Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page top 10 directors/10 fave films by each director
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.20.2008, 08:56 AM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
what are your 10 favorite directors, and the five films you lvoe the most and feel best exemplify said director's vision?

me:

Sam Peckinpah:
The Wild Bunch
Strawdogs
The Getaway
Pat Garret abd Billy the Kid
Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

David Lynch:
Blue Velvet
Eraserhead
Mulholland Drive
Lost Highway
Wild at Heart

Akira Kurasawa:
Seven Sumurai
I Live in Fear
Throne of Blood
High and Low
The Hidden Fortress

David Cronenberg:
Crash
Dead Ringers
Videodrome
The Naked Lunch
Eastern Promises

Werner Herzog:
Aguirre, The Wrath of God
The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner
Nofeseratu the Vampyre
Strozek
Signs of Life

Jim Jarmusch:
Dead Man
Down by Law
Stranger than Paradise
Ghost Dog
Mysterey Train

Alfred Hitchcock:
Vertigo
The Birds
Psycho
Stranger on a Train
The Wrong Man

Roman Polanski:
Rosemary's Baby
Chinatown
Death and the Maiden
What?
Frantic

Martin Scorcese:
Raging Bull
Taxi Driver
The King of Comedy
Goodfellas
The Departed

The Coen Bros:
Blood Simple
No Country for Old Men
Miller's Crossing
Fargo
Raising Arizona

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Jean-Pierre Jeunet:
Foutaises
Delicatessen
Amelie

He is probably the only director I can think of as critically untouchable, I picked my favourite three.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 09:20 AM   #3
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
Martin Scorcese:
Raging Bull
Taxi Driver
The King of Comedy
Goodfellas
The Departed

I'm surprised you've not got Mean Streets in that list. Definitely my favourite film of his, along with Taxi Driver.

I watched Gangs of New York again the other day. I saw it at the cinema the first time around, and absolutely loved it. Watching it on TV afterwards I really didn't enjoy it at all though. A rare case of a film that really must be seen at the cinema. Alien's another one like that.

I don't have time for five films by ten directors but, off the top of my head, here's ten I could happily watch over and over again (and often do):

[Edited after some re-thinking]

Mean Streets
Stranger than Paradise
Saturday Night Fever
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Annie Hall
The Big Heat
Assault on Precinct 13
Duel
The French Connection
Basket Case
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 10:02 AM   #4
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Jan Svankmajer

Faust
The Room (Byt)
Dimensions of Dialogue (Can't remember the Czech title offhand)
The Death Of Stalinism in Bohemia
The Ossuary (Kostice??)

Mario Bava

Rabid Dogs
Shock
Danger Diabolik
Blood And Black Lace
A Bay Of Blood

Jean Luc-Godard

Au Bout De Souffle
Alphaville
Le Mepris
Weekend
British Sounds (a "banned" documentary)

Dario Argento

Tenebrae
Suspiria
Inferno
Profondo Rosso
The Bird With The Crystal Plumage

John Carpenter

The Thing (sheer genius)
Assault On Precinct 13
Dark Star
Halloween
The Fog

Sergio Leone

Once Upon A time In The West
Once Upon A Time In America
The Dollars Trilogy.

John Waters

Hairspray
Pink Flamingoes
Female Trouble
Desperate Living
Multiple Maniacs

Andy Warhol/Paul Morrisey

Trash
Flesh
Chelsea Girls
Screen Tests (not all of them, mind)
The Velvet Underground And Nico footage he shot

Terry Gilliam

Time Bandits
Jabberwocky
Monty Python And The Holy Grail
Twleve Monkeys
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas

Fritz Lang

M
Metropolis
Dr Mabuse, Der Spieler
The Big Heat
Testament of Dr Mabuse
Old 06.20.2008, 10:31 AM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm surprised you've not got Mean Streets in that list. Definitely my favourite film of his, along with Taxi Driver.

I watched Gangs of New York again the other day. I saw it at the cinema the first time around, and absolutely loved it. Watching it on TV afterwards I really didn't enjoy it at all though. A rare case of a film that really must be seen at the cinema. Alien's another one like that.

I don't have time for five films by ten directors but, off the top of my head, here's ten I could happily watch over and over again (and often do):

Mean Streets
Stranger than Paradise
Saturday Night Fever
Black Narcissus
i Vitelloni
The Wicker Man
Jaws
Witchfinder General
Mirror
Talk to Her

'gangs of new york' had potential to be his best film, great story, amazing sets, beautiful costumes, sharp editing, ridiculous battle scenes, and, DANIEL DAY LEWIS. DDL is the best actor alive, he makes movies that would be otherwise weak, amazing (the ballad of jack and rose, last of the mohicans, my left shoe, in the name of the father, etc...). but it dissapointed for a variety of reasons. first, the studio chopped the shit out of this film, it should have been way more brutal and violent, actually, scorcese's most violent film, but in the wake of 9/11, they made scorcese get rid of a lot of the gore. also, cameron diaz was totally miscast, she was abysmal. dicaprio, was also horrible (though this was the film when he started to show promise, he was excellent in the aviator and especially the departed, scorcese has made him the great actor he should have always been), and the scenes between the two were almost embarassing. the scenes between dicaprio and day-lewis, were funny because day-lewis completley up staged him every time, that said, its still a good movie.

i do love 'mean streets', but i love it more as a film that gave a glimpse of how brilliant scorcese was, but i dont feel it is nearly the best representation of his talent. also, there was too much keitel and not enough deniro. to me, it wasnt untill 'taxi driver' that scorcese proved he was gonna be one of the best ever.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 10:39 AM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
this feels like homework right now...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 10:41 AM   #7
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
God, I really hated "Gangs Of New York" when it came out - overlong, by and large miscast with some textbook wooden acting (ues, I'm looking at you, DiCaprio and Diaz), boring in long stretches, and lumbered with one of the worst soundtracks I think I've heard in a mainstream Hollywood film, which is saying something. I don't think I've bothered seeing a Scorcese film since.
Old 06.20.2008, 10:55 AM   #8
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
'gangs of new york' had potential to be his best film, great story, amazing sets, beautiful costumes, sharp editing, ridiculous battle scenes, and, DANIEL DAY LEWIS. DDL is the best actor alive, he makes movies that would be otherwise weak, amazing (the ballad of jack and rose, last of the mohicans, my left shoe, in the name of the father, etc...). but it dissapointed for a variety of reasons. first, the studio chopped the shit out of this film, it should have been way more brutal and violent, actually, scorcese's most violent film, but in the wake of 9/11, they made scorcese get rid of a lot of the gore. also, cameron diaz was totally miscast, she was abysmal. dicaprio, was also horrible (though this was the film when he started to show promise, he was excellent in the aviator and especially the departed, scorcese has made him the great actor he should have always been), and the scenes between the two were almost embarassing. the scenes between dicaprio and day-lewis, were funny because day-lewis completley up staged him every time, that said, its still a good movie.

I pretty much agree with everything you say about GoNY. Although I actually think Di Caprio made a very good job of what was a very difficult role to play. DDL steals every scene but it's sort of made easy for him with a character like Bill. Di Caprio's character gave him far less space to move around and I think he did real well in the circumstances. I definitely agree though that he really came into his own in The Departed: a film I'm not entirely convinced by (Jack Nicholson is dreadful) but Di Caprio really is fantastic in it.

Cameron Diaz was definitely miscast and there's clearly no chemistry between her and Di Caprio. Her character just seems to have no real purpose in the film, to the point where it becomes rather like an extended cameo.

I do think the film works a lot better in the cinema though. It has a grandeur about it which makes details less evident than they are when watching at home.

I didn't know that the studio toned down the violence post 9/11, interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
John Carpenter

The Thing (sheer genius)
Assault On Precinct 13
Dark Star
Halloween
The Fog

That'd be my top five for Carpenter as well - although I might put Assault at the top.

The Thing has a bleakness about it which is simply awesome. Definitely his darkest film. I just think Assault is about as close to perfection as he ever got. Supposedly it had a modest critical reception in the US when it was released but when French critics saw it, they immediately deemed Carpenter a genius. I can see what they meant. It's just perfect in the same way that Spielberg's Duel is perfect.

There are moments in The Fog which are the match of anything he's ever done, but I feel that the film sort of runs out of puff in the last half an hour. Brilliant but anybody else's standards though.

Quote:

i do love 'mean streets', but i love it more as a film that gave a glimpse of how brilliant scorcese was, but i dont feel it is nearly the best representation of his talent. also, there was too much keitel and not enough deniro. to me, it wasnt untill 'taxi driver' that scorcese proved he was gonna be one of the best ever.

The more I think about Mean Streets the more i just love it. From the opening shot of Keitel in bed to the climax with the mafio boss watching The Big Heat on TV, I just can't fault it. In many ways it's a sort of antidote to the Godfather: little upstarts, doing pointless deals in cheap-shit restaurants and tiny dive bars instead of big-wigs flexing political muscle in large mansions. you can see how it informed almost everything Scorsese has done since, but IMO, he's never matched it. An absolutely amazing film. And Keitel is just a revelation in it. Probably my favourite character in any film.

"You don't fuck with the infinite." Brilliance.
Old 06.20.2008, 11:32 AM   #9
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Stanley Kubrick:

2001: A Space Oddessy
A Clockwork Orange
Dr. StrangeLove
Barry Lydon
Paths of Glory
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 11:44 AM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:

Sergio Leone

Once Upon A time In The West
The Dollars Trilogy.

I just don't really get the whole Leone thing at all. I couldn't stand Once Upon a Time in America. The Dollars trilogy is OK, but they all seem to sort of bleed into one film - to the point where all I can really remember is ponchos.
Old 06.20.2008, 11:46 AM   #11
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Jan Svankmajer

Dario Argento

Tenebrae
Suspiria
Inferno
Profondo Rosso
The Bird With The Crystal Plumage

Sergio Leone

John Waters

Hairspray
Pink Flamingoes
Female Trouble
Desperate Living
Multiple Maniacs

Fritz Lang

M
Metropolis
Dr Mabuse, Der Spieler
The Big Heat
Testament of Dr Mabuse

I like your choices, put together.
Never saw any Svanmajer film though, but I remember a picture from Alice and it looked interesting.
I've linked him with Ladislas Starevitch for some reason.

My own would have :

Jean Renoir - La règle du jeu / Le fleuve
David Lynch - Mulholland Drive / Eraserhead
Jerzy Skolimowski - Deep End / Moonlighting

probably
Alain Resnais - Providence / Mélo
George A. Romero - Martin / Dawn of the Dead

and
Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau - Nosferatu / Sunrise
John Boorman - Deliverance / Leo the Last / Point Blank

and maybe Argento and Waters too
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 12:07 PM   #12
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
I like your choices, put together.
Never saw any Svanmajer film though, but I remember a picture from Alice and it looked interesting.
I've linked him with Ladislas Starevitch for some reason.

My own would have :

Jean Renoir - La règle du jeu / Le fleuve
David Lynch - Mulholland Drive / Eraserhead
Jerzy Skolimowski - Deep End / Moonlighting

probably
Alain Resnais - Providence / Mélo
George A. Romero - Martin / Dawn of the Dead

and
Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau - Nosferatu / Sunrise
John Boorman - Deliverance / Leo the Last / Point Blank

and maybe Argento and Waters too

That's a classy list. La Regle du Jeu clearly warrants a top spot but it's not a film I find myself watching over again. But yeah, it, 8 1/2 and Citizen Kane are about as good as cinema gets in lots of ways. And yet I can honestly say that I never want to ever have to sit through Citizen Kane ever again.

I've never seen Deep End, but it's a film I keep looking out for. For some reason it has no distributer in the UK, despite officially being a 'British' film.

Martin is a film I watch probably more than any other by Romero. In many ways it's his least typical movie but I love its simple gloominess.

I'm slowly coming to think that Argento is among the most overrated filmmakers there is. I like bits of lots of his films but haven't yet seen one which is good throughout.
Old 06.20.2008, 12:30 PM   #13
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Stanley Kubrick:

A Clockwork Orange
Dr. StrangeLove
Barry Lydon
Paths of Glory
I'm disappointed by the lack of Eyes Wide Shut.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 01:04 PM   #14
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm slowly coming to think that Argento is among the most overrated filmmakers there is. I like bits of lots of his films but haven't yet seen one which is good throughout.

I think that, in terms of his overall career, he's made a few decent films followed by a whole bunch of godawful super-size turkeys. I didn't like "Opera" at all, and the whole point of "The Stendhal Syndrome" seemed, well, pointless. As for his "classic period", I personally do like a lot of this, but will admit that a lot of that comes from Argento's sense of art direction, which although not original (taking a lot of his cues from Mario Bava), still is striking and very "painterly", in a way. I have to admit that directing actors is not one of Argento's stronger points - look at Michael Brandon's rather wooden performance in "Four Flies On Grey Velvet", for example. Still, when all is said and done, I still rate Argento overall for his early work.

On a footnote, I only wish that Michaele Soavi hadn't had to retire to look after his son, and been given full creative control (i.e. No D Argento mentoring/interfering!) on at least one film. Now that would have been quite something, I reckon.

Re Leone - the "Dollars" film have been over-lionised a bit, but me still like 'em. Mind you, their visual look inspired Fields Of The Nephilim. Argh!!!
Old 06.20.2008, 01:12 PM   #15
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
I think that, in terms of his overall career, he's made a few decent films followed by a whole bunch of godawful super-size turkeys. I didn't like "Opera" at all, and the whole point of "The Stendhal Syndrome" seemed, well, pointless. As for his "classic period", I personally do like a lot of this, but will admit that a lot of that comes from Argento's sense of art direction, which although not original (taking a lot of his cues from Mario Bava), still is striking and very "painterly", in a way. I have to admit that directing actors is not one of Argento's stronger points - look at Michael Brandon's rather wooden performance in "Four Flies On Grey Velvet", for example. Still, when all is said and done, I still rate Argento overall for his early work.

On a footnote, I only wish that Michaele Soavi hadn't had to retire to look after his son, and been given full creative control (i.e. No D Argento mentoring/interfering!) on at least one film. Now that would have been quite something, I reckon.

Re Leone - the "Dollars" film have been over-lionised a bit, but me still like 'em. Mind you, their visual look inspired Fields Of The Nephilim. Argh!!!

Good point about Soavi. Dellamorte Dellamore is a great film. Stagefright was a bit meh, but even there you could see he had something.

I dunno. I like Argento but I increasingly find watching even his 'classic' stuff a bit tiresome. Suspiria is amazing for the first and last half an hour but it just sleepwalks through the middle section. I actually think the idea behind the Stendhal Syndrome was a really good one, but it was so badly executed as to be almost unwatchable. Even so, i do have a weird soft spot for it. For me, Deep Red is probably the most all around successfull film he's made but even that declines into almost total incoherency during the middle.

Haha re the Nephilim influence. Absolutely!
Old 06.20.2008, 02:41 PM   #16
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I'm disappointed by the lack of Eyes Wide Shut.
I haven't seen that yet, but I am disappointed by the lack of Full Metal Jacket.
Old 06.20.2008, 03:13 PM   #17
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Stanley Kubrick:

A Clockwork Orange
Dr. StrangeLove
Barry Lydon
Paths of Glory

I started out with a top ten that included "The Killing" ", "Lolita", Killer's Kiss" "Full Metal Jacket" and "Eyes Wide Shut", but most people are posting thier top five.
Old 06.20.2008, 03:15 PM   #18
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
David Lynch:
Blue Velvet
Eraserhead
Mulholland Drive
Lost Highway
Wild at Heart
Did you not like Inland Empire? I thought it was his best. (Haven't seen Blue Velvet, though.)
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 03:17 PM   #19
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Did you not like Inland Empire? I thought it was his best. (Haven't seen Blue Velvet, though.)

Then you don't know your Lynch.
Old 06.20.2008, 03:31 PM   #20
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Then you don't know your Lynch.
If by "know", you mean looked at his work for anything but entertainment, then you're right.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth