'. So in that sense, it's perhaps no coincidence that this new fascination with discussing tactics also created a cult around more cerebral players like Xavi and Pirlo. In an era of Keegan, Fowler, etc, I'm not sure this thread would've lasted as long as it did, and certainly wouldn't have been anywhere as interesting.
Old 05.08.2017, 04:04 PM   #8458
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
They should do it with sensible soccer. None of this CGI shit

Keep it real ...

Old 05.08.2017, 04:08 PM   #8459
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Keep it real ...

Just youtube videos of a guy excitedly explaining tactics in classic games with subbuteo? I'd watch it...

Old 05.08.2017, 04:11 PM   #8460
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
I don't think anyone in England was then. I'd say there's a cult of tactics now which probably started with the classicos between Mourinho and Pep, and their almost purist adoption of opposing styles. I don't remember a time when there's been so much interest in managers. People were always interested in managers but more as personality types (I'm thinking about Ramsey, Clough, Fergie, etc). Either way, I definitely think this cult of tactics has created an equivalent cult of the manager, especially online, in threads like this: it being easier to discuss their rational tactical decisions than trying to understand and explain what great players do. Obviously all this coincides with the rise of Messi and Ronaldo but there's really very little to say about them without falling back on words like 'brilliant' or 'incredible'. So in that sense, it's perhaps no coincidence that this new fascination with discussing tactics also created a cult around more cerebral players like Xavi and Pirlo. In an era of Keegan, Fowler, etc, I'm not sure this thread would've lasted as long as it did, and certainly wouldn't have been anywhere as interesting.

I'll sit on this one and talk further tomorrow

373413420421422 423 424425426433473523 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth