Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page How appropiately do you choose the music that suits your mood?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.19.2006, 05:48 PM   #21
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i have empirical but subjective proof of the relation between music & mood
- having country music as a musical background makes me physically violent
- having bland elevator music in the same role sends me into a deep depression
- listening to yo la tengo's "pass the hatchet, i think i'm goodking" puts me back in an excellent mood

i have to say, bikini kill, though often laughable, is great to combat a dull sonic environment as well

Ha. Funnily enough, I wrote my dissertation on music and moods. Well, it was a bit more sophisticated than that, but y'know. It's all to do with how music alludes to a Kantian sublime/ aesthetics, but is inclined towards the psychological edifices we create around it.

I'm finding, to my horror, that a lot of elevator/ light/ easy listening type stuff is actually really good. Herb Alpert. Someone out there must also love this man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2006, 05:52 PM   #22
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Well,sorry to burst your bubble mate but that isn't even worth a pantomine script.Of course music is mood enhancer.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2006, 05:54 PM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Ha. Funnily enough, I wrote my dissertation on music and moods. Well, it was a bit more sophisticated than that, but y'know. It's all to do with how music alludes to a Kantian sublime/ aesthetics, but is inclined towards the psychological edifices we create around it.

I'm finding, to my horror, that a lot of elevator/ light/ easy listening type stuff is actually really good. Herb Alpert. Someone out there must also love this man.

god damn interesting. before dropping out of my phd program, i had in mind this dissertation that linked musical pleasure with the linguistic centers of the brain that are responsible for the... "musical" aspect of language... very far-fetched, all i wanted to prove was that aesthetics has a physical reality and it's not some invention of the hegemonic capitalistic empire or whatever it is that post-stalinists postmodern want to argue to rob us of our delights.

anyway, for example, the relations of the system of musical notation and how the brain parses syllables in order to make sense of what it hears... and the effect of cadence in meaning, for example. no, it would require many beers and a proper bar to discuss this shit with any sort of cogency. this place is by far too inadequate to sustain such type of dialogue with any manner of intelletual honesty.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2006, 05:56 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
god damn interesting. before dropping out of my phd program, i had in mind this dissertation that linked musical pleasure with the linguistic centers of the brain that are responsible for the... "musical" aspect of language... very far-fetched, all i wanted to prove was that aesthetics has a physical reality and it's not some invention of the hegemonic capitalistic empire or whatever it is that post-stalinists postmodern want to argue to rob us of our delights.

anyway, for example, the relations of the system of musical notation and how the brain parses syllables in order to make sense of what it hears... and the effect of cadence in meaning, for example. no, it would require many beers and a proper bar to discuss this shit with any sort of cogency. this place is by far too inadequate to sustain such type of dialogue with any manner of intelletual honesty.

Word. Check yr PMs.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 10.19.2006, 05:58 PM   #25
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
A lot of people listen to happy music when they're in a bad mood, but I can't stand doing that. It makes me feel worse because the ARTIST is HAPPY and I'm not, so it's as if they're all in your face about it to me. I match up my moods. When I'm sad, nirvana, khanate, sunn0))), and some of the sadder material by Belle & Sebastian. When I'm sself confident it's often Dr.Dre, NaS, or other hip hop artists. When I feel like a pompous musical asshole, often excepter, Sun City Girls, Sun Ra, Funkadelic, etc...
Old 10.19.2006, 06:00 PM   #26
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
right now i'm kind of pissy and i don't want to hear anything.
Old 10.19.2006, 06:02 PM   #27
Glice
invito al cielo

I'm listening to the radio right now. It's the Late Junction. Everyone should listen to it. Really, you owe it to yourselves. [BBC Radio 3, you can stream it online. Although this programme finished in about 3 minutes. But do the listen again thing. Yes. Well done.]

Quote:
Old 10.19.2006, 06:39 PM   #28
Jico

How appropiately do you choose the music that suits your mood?

Playlist Shuffle.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2006, 10:43 PM   #29
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
I actually go through long periods of time in which I never listen to Rather Ripped.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2006, 10:45 PM   #30
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I'm very aware that everything I do dictates how I feel. So I do everything according to my mood or the mood that I want, this stretches further than music.
Old 10.19.2006, 11:08 PM   #31
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
Well if that's the case Cantanky, do you EVER listen to music?
oh, behave. i'm usually not in a sour mood, i just like to be a meanie.
Old 10.20.2006, 12:11 AM   #32
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Very well. I'm good at fitting music to moods. Then again, I'm not a fucking moron. I don't know how well it comes to you guys.
Old 10.20.2006, 03:34 AM   #33
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I'm more likely to avoid certain musics according to my mood than to pick certain types. If I'm feeling down in the dumps, the last thing I'm going to listen to is doomy depressing alt-country or black metal. I'm far more likely to be able to appreciate that sort of stuff when I'm in a good mood.

The only exception to this rule is classical-style post-rock, which can always put me in a good mood with its beauty, no matter how melancholy it may sound.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth