Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Marx Brothers
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.13.2006, 06:49 PM   #1
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
These guys are amazing. I could watch their films all day, everyday. Please, tell me there are some fans of them on this board.

This could also turn into a favorite Marx Brothers poll, so look out.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 08:04 PM   #2
Kim C Not G
bad moon rising

Kim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the rough
I lovvvee them. I have the boxset. I love how all different styles of humor are shown within them. Groucho is my favorite of course. His humor is so smooth and fast. If I were alive back in the day, I'd be one of the chicks hanging over him haha.
Kim C Not G is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 09:44 PM   #3
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Only 1 reply??

I wish I had that box set. I've only seen Duck Soup and Horse Feathers, but those 2 are amazing. I don't even know how to explain it, it's just crazy.
Old 04.13.2006, 09:48 PM   #4
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
I've seen 2 or 3 of their movies - they're very funny. I should watch them again, it's been a few years.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:04 PM   #5
Kim C Not G
bad moon rising

Kim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the rough
Don't their movies kinda make you hate the comedy nowadays almost? Like how low we've become or something haha.
Kim C Not G is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:59 PM   #6
samrago
little trouble girl

samrago kicks all y'all's assessamrago kicks all y'all's assessamrago kicks all y'all's assessamrago kicks all y'all's assessamrago kicks all y'all's assessamrago kicks all y'all's assessamrago kicks all y'all's assessamrago kicks all y'all's assessamrago kicks all y'all's assessamrago kicks all y'all's assessamrago kicks all y'all's asses
I saw this post and couldn't resist. who could forget that mirror dance in duck soup? magnificent!
samrago is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 12:31 AM   #7
Flen flyys
little trouble girl

Flen flyys has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Oh man, I love the Marx Brothers, especially Graucho. It's strange, I'm not usually super into physical comedy, but there are times when Harpo has made me laugh out loud uncontrolably. I'm just a huge fan of all their movies. There's an old movie theater around where I live and they show Marx Brother's movies from time to time...I've only been to see 'A Night at the Opera' but it's great on the big screen in an old-timey theater.
Old 04.14.2006, 01:23 AM   #8
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
they say a mans bestfriend outside of a dog is a book. inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Old 04.14.2006, 01:51 AM   #9
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
Duck Soup is gold. I've also seen the one where they're on a cruise ship or something and they keep piling a bunch of people into a cabin, can't remember the name of it.
Old 04.14.2006, 05:27 PM   #10
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheGroovey
Duck Soup is gold. I've also seen the one where they're on a cruise ship or something and they keep piling a bunch of people into a cabin, can't remember the name of it.

yeah, I found that clip on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLIYu...arx%20brothers
Old 04.14.2006, 05:33 PM   #11
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I love the Marx brothers. Groucho is my favorite. I also love the musical numbers. They are very talented musicians. There is a scene, I think it is in a day at the races, where chico plays the piano, and then harpo takes the harp out of the piano and plays it. Great stuff.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2006, 04:28 AM   #12
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
They were so great & wild. How can Harpo burn so many books (was that in Soup?). Duck Soup is wonderful.
I used to be really fond of Harpo when I was young, then I found Groucho to be classier, and now & then I tend to favour Chico whose talk amazes me (taxes, taxis, Texas in Duck Soup).
A bit like Sonic Youth maybe - hard to pick the one who turns you on the most.
Lee with a moustache? Kim as Harpo? Thurston with a shapeless hat? Steve as Zeppo (or better, dressed as Margaret Dumont)?
Love it when Groucho sits on the dames lap, when he faces his fake reflections in Duck Soup, love it when Harpo bludgeons don't-know-who in Opera...
What I like is that they don't make any kind of pause for the audience to laugh, recover & start from all over again. They carry on their random cruelty.
(By the way "Carry On" was a series of English comedies I never saw, said to be terribly openly stupid).
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 10:02 AM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I checked out all their movies from the library a few years back. great fucking anarchic stuff. I forward past the plot point shit when the marxes are not on screen though.
Harpo cracks me the fuck up ridiculous with his faces.

!!!
Old 04.17.2006, 12:35 PM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i've seen a few of them and while i liked them they were not as funny as i expected

buster keaton however gives me bellyaches--
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2012, 02:48 PM   #15
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Buster Keaton is boring.
Old 11.13.2012, 02:58 PM   #16
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Buster Keaton is boring.
True enough.

These three words alone are funnier than all of Buster Keaton's films put together:

Anything further father.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2012, 03:06 PM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

"I couldn't fool you on a piece of pipe, not a woman like you." - Groucho Marx
Old 11.13.2012, 03:08 PM   #18
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Buster Keaton is boring.

<-----No I'm not.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2012, 03:12 PM   #19
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
This is probably good enough to prove otherwise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlkdtS8OFlA

Anyway, I don't see the point in comparing a great silent comedian to a great comedy troupe (other than the films are in b&w and American).

By the way, HORSE FEATHERS often gets overlooked. It shouldn't. One of the Marxs' best.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2012, 03:21 PM   #20
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Horse Feathers is awesome.

Their first 5-6 films work best as anarchy. after that the studios tried to make actual plot-driven drama films with the Marx Bros as comedic element.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth